RE: Kids w/ Classic Autism, PDD-NOS & Speech Delays

Page 111 of 116 [ 1849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 116  Next

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 8:28 pm

Yeah welcome Bkdad82 and we get you. I said a few years back in relation to my sons type of Autism that even being on this Wrongplanet website for me seems less like being on the Wrongplanet, but more like a strange moon orbiting that planet.
I take my son to an Autism holiday programme. Its really well run and staffed, but the thing that used to strike me was the differences in the kids. My son is non verbal and spends his time outside spinning straws and ignoring people. Other kids there are coming up to me and showing me magic tricks or trying to tell me about the mechanism behind cloud formations.

If I could give one piece of advice looking back on how things have gone for us, it would be to be gentle and patient with your son. It's gotta be a strange and scary world for him.
And try not to worry too much, he will develop though it will just be at a different pace and trajectory from 'typical' kids.

subhanrukh
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2016, 9:40 pm

Hi all,

my son has a lot of regression. He was 18 months (last oct 2015) picking up everything you can think of and some. At the current point he's 2 and a half and has lost most speech. he just wants to climb things all day, and gets happy at making circles. He also doesn't like company at all. Has anyone had similar experience if not similar close to mine? can you tell where you are now and what helped and didn't?

thanks

ps. if you need more info let me know.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

Hi Subhanrukh

My daughter had a regression around 3-4 yrs but up to then she was developing normally (perhaps weren't looking closely enough?)

It doesn't sound like he has behavioral problems so ABA may not be necessary. At his age physical play should be encouraged (as with any child up to 6) as that's more important than academic learning. Let him enjoy climbing and engaging in physical activity.

Don't worry too much about the loss of speech as many children develop later in childhood or adolescence. If you are worried then engage a speech therapist to work with him but he is still quite young and has lots of growing to do.

I realise boys and girls develop differently so perhaps another poster here with a boy could give you their perspective/experiences.

father
Raven
Raven

22 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

The same thing, ASD. Get ABA therapy in most deficits, try the regular classroom see how it works,it's AN marathon,take every day at at time.don't think of what,when,where ,that will just drain yu FR nothing.with the right therapy and home love (very imp) ,he'll develop to yr amazement ,these kids have no limits,they ar all different and no one would know how far they develop,most of them come to be amazingly well snd social and verbal VRY good just hold on.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 5:33 am

Bump. My boy is 10 now, how time flies.
Working on him independantly dressing himself and getting him to help with little tasks around the house such as hand me a few items when we are hanging out the washing, little things like that.

If nothing it keeps him engaged and places demands on him. Keep that expectation there..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 4:44 am

nostromo wrote:
Working on him independantly dressing himself and getting him to help with little tasks around the house such as hand me a few items when we are hanging out the washing, little things like that.

If nothing it keeps him engaged and places demands on him. Keep that expectation there..

Happy birthday to your son Nostromo :)

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 2:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
nostromo wrote:

Happy birthday to your son Nostromo :)

Thanks. Just noticed this now :-D Hope you and your daughter are well Cyberdad..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 3:47 am

Hi Nostromo

Entering new territory which is picking a new highschool

I guess you'll be following this same journey soon!! :|

No idea what to do??

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 5:34 pm

Yeah, next year James has to go to Intermediate so yes gotta pick a new school. We are very happy with the current school he is at and he likes it there too, but he's getting to the age where he needs to move on up so we have all that to deal with..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 2:05 am

Yes my daughter is loving her current primary school but we have no idea how she is going to cope with mainstream highschool?

Highschool students are like young versions of adults, my daughter is going to face a lot of new challenges

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:31 am

I'm not a kid per se, but I think I have PDD-NOS, not anything else, like AS or anything. I like it better as that, or, as it's often called, atypical autism, because there are no or few stereotypes people have about this label because it isn't really a label.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 11:05 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
I'm not a kid per se, but I think I have PDD-NOS, not anything else, like AS or anything. I like it better as that, or, as it's often called, atypical autism, because there are no or few stereotypes people have about this label because it isn't really a label.

As far as I know you are the first person with PDD-NOS to post on this thread so welcome aboard :)

blukarma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2018, 9:18 pm

Second post on this board. I've got two sons with autism. One is very verbal although he has trouble with concepts like yesterday or tomorrow. He also only talks about what he wants to talk about which is fine with me. The other, the younger of the two is nonverbal and isn't potty trained and while he is vocal doesn't have any words that I can discern. I am emotionally connected to him and he to me, but I sometimes wonder if there isn't anything I can do to get some kind of communication break through. He has been extremely frustrated of late and prone to biting himself and banging his head. These episodes can last as long as an hour and are quite nerve wracking.

On a positive note I've been taking both kids to restaurants since they were little. And, I usually time it so that it is a quieter time in the restaurant and both generally behave and look forward to visiting the pizzeria or mexican joint. It's also a down time for me as there are no dishes to wash or food to cook!

I've really been looking for anything that would give a glimpse into the future. Something that might shed light on what I can expect in adolescence and beyond. The older has started puberty and after a couple of talks he goes to his room and does his thing and cleans up with a towel. I know that might be TMI but after dreading the day he discovered what his bundle of joy was for I was afraid I wouldn't be able to explain it to him. But in the end it was a piece of cake.

Of course, I'm interested in just beyond that. I'd like to know if your nonverbal ever started talking and what his/her disposition was. Mine is also an elopement risk although he has made significant improvement on that as well.

thanks,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 4:10 am

blukarma wrote:
The older has started puberty and after a couple of talks he goes to his room and does his thing and cleans up with a towel. I know that might be TMI but after dreading the day he discovered what his bundle of joy was for I was afraid I wouldn't be able to explain it to him. But in the end it was a piece of cake.
thanks,

I have a 12yr old girl and I honestly just leave my wife to deal with this stuff

Vikylchik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2018, 7:11 am

Hello dears! My name is Victoria, I have a son diagnosed with autism. He was 5 years old. Now I'm expecting a second child-a girl. I'm from Russia, Moscow. In our country, the problem of autism is rapidly gaining momentum. I myself study ABA therapy and study at the University as a teacher, master's degree. I really want to talk to my neighbors across the ocean, find friends and just share information! I will be very glad to meet and communicate. Sorry for the language, I speak English is not very, although she taught 11 years, but the practice was not at all. Therefore, I use an ordinary translator. But I think we with you each other will understand ))) :D

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2018, 2:46 pm

A bit disappointing not getting to know the full story on all these amazing kids and parents featuring in this thread. I spent the summer reading a bit every evening and found it really interesting apart from the bit on cricket or rugby (?) which I scrolled through pretty fast (should be football/soccer to catch my interest :wink: ). Not only is it an interesting thread but also a time document. Some of these children are heading towards adulthood. I'm hoping things didn't turn out nasty and you had to stop typing. Just a lot of unanswered questions like if Wreck-Gar now is a multi millionaire youtuber? Washi's boys are doing ok? etc. I know the platform for discussions have changed dramatically in the last few years going from forums to Facebook and other modern, fast available discussion boards, so that's probably a reason to why there's less activity in here. I'm a bit tempted to add my own son to the mix, but at the same time he's only 2,5 and we'd probably need to wait another decade to know how he turns out.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022