Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:09 pm

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:14 pm

I think this is just ridiculous. There is no justification for the removal of the facebook page.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:18 pm

The facebook page should be allowed to be up. Also most if not all serial killers usually don't have access to the internet.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:23 pm

thewrll wrote:
The facebook page should be allowed to be up. Also most if not all serial killers usually don't have access to the internet.

You must mean convicted serial killers.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:31 pm

As long as any profits go to the victims and as long as the transcriber does not post anything that would encourage people to hurt someone, there's probably nothing illegal about it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 May 2011, 6:32 pm

I don't understand why she cares, it's just a facebook page some other person made. It's not like the guy has access to a computer and is personally updating a website. If it's not on Facebook, it'll be somewhere else. People can be fans of serial killers if they want and express if they please, it's called freedom of speech.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:36 pm

John_Browning wrote:
As long as any profits go to the victims and as long as the transcriber does not post anything that would encourage people to hurt someone, there's probably nothing illegal about it.
I am not sure the victims would like getting those profits.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 7:28 pm

The page appears to violate Facebook policies, since it's accessed and managed by a third party, and third parties are not supposed to have access. It's within Facebook's rights to take it down, and questionable if they don't.

Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 9:18 pm

In Aus we have judicial suppression orders for this sort of thing.

Was not spoken of the soul.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 9:26 pm

psychohist wrote:
The page appears to violate Facebook policies, since it's accessed and managed by a third party, and third parties are not supposed to have access. It's within Facebook's rights to take it down, and questionable if they don't.

Then that would be a matter of internal policy that they are not legally bound to enforce.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 10:03 pm

psychohist wrote:
Yep. It is within Facebook's jurisdiction which the state should stay the hell out of.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 10:12 pm

Facebook = social networking site, hence the implication that free speech is somehow being violated is...dubious in it's veracity.

Would I censor a serial killer? I'd have him dispatched with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 10:33 pm

The state of Texas was the one who requested the shut down of the pages.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 10:34 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Then that would be a matter of internal policy that they are not legally bound to enforce.

That's my standpoint on the matter as well.

Quote:
Facebook = social networking site, hence the implication that free speech is somehow being violated is...dubious in it's veracity.

I don't see the relevance. How is what I post on a social networking site really different than what I write in a letter, or in an e-mail, or any other means? I mean, Facebook has a right to prevent their medium from being used, but the government is outside of the matter.

Quote:
Would I censor a serial killer? I'd have him dispatched with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

The question is what you'd do with them while they are alive. While certain denials of speech are rational, all that is going on in this case, is that the serial killer is writing letters. I question a level of denial of speech where even sending letters is prohibited.(we can say that less letters should be sent, but... we really can't be humane and deny all contact, and given that laws are fallible, we have to be somewhat humane) I mean, we can talk about giving the man a quicker death, fine. We can say that facebook should prevent this page from existing as a matter of THEIR policy. I don't think that the government should throw weight around on an issue like this though.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:45 am

I'd see him stopped from doing things that are soundly illegal, like, say, serial killing. I'd see him allowed to do things that are perfectly legal, like, say, having a page on Facebook.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."