Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 11:42 am

Why do we divide ourselves by beliefs? And why is it so important to try forcing others into your way of thinking? Isn't being intrusive to the point of dictatorship (religion wise)? Where is it written that all must follow one path? Who says one religion absolutely the right one for all people? Isn't that an individual choice? Why can't we as a whole just accept one another for who we are and not sit in judgement due to differences. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we (the human race) didn't see/look for the differences in others?

(I'm in a down mode right now so please bear with me.)

Kye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2006, 11:57 am

whiteskunk wrote:
Geeze! Does everyone in the world have to be Christian? Lighten up. Better yet get therapy.

You've changed your tune, then?

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 12:10 pm

No I haven't changed my tune. I just grow wary of all the fighting in the name of religion. I am a pagan 100%. It just bugs me that Christians almost demand you join or else. The point I want to make is-live and let live. And the fanatical Muslems are no better. It's coming to the point where both the afore mentioned groups will have it out and maybe annihilate one another.

Kye

15 Aug 2006, 12:58 pm

whiteskunk wrote:
No I haven't changed my tune. I just grow wary of all the fighting in the name of religion. I am a pagan 100%. It just bugs me that Christians almost demand you join or else. The point I want to make is-live and let live. And the fanatical Muslems are no better. It's coming to the point where both the afore mentioned groups will have it out and maybe annihilate one another.

Some Christians, some Muslims yes, not all, but a minority hardly representative of your sweeping generalisations once again completely contradicting what you've said.

I suppose none of the Roman Pagans demanded Christians to join them "or else".

That said I appreciate your sentiment, but I hardly see how it's achievable if you can't respect others beliefs.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 1:46 pm

Eh, we all see the world differently, and most people just aren't mature enough to give anyone else's beliefs a chance. (Not saying I am or anything, though--I'm honestly not as open-minded as I'd like to be but don't really know how to be.)

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2006, 6:19 pm

People need to feel important

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 12:38 pm

I divide people into" others" group because their beliefs dictate their actions and their actions effect my life.I see some groups of people as the "enemy" because they make public policy that effects my freedoms and life style choices.I want to change their belief systems because I want to change their actions....I am speaking more in term of economics and politics then religion but their are religious people who are involved in politics so it is impossible to exclude this group.

It is nieve to think I can just except all other belief systems as non threatening to me because there are so many belief systems that effect my daily life in negative ways. I have a servival instinct that demands I fight against these systems of belief(which lead to actions).

Should I just except a belief system that believes it is exceptable to destroy the air, water I use and the natural habitates of the animals I love because materialism or the economy is more important?Should I axcept the belief systems of groups who believe it is exceptable for men or a particular race of people to exploit "others" because they believe it is written in their religious texts?Should I just look the other way when I see a government (USA) which I think is trying to return to a system that favors the greed of the "ruling classes" over true democracy?Should I just except the NT beliefs and actions of discrimination towards aspies because they have no desire to understand or or except that our "different reality" is as real for us as theirs is for them.

I do not want to except all the "beliefs" of "others" because their beliefs lead to actions and those actions influence my life and the lives of people I care about.It is the natural inclination for survival!

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 1:31 am

You just made a good point. Uber liberals are just as messed up as uber conservatives, for the reason you just pointed out. If confronting an evil doer ideology or culture means being "politically incorrect" or might offend someone, they puss out every time, and would rather let a problem persist than to take action. They are cowards.
Now I'm not condoning stereotypes as I have no problem with christians who can respect the views and beliefs of others, but when there is a strong belief structure based upon the will to oppress (the current popular interpretation of chrisianity marketed by republicans) I think it is mandatory that we get off our @$$es and take action. What would have happened if we americans refused to fight the brittish because we were afraid we might offend some old english people? What would have happened for the blacks if they refused to fight in the civil war because of fear of offending white people?
Tragickally, the liberals are just as brainwashed as the conservatives, they are just brainwashed differently. Take the border control problem for example. Libs act like if you don't support illegal immigration your "racist" against latino's, even though it has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It's because liberal white society is afraid of being called racist and they know in the back of their minds alot of illegal aliens are gonna pull the race card (unjustly).
And Christian conservatives are hell bent on pulling us into a theocratic police state... The republicans are greedy elitist heartless monsters.... They've bred jesus nazi's all over america... Not having 10 commandments monuments on the supreme court or not making "under god" mandatory in the pledge of allegiance is not anti-christian. It's respecting the beliefs of all cultures by being impartial. I mean, the gay rights thing is another big issue where christian conservatives are forcing their point of view on people unconstitutionally.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 8:40 am

Our country is great united!

Or, I don't think it's fair that we divide ourselves by beliefs.

