Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ctawk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2011, 11:14 am

It seems to really affect me when I get dirty looks from people. It blows because bc I cant really do anything about it.

I went to a restaurant with my family, I'm sitting down, thinking. I had an idea, and I made this manuerism, "oh..thats great idea". The waiter catches me and then gives me a dirty look, like "Your strange". Then a few minutes later, he does it again. I couldn't do anything about it. I guess there's two questions: first, are our manuerisms a problem in society? Do we have similar manuerisms? Are people not allowed to show that they are thinking?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:53 am

ctawk wrote:
It seems to really affect me when I get dirty looks from people. It blows because bc I cant really do anything about it.

I went to a restaurant with my family, I'm sitting down, thinking. I had an idea, and I made this manuerism, "oh..thats great idea". The waiter catches me and then gives me a dirty look, like "Your strange". Then a few minutes later, he does it again. I couldn't do anything about it. I guess there's two questions: first, are our manuerisms a problem in society? Do we have similar manuerisms? Are people not allowed to show that they are thinking?

If I am bigger than the person who is giving me the stink eye I give them the finger. If they get mad when you flip them off just laugh at them. (Joking :P )

But seriously, when people give me a weird look in a waiting room or when I am in line for something I try to start up a conversation with them. This is completely uncomfortable for me but I do it but I can usually force myself. I try my best to be funny or charming its better than people looking at you like a weirdo. I have noticed people I have talked to in the past wave at me instead of glaring at me.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:00 pm

ctawk wrote:

Yes I hate that. I can't stand those looks. I can't tell you how to fix it because its still a problem with me.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:07 pm

I have no idea about mannerisms. My kids tell me that people give me funny looks, generally I am oblivious to that sort of thing. But I just assume if I get weird looks it is because I look a bit odd in both physical appearance and in how I dress and such.... but I have also been told I walk strangely. It could be many things with me. I pay no mind to it. The people who give me odd looks are not in my life. They are not important to me. Why should I care what they think about how I look? Thing is, you cannot do anything about it. There will always be some people who do things like that... it is one of those, 'you can't make everybody happy' things, I think... always going to be somebody who hates on you for something...

But if it really does bother you, I think Todesking has a lovely idea about making conversation if you are able. That would shut the person up if you are being charming or whatnot... then they could see that you are a decent person and if they kept on being jerky, that makes them clearly the ass in the situation.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:18 pm

Smile

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 2:05 pm

I give them the 1,000-yard stare. It creeps people out. I enjoy it. :twisted:

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:05 pm

I can't tell if people are giving me dirty looks, or if I'm just being paranoid, so I try to just ignore it. It gets me down though.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:47 pm

I think everyone gives me funny looks...

...when they DO actually give me funny looks, I give them right back.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 1:48 am

Happens to me all the time... because I do it all the time by accident.

I'm not positive why, but people who don't know me find it really *really* unnerving when I look in their direction. I guess I never learned eye contact etiquette or something. The bit I find really odd is that there have been several instances where I got to know some of those people later and to a person none of them seem to recall past incidents where I guess I looked too intensely their direction.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 1:37 am

well, it helps that I'm usually the biggest, scariest guy in the room, so most people don't try and cross me... but if the do start with the dirty looks or comments I do one of the following:

A: Ignoring them, while continuing to do what ever it was that made them mad in the first place.

B: Shoot a dirty look right back at them, most people will back down if you glare at them long enough.

C: Flip them off.

it mostly just depends on what mood I'm in.

in the end just ignoring them is probably the best way to handle it. but sometimes I just feel like messing with them.

saltkin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2017, 3:45 pm

Some people are just rude :| There's nothing you can do about that, it's their problem not yours.
It's really difficult to tell yourself that when random strangers are staring you out on the street though, it's so infuriating, I feel your pain.
People stare at me a lot, it really bugs me, and they just don't look away! It's like they're trying to be intimidating. If someone catches you staring at them, y'know, it's the decent thing to look away, not continue staring right into their eyes like a creep.
It takes a lot to get me angry, usually, but dirty looks from strangers is enough to get me in the mood for a punching bag. Some people just seem to have no shame, it drives me n u t s 8O
there are a lot of nasty people in the world.
Try smiling, but don't let them walk all over you. If they're just being rude, just give them a dirty look right back, you shouldn't just have to stand there and let them put you down.
This is a strange thing I experience, (sorry to ramble on forever) but I've never ever had problems from people my own age, whenever I am given dirty looks, or stared at, it's always by grown adults which just makes me even angrier, they should know so much better. Does anyone else have a problem like that? Or am I just universally hated by OAPS for some strange reason.
I don't understand why people always have to be so needlessly horrible to others
There's only so much time you should spend worrying about it though, because it won't do your happiness any good in the long term to dwell on it :) (...but flipping them off can always help, too.)

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 2:26 am

ctawk wrote:

Of course you are allowed to show what you're thinking, and I hope you didn't leave that dumbwaiter :P a tip.