Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 2:54 am

This is a place to share quotes. They can be famous or from friends and family (or from this forum). They can be recorded or in written form. Funny or wise.

Just... quotes that you like (please not quotes that bash members of a particular group, though).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRmxfLuNto[/youtube]

Edit: I'd really like to use this on a few people, actually.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2011, 3:42 am

That seems really familiar but I can't place where I've seen it before. Uhhh, well I have a lot of funny quotes but I can't really think of any right now.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 3:55 am

BriannaBee wrote:
That seems really familiar but I can't place where I've seen it before.
Lace-Bane thinks it was a quote from the movie Billy Madison.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 3:21 pm

The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone... mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret: All the best people are."
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Willy Wonka: "Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible! But that is called 'cannibalism', my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies."
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 9:47 pm

The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.
Sarah Ban Breathnach

Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.
Marie Curie

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

Human Dignity has gleamed only now and then and here and there, in lonely splendor, throughout the ages, a hope of the better men, never an achievement of the majority.
- James Thurber

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Will Turner, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I love quotes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:23 pm

"A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective." -- Edward Teller

"Always expect the most likely outcome, as it maximizes the chance of being right." -- Anonymous T-Shirt

"All gods are homemade, and it is we who pulls their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours" -- Aldous Huxley.

"Belief is no substitute for arithmetic." -- Henry Spencer

"Creationism is not a scientific alternative to natural selection any more than the stork theory is an alternative to sexual reproduction." -- Hayes, 1996.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure 'Science'." -- Edwin Powell Hubble, The Nature of Science, 1954

"I think science has enjoyed an extraordinary success because it has such a limited and narrow realm in which to focus its efforts. Namely, the physical universe." -- Ken Jenkins

"If scientists can learn anything from religion, it is to turn away from the worship of idols, to ignore the teachings of doomsday prophets, and to laugh at arbitrary dogma." -- Fnord, the Metasyntactic Variable

"Intelligence, like artistic talent, is least appreciated by those who possess neither." -- the Pehlke Principle

"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity." -- Prof. Barnhardt, in The Day The Earth Stood Still

"Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue." -- Robert K. Merton, Social Theory, 1957

"Religion was invented when the first starving scoundrel met up with the first well-fed fool." -- Fnord, the Metasyntactic Variable

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." -- Seen on a T-shirt after September 11, 2001.

"Science is built up of facts, as a house is built of stones; but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." -- Henri Poincaré, Science and Hypothesis, 1905

"Science is merely an extremely powerful method of winnowing what's true from what feels good." -- Carl Sagan.

"Science is the process of crash testing ideas: you ram the idea head-on into a brick wall at 60mph, and knowledge is gained by examining the pieces. If the theory is solid, the pieces are from the wall. Then we build a bigger wall." -- Joe Huntsman

"Science is the record of dead religions." -- The Oscariana of Oscar Fingall O'Flaherty Will Wilde [1856-1900] for George Bernard Shaw

"The best substitute for critical thinking is a silent voice." -- Mark Barner

"The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion." -- Arnold H. Glasow

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard Feynman.

"The most remarkable discovery made by scientists is Science itself." -- Gerard Piel

"The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various sources

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." -- Carl Sagan

"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." -- Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC), Law

"Those who rely on the scientific method make only two assumptions: (1) the Universe rigidly obeys a fixed set of rules; and (2) those rules can be deduced by observing the way Universe behaves." -- Attributed to various sources

"What is notable about 'creationists', 'homeopaths', 'psychics', and 'religionists' is that they never seem to accomplish anything of note in science. Hardly any of them have publications in major scientific peer-reviewed journals. None have won any of the major scientific awards. While scientists who use every available research tool are making discoveries not merely in physics, but in fields as far afield as biochemistry, genetics, pharmacology, and molecular biology, those other 'pseudo-scientists' don't seem to do anything but pseudo-science. The ultimate test of a theory is how useful it is in providing a basis for discovery. Many scientists don't even care about physical theories per se, any more than they care about mathematical theories. They use physical theories for the same reason that they use mathematics — because their experience has shown them that physical theories are an indispensable tool in every area of study." -- Fnord, the Metasyntactic Variable

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:27 pm

"We're the toppermost of the poppermost!" John Lennon - 1964

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:09 pm

I asked at the outset that there be no bashing of members of a particular group in this thread. Please keep that stuff in PPR.

