Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:17 pm

Will no one learn to read?

I point out that it is at least peculiar that people who complain about the evangelical drives of some Christians would themselves manifest an equally obvnoxious evangelical drive/

This is an attack?

I do not attack atheists.

I do not try to convert atheists.

In my atheist days I would have resented any such attempt - which never came at me from any Christians.

In my atheist days I did not attack Christians.

I did not try to convert Christians.

These days I resent any such attempt - which NOW come at me constantly rom certain atheists.

Several atheist PPRites will, I think, testify that I gladly and openly and regularly fraternize and discuss matters of com,mon interest with them. You will note I do not equally fraternize wthe the heavy handed theists.

JUST BECAUSE HALF THE PEOPLE HERE SUFFER FROM EARLY ONSET STUPIDITY AND ARE CONSTANTLY ATTACKING OTHERS - does not mean everybody is.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:54 pm

Your point is that you are not trying to convert atheists and neither should atheists try to convert you. But you do argue about your beliefs so passionately. I for one don't think there is anything wrong with that. But you would like to make the atheists look wrong for it even though you do it yourself.

Or would you like to point out posts from atheists in WP that are more "evangelical" than you are when they post their opinion?

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:49 pm

psychohist wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Could the evangelically minded atheists please confine themselves to attacking the evangelically minded theists [whether Christian or other]?

Good luck on that.

yeah, what he said... peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 10:02 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Your point is that you are not trying to convert atheists and neither should atheists try to convert you. But you do argue about your beliefs so passionately. I for one don't think there is anything wrong with that. But you would like to make the atheists look wrong for it even though you do it yourself.

Or would you like to point out posts from atheists in WP that are more "evangelical" than you are when they post their opinion?

I am not aware that I have posted anything aimed at convincing any atheist to believe in a divine entity. I have frequently tried to defend myself against the charge that I am dumb for myself believing, and to point out the flaws in, for example, the too frequently cited syllogism:

God is supposed to be good and omnipotent

I am not happy with my living conditions

Therefore God cannot exist.

If you can locate a post in which I have tried to convince others of God's existence [as opposed to critiquing arguments against] please point it out.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

12 May 2011, 5:07 am

Philologos wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Philologos wrote:
one has the impression you sometimes shoot from thde hip without aiming or asking for the password.

If people fallaciously ascribe to others character traits based on mannerisms they subjectively presume to be emergent of them,
that is a lack of a theory of mind.

Is that your own?

Yes. Whose else?

Philologos wrote:
"Diss Blast" was intended as an objective descriptor of one facet of your perceived interaction here.

More of a connotative impact than a factual one- definitely not objective.

Philologos wrote:
Actually, I find your dissing refreshingly free of acid. It is not a mode of letting off steam I can access, but it is not problematic. You do it rather well.

Oh. Glad you approve. :D

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

12 May 2011, 5:10 am

A theist arguing there is a deity is "defending his beliefs".
An atheist responding with the academic equivalent of "ROFL" is "attacking religion and believers".

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 9:12 am

Bethie wrote:
A theist arguing there is a deity is "defending his beliefs".
An atheist responding with the academic equivalent of "ROFL" is "attacking religion and believers".

A theist who, uninvited, aims at convincing another that his beliefs are true is not defending anything.

A theist who responds expressing nonbelief is not attacking.

A Conspiracy Theory scientist [believing theists are a clear and present danger] will often be defending or preemptively attacking.

THIS theist [and, in the day, this atheist] sees no reason to attack or defend on these issues, but gets worked up if he is called an idiot, or if he is attacked by an idiot.

There is a story about one of the Desert Fathers. The guys got together - they had a lot of fun - and agreed to throw a lot of names and accusations at him, to see how he would react. Sort of fraternity hazing.

He just smilled, took it, occasionally gouing , "Yes, I'm a sinner" or "You could be right". Then thery called him a heretic - and he reared up and said I am NOT a heretic. To him, THAT one was serious.

You tell me I am misusing words or pervderting logic - or you do those to me - and stand back.