Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:53 am

smithie wrote:
Thank you all very much for your replies :) The doctor is recommending fluoxetine for her, which may have a different name in the US, so not sure if it's been mentioned already.

That is the Prozac I had been taking (and Temple Grandin still does).

smithie wrote:
... doctor recommending the SSRI to try and help her cope better. She has always had bad meltdowns, but as her anxiety levels are increasing they are becoming more frequent, and trying to manage them doesn't seem to be very effective. I think in the UK we're not as quick to medicate children, perhaps due to the fact they get free prescriptions over here, so I'm feeling that perhaps this is being put forward as a necessary step for her.

Quote:
Human physiology is the science of the mechanical, physical, bioelectrical, and biochemical functions of humans in good health, their organs, and the cells of which they are composed ...
Most aspects of human physiology are closely homologous to corresponding aspects of animal physiology, and animal experimentation has provided much of the foundation of physiological knowledge. Anatomy and physiology are closely related fields of study: anatomy, the study of form, and physiology, the study of function, are intrinsically tied and are studied in tandem as part of a medical curriculum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_physiology

You already seem to be very astute in all of this, and yet I would suggest (since autism is not a problem of physiology needing medication to "balance the brain" or whatever) being sure you do not miss the complete absence of both neurology and psychology in the above. At best, medications can only suppress the effects of the autistic's neurologically-based difficulties.