Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:46 pm

Moog wrote:
Are hipsters a different sub class of human than fashionable people? Did hipsterism and fashion just coincide for a while?

Well, there is fashion and there is fashion. Hipsterism promotes a DIY sort of street fashion that is accessible for the young impoverished artist. It is worlds away from haute couture runway fashion of the rich and famous, but it shares its artificial and ephemeral nature.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:38 pm

I've just been to a cafe, in the most hipster part of Edinburgh. I wasn't there specifically intending to see hipsters. But I decided to do a Hipster Count, taking a mental note of how many out of 100 people walking past the window looked like they were on the hipster spectrum. Of course, this can be no more than a purely subjective observation.

The Hipster Count out of 100, was 51.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:41 pm

Keeno wrote:
on the hipster spectrum.

:lol:

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 6:01 pm

People have classified me as a hipster before, I'm un-complacent to the issue. If you're original, and yourself .. then why should it be bad? I'd prefer to blend in, while being myself but also not draw attention. I think the stereotypical view of what is "hipster" though is skewed

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 5:27 am

Descartes wrote:
This post I'm about to make might be considered ironic to some, considering my avatar, but...

...if non-conformity is a hipster ideal, then why is it that they all pretty much dress and act the same? I have nothing against hipsters - I actually really like their clothing - but I see non-conformity as an individual ambition. Hipsters are basically a subgroup of people who look, act, and think roughly the same (just like any other subgroup), and that is not non-conformity.

Did you get your avatar from the Adult Swim website? That's where I first saw that image. I've played Hipster Kickball on there, and it's very funny.

Anyway, I have nothing against hipsters. I don't actively seek them out, but quite a few people that have similar interests as me probably fit into that category. I am not one myself, since I don't dress like an impoverished artist or live in a loft apartment, or drink Stella Artois.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!