I'm feeling rather depressed lately [Mother issues]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:10 am

That came out of nowhere. I'm just in a lot of hurt.
I didn't mean it like that~

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:11 pm

You are not alone. When I was a child I used to pretend my cat was my real mother. My cat was affectionate, nurturing, and genuinely interested in me as a fellow mammal. As I've matured, I learned more about my mom's struggles as a human on earth.

It's complicated.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

It sounds to me like you are suffering from depression (sleep issues are often triggered by depression) and your mom is suffering from ... something.

Maybe sharing some of my own experience as a mom will trigger some insights.

Given that my daughter is suffering from depression right now and has a completely messed up sleep schedule, I have to confess to having gone through a variety of emotional stages. The situation is frustrating because there is nothing I can do about it, and as a mom I want to fix it. It took months before I could consistently let go and stop trying to "will" (or nag) the problems away.

But I still loved my daughter more than I could ever express. I just didn't know what to do, plus had my own issues to deal with, and sometimes that frustrated boiled into a negative tone.

The food situation can be impossible on both sides; my daughter has special diet needs that require a lot more meal preparation time, and then she doesn't eat. Many of those meals don't keep well so we can't save them for her to reheat. I'm totally at a loss on how to feed her right. I have responsibilities and work deadlines and can't sit around all day waiting for her to be ready to eat and then preparing something on the fly. I make sure there are easy to reheat items in the refrigerator even though I know the depression means she isn't able to gather the energy to do more than grab and go. We also keep fresh fruit and nutrition bars around.

I've found it best if I just emotionally detach from the situation and say as little as possible. There is little I can do. We are working with a psychiatrist but treatments are hit and miss and finding the right one is going to take time.

But if someone offered me a trade off where I could magically fix everything for her at some cost to myself I would do in a heartbeat.

Depression is an ugly illness. It is not easy to watch it steal away someone you love and know has a lot to offer.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 4:13 pm

This is a necro thread.

Edited to add: Sorry your daughter is having such a rough time.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
This is a necro thread.

Edited to add: Sorry your daughter is having such a rough time.

Ugh, I fell for it and I hate that!

Thank you for the kind thoughts.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 8:18 am

Easy solution, find a friend or a girl/boyfriend and then when you're more distant then she might get off your case :P Dunno what to say otherwise honestly, it sounds like the situation is quiet toxic.