Medium-Fair 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
Tan 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
Dark 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 97

Matt55
Raven
Raven

10 May 2011, 7:09 pm

I'm conducting reasearch into the coorelation between racial/ethnic characteristics and ASD's.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:11 pm

Mine's fair. Don't forget to do a natural hair color poll :wink:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:17 pm

VERY fair

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:37 pm

You missed out Translucent or 'English Rose' :)
We're on a whole other level to 'very fair'

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:40 pm

:lol:

I declare this poll racist, as "fair" tones are over-represented.

JUST KIDDING. You should know we'd be nitpicky about all these things. :lol:

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:40 pm

Asperger's racial profiling...

I don't even answer this question on medical, government or employment forms.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2011, 7:41 pm

My skin is a dark chocolate color disproving the notion that only whites can have Asperger's Syndrome.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2011, 7:43 pm

I would say that my skin color is equal the #29 on the grid above. Am I the darkest Aspie on WP?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:58 pm

it's more medium fair now due to living in a tropical climate for several years (heaps of sunburn and sun exposure) but when I was a child it was very fair, so I said "very fair" on the poll because I'm assuming you're after racial characteristics and that would be my genetic skin colour (and my current would be environmental).

Matt55
Raven
Raven

10 May 2011, 8:00 pm

I'm not a racist in any shape or form! I'm simply trying to find out which populations are more susceptible to Autism and Asperger's, and even more importantly: Which populations did Autism originate in? I believe that this could really help shed some light on the evolutionary aspects of ASD's. If we discover what purpose Autism served in it's original populations, I firmly believe that it will dramatically advance our understanding of Autism and how best to treat it. Given that we will understand it's very nature and how and why it came to be in the first place.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:02 pm

Normally, mine's a 4 on Zen's chart. Right now I have a tan from all my outdoor exercising. With the tan, it's a 16.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2011, 8:08 pm

I'm fair, and one who gets sunburns instead of a tan. I've even given up on self-tanners since they make me look orange.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:12 pm

Wow. I was thinking I have rarely seen a person below about 12 on that chart. :lol: I wonder if it's a matter of perception.

Matt55 wrote:
I'm not a racist in any shape or form! I'm simply trying to find out which populations are more susceptible to Autism and Asperger's, and even more importantly: Which populations did Autism originate in? I believe that this could really help shed some light on the evolutionary aspects of ASD's. If we discover what purpose Autism served in it's original populations, I firmly believe that it will dramatically advance our understanding of Autism and how best to treat it. Given that we will understand it's very nature and how and why it came to be in the first place.

Well, the problem with that is that certain populations are more likely to be diagnosed (even self-diagnosed) than others, so the most you're likely to determine from polling a web site is a profile of people with higher functioning ASD who both use the internet and are likely to identify/admit to the problem.

Edit: Oh yeah, and who speak English.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2011, 8:18 pm

Zen wrote:
Wow. I was thinking I have rarely seen a person below about 12 on that chart. :lol: I wonder if it's a matter of perception.

Matt55 wrote:

Well, the problem with that is that certain populations are more likely to be diagnosed (even self-diagnosed) than others, so the most you're likely to determine from polling a web site is a profile of people with higher functioning ASD who both use the internet and are likely to identify/admit to the problem.

I also think that certain ethnic groups are likely to do anything to avoid being diagnosed with any kind of neurological or psychological condition; not just Autism, but things like schizophrenia, bi-polar, etc due to stigma in the culture. My parents swore for the longest time that mental illness was strictly a "western phenomenon" and that everyone back in their home country of India learns to "fit in the norms" due to culture. The truth is that mental illness does exist in India; it's just that no one sees them in public as they are hidden away or killed in an accident "kitchen fire".

I can't change my dark brown skin but I have chosen to distance myself from the Indian community just because they don't accept me for who I am.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:20 pm

Zen wrote:

4 and 12 look about the same to me, so I went with 4 :wink:

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 10:15 pm

I think it has been proven that there is no correlation between race and ASDs. Also, the survey is going to be off anyway since most people around here seem to be from USA, Canada, and the UK where people with various shades of fair skin are the majority. The results might still be interesting, of course, just not very scientific.