Would loud music help sensitive hearing?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:33 pm

Ellytoad wrote:
I've had sensitive ears all my life, and I've been wondering whether listening to my music at high volume would take the edge off.

I actually tried this years ago. Makes me cringe now to think about what I did. I've always had sensitive hearing & could hear stuff that no one else noticed, nor did those sounds bug other people around me. I got the bright idea (stupid really) of putting headphones on & cranking up the volume to purposefully ruin my hearing. I guess I didn't do it loud or long enough to cause permanent damage because my hearing is currently above average for my age group (late 40s). I still have sensitive hearing, I am still bothered by sound. But to purposefully try to damage hearing is a terrible idea. I don't recommend it. I do have troubles with sound processing on top of my hearing issues. Too much sound means I cannot pick out important sounds, such as my hubby when he's speaking to me. He has the same issue luckily...I'm sure we seem like a hard of hearing couple. LOL

So long story short....don't do this to yourself! It's a terrible idea. Get some earplugs to block out unwanted sound instead.

Good luck!

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 3:12 pm

music does help with my acute hearing; although i despise the high volume that is often used.
i do however almost always have some sort of music on on a med-low volume (to me at least; this usually results in a 10% of max setting with another setting cutting output by half :S), which helps by overtuning all the little sounds that bother me (cracking floors, buzzing fluorecent lighting; that kinda stuff)

as the above poster said; as long as you dont turn up the volume to ear-damage level, you got nothing to lose, so go for it and try; though be careful in traffic ;)

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 3:56 pm

Yes, if you are like me with my ears... I love having my music up loud. It actually makes my brain feel less cluttered also. But I also have sensitive ears and I never really know what sorts of sounds will trigger this sensitivity. That's why I usually prefer to have music with me to limit most of those triggering sounds. I can usually go about my day without music but other times I feel the need to have my ipod nano with me before my mind explodes from sensory and emotional overload.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:17 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
Ellytoad wrote:
I've had sensitive ears all my life, and I've been wondering whether listening to my music at high volume would take the edge off.

I actually tried this years ago. Makes me cringe now to think about what I did. I've always had sensitive hearing & could hear stuff that no one else noticed, nor did those sounds bug other people around me. I got the bright idea (stupid really) of putting headphones on & cranking up the volume to purposefully ruin my hearing. I guess I didn't do it loud or long enough to cause permanent damage because my hearing is currently above average for my age group (late 40s). I still have sensitive hearing, I am still bothered by sound. But to purposefully try to damage hearing is a terrible idea. I don't recommend it. I do have troubles with sound processing on top of my hearing issues. Too much sound means I cannot pick out important sounds, such as my hubby when he's speaking to me. He has the same issue luckily...I'm sure we seem like a hard of hearing couple. LOL

So long story short....don't do this to yourself! It's a terrible idea. Get some earplugs to block out unwanted sound instead.

Good luck!

Tomboy

Everyone has different preferences. It depends on their ears and how sensitive they are, like said. I myself, hate ear plugs because my ears are that sensitive and noise block headphones are a bit of an issue because they irritate the outside of my ears. So for me, earplugs or noise block headphones don't work. I have special headphones that stick nicely in my ears without making them feel funny or start to hurt. That's why music is the only thing that can block out all stimuli that involves my ears. If I have in ear plugs, I still hear unwanted things ebcause my ears are that sensitive, same with noise block headphones as well.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 11:43 pm

I have been listening to loud music to drown out other sounds for the longest time.
It kept me focused because it was a focused sound rather than all the light sounds that happen randomly.