Special retail/customer service needs and requirements

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DaniFuentes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2011, 5:03 am

Hello!
I have a small assignment to hand in on Wednesday about treatment of people with all/any kinds of disabilities.

Although I've been diagnosed with ADHD I can't quite answer these questions as I'm meant to be asking others and I was wondering if (any of) you could answer 3 questions for me? It'd mean a lot and would help me with understanding and how to go about it whether It is myself serving the person or if it were to happen to me or a friend or anyone for that matter?

As a parent/child/friend who is or has to deal with someone who has a disability...

*What do you find most difficult about the retail industry and how it caters for your/your child's or parent's special needs and requirements?

*Can you describe an experience where someone went out of their way to cater to your/your child's or parent's needs?

*What advice would you give me, going into the retail/customer service environment to cater for those who have special needs or requirements?

Thanks so much for your time!
xx

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2011, 6:23 am

I've worked in retail for about 6 years and can say that we usually treat those with disabilities no different than anyone else. If anything, a cashier or courtesy clerk would be slightly more likely to ask if they needed a hand with getting their groceries to their car.

The main reason for this is that many disabled people do not want seemingly-fake sympathy. They would rather downplay their disabilities and be treated as normally as possible. This goes for any sort of disability. If a customer with a mental illness came up to my register and tried to buy something, I would try to process the transaction as normally as possible. I believe that customer would appreciate that.