Need help compiling a list of safe forms of exercise

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Baynes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2011, 8:03 am

So I've been very big into health and fitness for a few years now and have lost a lot of weight trying a bunch of different workout programs, and one thing I've discovered is that many forms of exercise out there are simply not viable for people who have the balance, coordination, and motor control problems many of us face. Attempting them could lead to serious injury.

So far, ones I've ruled out (mainly through personal experience) are:

Yoga (unless you modify many of the stances)
Resistance training using free weights
High intensity aerobics/dance/kickboxing type workouts
Sports drills
Plyometrics

Ones that are doable for the balance/coordination/motor challenged, based on my experience:

Resistance training using resistance band-based systems
Spinning
Lower speed/intensity aerobics/dance type workouts
Targeted resistance training machines commonly found at gyms

Next one I'm going to add to my list is suspension training systems. I'm buying the Rip 60 with my next paycheck and seeing how that goes.

This isn't meant to be a bible as everyone is different and your balance/motor problems may not be as severe as mine. This is just meant to be a friendly reference for those of us looking to get in good workouts safely while minimizing risk of injury. Please feel free to add to this list based on your experience.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:28 am

Swimming, maybe? My coordination is improved tenfold in water and I've been known to stay in a pool for hours.

NOT riding a bicycle. That has proved dangerous.

Superfly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2011, 2:27 pm

I wouldn't rule yoga out ... it's pretty easy to design a complete yoga program that require no balance (everything is done sitting or lying down).

There are numerous schools and traditions within the umbrella of yoga. Some of the follow a strict standardized set of asanas (poses). Others are very malleable and list taking the strengths and weaknesses of individual students into account among their fundamentals.

So yoga CAN definitely be a safe exercise form for anyone, no matter what issues they have ... in fact there are some yoga traditions that involve no movement or poses at all.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 3:38 pm

I agree with chaotik_lord about the swimming. I'm an absolute klutz, but when I get in the water, I'm somehow really (dare I say it?) graceful.

Jogging might be another one to try. The college I go to has some beautiful outdoor trails that I go jogging on sometimes.

Superfly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2011, 2:08 am

Jogging/running is my poison of choice, but it does require a degree of coordination.

Baynes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 May 2011, 9:15 pm

Jogging/running I can do as long as it's on level ground. If I'm going uphill or downhill then the risk of losing my footing and faceplanting becomes too great.