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2006, 8:48 am

0=2

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 12:01 pm

snake321 wrote:
You just made a good point. Uber liberals are just as messed up as uber conservatives, for the reason you just pointed out. If confronting an evil doer ideology or culture means being "politically incorrect" or might offend someone, they puss out every time, and would rather let a problem persist than to take action. They are cowards.
Now I'm not condoning stereotypes as I have no problem with christians who can respect the views and beliefs of others, but when there is a strong belief structure based upon the will to oppress (the current popular interpretation of chrisianity marketed by republicans) I think it is mandatory that we get off our @$$es and take action. What would have happened if we americans refused to fight the brittish because we were afraid we might offend some old english people? What would have happened for the blacks if they refused to fight in the civil war because of fear of offending white people?
Tragickally, the liberals are just as brainwashed as the conservatives, they are just brainwashed differently. Take the border control problem for example. Libs act like if you don't support illegal immigration your "racist" against latino's, even though it has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It's because liberal white society is afraid of being called racist and they know in the back of their minds alot of illegal aliens are gonna pull the race card (unjustly).
And Christian conservatives are hell bent on pulling us into a theocratic police state... The republicans are greedy elitist heartless monsters.... They've bred jesus nazi's all over america... Not having 10 commandments monuments on the supreme court or not making "under god" mandatory in the pledge of allegiance is not anti-christian. It's respecting the beliefs of all cultures by being impartial. I mean, the gay rights thing is another big issue where christian conservatives are forcing their point of view on people unconstitutionally.

I hate liberals, they are the greatest cowards and hypocrites of all. Nazis and communists are evil, but they hell aren't hypocrites.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 1:08 pm

because despite what they want you to think (that we are all equal) someone wants to feel superior to you. thats why people divide

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 4:00 pm

Snake123....as you can see by the depth of logical rebutals to your post 8O :!: ...there are alot of people who find thinking painful and uncomfortable..."Give me convenience or give me death"....The revolution maybe televised but everyone will be watching "Desperate Housewives"...How can we motivate people do "fight the system"when we cant even get Americans(flag waving ,Americas number one,stock car watching Americans)to get off their asses to even vote...Even the Iraq people who thought the elections were "fixed" and far from a represintitive of a full Democracy,risked their own lives to vote.Even I,who believe this countries choices of canadates(don't represent me)represent more of a Plutocracy then a true democracy....I still vote,granted,not for who I want but for the "lesser of evils"...Now,if someone as cynical,social phobic and driving phobic, can get my ass to the poles to vote....what excuss do the flag waving folks have for not voting?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2006, 6:05 pm

If everybody do their thing then they all get what they deserve: nature's result of each single individual's action. If some want to cooperate they should be free to do so, if some don't they should be free to not do so. As long as no one stops another from doing their will things work smoothly. If people e.g. want to be part of the Mammon scheme of capitalism, which gives the structured ability to trade globally, they should be able to do so freely, and if some people don't want to play in that sandbox but e.g. in the anarchy sandbox they should be able to do so freely. Isn't that simple and neat enough for everybody?

No! There are some people who put themselves above others in right and wrong, because the demon of Mammon has them! They are fooled into thinking that they actually own the world itself, having laid claim to things they originally snatched from everybody else who may have wanted it and who in fact had the same right to it, only they didn't want it at the moment the specific persons snatched them for their very own. That was when greed entered and wars started. The demon of Mammon already had them all in her grasp and secretly whispered to them that they needed to evolve materially (but said nothing about spiritually/philosophically), so they had to find some other way than to simply go back to when things worked out fine. That was when totalitarians entered the scene. They tried in two major ways to lay claim to what was the right idea and fought it out against each other. When the fogs of war faded and millions lay scattered in heaps of dirt, they decided finally, having found the right result by means of Darwinism (the winner must've been best prepared, so they must have had the rightestest idea), that one side was correct and the other was wrong. The only thing that resulted in was that the loosing side mounted up against the winning (because the forces were about the same inherently) so the winning side had to counter, and that was how terror balance entered the scene.
Not until the two sides had become so afraid of each other - because reports came in about the power of the other side's war machinery all the time, but at the same time, they knew practically nothing about each other - that they finally blew each other up, and only a tiny piece of humanity was left to wave a white flag, did they all realize that the best way to make things work was to live and let live, because in accepting the coexistence of the opposite side, the own side could easily help it find and point out its flaws because of its differences, and the opposite could do the same, so that both sides of the equation could meet in unity and exceed in understanding, which they realized was better than knowing, because knowing implied that claims of the unknown was best conducted by the own side and not the opposite and understanding didn't imply anything at all, other than acceptance, which they soon realized was the main factor of peace and prosperity. And so they lived happily ever after.
The end.