I could never be a physicist. I know too much about the politics of physics.

Bertrand Russell:

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.

Johann von Neumann:

In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to interpret, they mainly make models. By a model is meant a mathematical construct which, with the addition of certain verbal interpretations, describes observed phenomena. The justification of such a mathematical construct is solely and precisely that it is expected to work.

Sir Arthur Eddington:

The mathematics is not there till we put it there.

We used to think that if we knew one, we knew two, because one and one are two. We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about 'and'.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 12:42 am

Before you were my teacher, I used to pull the wings off flies.
Now, I let them go free.

- George E. (former student, Grade 8 )

I am not a doctor, but I play one in my head.

- Hyperlexian

Last edited by hyperlexian on 29 May 2011, 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:34 am

You can coat a turd in a layer of candy, but in the end it's still a piece of s**t. - Me

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2011, 2:20 am

"I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else."
~MTV's Daria

"If we're going to be damned; let's be damned for what we really are."
~caption John Luke Picard

Aha! So they do make bigger diapers! That deceitful woman told me I'd have to learn to use the toilet! Well, fie on the toilet! It's made slaves of you all! I've seen it sitting in there, lazy, slothful, porcelain layabout feeding on other people's doo-doos while contributing nothing of its own to society! You get a job!
~Stewie Griffin

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 12:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMAKtXlXf4[/youtube]

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 12:47 pm

All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours.
Aldous Huxley

...and now for some less intelligent; TV quotes...

Simpsons;
Homer: Okay, why do you think your mother and I sleep in the same bed?
Bart: Because we're poor?
Homer: Exactly, and we're poor because we have kids. And the biological method by which children are created by a man and a woman is...

Black Books;
Fran: Do you know nothing about modern culture, Bernard? Beckham, Posh, Pokemon...
Bernard: Pacman. It's pronounced Pacman.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:36 pm

"I make beautiful, melodic music on my non-sequigeetar."
"Therein lies the rub! Catch it, before it rubs again!"
"I am the sore bedlam fury of angelic bastard!"

All by Pope Morris.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:43 pm

I have too many favourite quotes I use them a lot to teach

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. --Buddha
When the student is ready, the master appears. -- Buddhist Proverb
We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.
--Virginia Satir
A goal without a date is just a dream. --Milton H. Erickson
To score the right goal you need to aim for the right net without scoring an own goal -- sign on Gerard Houllier's office desk while at Liverpool FC

I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.
-- Fritz Perls

The map is not the territory. --Alfred Korzybski
The best thing about the past is that it's over. The best thing about the future is that it's yet to come. The best thing about the present is that it's here now. --Richard Bandler

Just for today, be free from anger.
Just for today, be free from worry.
Just for today, act and behave with honestly.
Just for today, share your gratitude.
Just for today, be kind to every living thing.
-- My version of the teachings of Emperor Meji and Mikao Usui.

Never underestimate the magic of the subconscious mind and your imagination as thats your powerhouse of creation. ... This universe always works with energy, emotions are only energy in motion, there are only two emotions love and fear, its just a matter of choice of which side of the emotion Force you what to be in NOW!! ... The way of Reiki is a lot like the way of the Jedi! -- Me :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:26 pm

"Never underestimate the power of stupidity." -- Attributed to Various Sources

The Laws of Stupidity (by Carlo M. Cipolla):

1. "Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

2. "The probability that a certain person is stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person."

3. "A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses."

4. "Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake."

5. "A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person."

And finally...

"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.