Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 9:49 am

I have to laugh at the idea of "trying to be a non-conformist" - wouldn't a deliberate effort automatically make you a conformist?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 11:29 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
I have to laugh at the idea of "trying to be a non-conformist" - wouldn't a deliberate effort automatically make you a conformist?

Yes. :lol:

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:17 pm

They conform to non-conformism. I call people like that "anti-conformists". They're also annoying and have horrible fashion sense, and generally practice the opposite of what the claim to believe, usually in the name of irony.

Death to them all!

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:33 am

Henbane wrote:
I haven't heard of hipsters, I thought they might be oversized knickers at first...

But I agree with Descartes. Aspies don't conform or try to be members of a group.

I agree with both statements Henbane, hipsters to me just mean some kind of knickers or briefs and Aspies certainly don't 'try' to be members of a group - we are just who we are.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:51 am

Have you seen these new trousers that are like a cross between combat pants and skinny jeans, with tight legs and voluminous bottoms? They look freaking ridiculous!

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:12 am

Picture?

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

26 May 2011, 7:13 pm

Psh. This thread is too mainstream.

I guess I'm being a hypocrite by posting here. XD

event-counter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2011, 8:23 pm

Too many hipsters, must conform to be truly counter-culture.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 8:49 pm

Henbane wrote:
I haven't heard of hipsters, I thought they might be oversized knickers at first...

:lol:

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 4:06 am

It seems every second person you see in Edinburgh is a hipster. Every second person is an exaggeration, but you will see a high proportion of people at least in central parts of the city being hipsters, because there is that much of a studenty influence. Nothing Aspie-like about it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 4:14 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Picture?

I've tried to make google spit something relevant out, but I don't have a vocabulary for this thing that works.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 7:33 am

Moog wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Picture?

I've tried to make google spit something relevant out, but I don't have a vocabulary for this thing that works.

The Hipster Bingo card hits most of the stereotypical highlights: http://www.hipstertravelguide.com/wp-co ... -bingo.jpg

The Chicago neighborhood of Wicker Park is composed entirely of hipsters, but you can see them anywhere in the city. I agree with the observation that many hipster tropes are revalorizations of traditionally "nerdy" ones, but I don't hate them for it. An Aspie who was in art school or something similarly bohemian could blend in with that subculture easily, especially because the fashion requirements (hoodies, glasses, super-soft vintage tee shirts) suits their sensory needs, and being into interests that aren't mainstream is de rigeur.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 11:48 am

I'm just posting here ironically.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:10 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Moog wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Picture?

The Hipster Bingo card hits most of the stereotypical highlights: http://www.hipstertravelguide.com/wp-co ... -bingo.jpg

The Chicago neighborhood of Wicker Park is composed entirely of hipsters, but you can see them anywhere in the city. I agree with the observation that many hipster tropes are revalorizations of traditionally "nerdy" ones, but I don't hate them for it. An Aspie who was in art school or something similarly bohemian could blend in with that subculture easily, especially because the fashion requirements (hoodies, glasses, super-soft vintage tee shirts) suits their sensory needs, and being into interests that aren't mainstream is de rigeur.

Are hipsters a different sub class of human than fashionable people? Did hipsterism and fashion just coincide for a while?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:46 pm

Moog wrote:
Are hipsters a different sub class of human than fashionable people? Did hipsterism and fashion just coincide for a while?

Well, there is fashion and there is fashion. Hipsterism promotes a DIY sort of street fashion that is accessible for the young impoverished artist. It is worlds away from haute couture runway fashion of the rich and famous, but it shares its artificial and ephemeral nature.