Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 8:44 pm

Many of you have probably already seen this, but for those who haven't, here's a link to one of the cleverest scientific things I've ever seen. How To Destroy the Earth

The Preamble:

Quote:
Destroying the Earth is harder than you may have been led to believe.

You've seen the action movies where the bad guy threatens to destroy the Earth. You've heard people on the news claiming that the next nuclear war or cutting down rainforests or persisting in releasing hideous quantities of pollution into the atmosphere threatens to end the world.

Fools.

The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy.

This is not a guide for wusses whose aim is merely to wipe out humanity. I (Sam Hughes) can in no way guarantee the complete extinction of the human race via any of these methods, real or imaginary. Humanity is wily and resourceful, and many of the methods outlined below will take many years to even become available, let alone implement, by which time mankind may well have spread to other planets; indeed, other star systems. If total human genocide is your ultimate goal, you are reading the wrong document. There are far more efficient ways of doing this, many which are available and feasible RIGHT NOW. Nor is this a guide for those wanting to annihilate everything from single-celled life upwards, render Earth uninhabitable or simply conquer it. These are trivial goals in comparison.

This is a guide for those who do not want the Earth to be there anymore.

Enjoy :)

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 9:08 pm

Quote:
#
Total existence failure

You will need: nothing

Method: No method. Simply sit back and twiddle your thumbs as, completely by chance, all two hundred thousand million million million million billion trillion atoms making up the planet Earth suddenly, simultaneously and spontaneously cease to exist. Note: the odds against this actually ever occuring are considerably greater than a googolplex (1010100) to one. Failing this, some kind of arcane (read: scientifically laughable) probability-manipulation device may be employed.

Current feasibility rating: 0/10. Even if you look at the significantly greater probability of the Earth randomly rearranging itself into separate two planets, this is utter, utter rubbish.

Source: Life, The Universe And Everything, by Douglas Adams.

priceless :lmao:

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 9:25 pm

lolz. 'Nuff said.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 12:27 am

some people have way to much time on there hand. What would we be without them 8)

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 3:01 am

Very interesting. :D

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 May 2011, 9:47 am

And now for a somewhat different take on the matter.......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw[/youtube]

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 10:19 am

richie wrote:
And now for a somewhat different take on the matter.......

Aaah, the Golden Age of Carlin. Thanks for the reminder.