Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:45 pm

Whenever the top two thirds of the page gets too full of - not to put too fine a point on it - threads in which I will not unless provoked participate, I get antsy. Want to redress the balance.

So here is a link : http://bookofconcord.org/smallcatechism.php that will take you to Martin Luther's Catechism light. I think we should be up to speed on what we support or oppose, right, chaps? Lest we oppose something that is actually no problem for us, or support something abominable.

So, to mine for data, to comment, to test your knowledge of the German Reformation, here you are. Enjoy.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:49 pm

There is lots of meat here of course, but I was struck by ... for starters look at the entry on:

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

What does this mean?--Answer.

We should fear and love God that we may not deceitfully belie, betray, slander, or defame our neighbor, but defend him, [think and] speak well of him, and put the best construction on everything.

NOT SLANDER? PUT THE BEST CONSTRUCTION ON EVERYTHING?

Oh, ye denizens of PPR, WHO THEN can be saved?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 2:35 pm

Philologos wrote:
There is lots of meat here of course, but I was struck by ... for starters look at the entry on:

It means not to perjure one's self in testimony regarding one' neighbor.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 2:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Philologos wrote:

It means not to perjure one's self in testimony regarding one' neighbor.

ruveyn

Yes, you or I WOULD say that, being inclined toward a rational non-invasive practice in translation and interpretation, the kind of attitude puts lawyers and theologians out of business, If it says it plainly enough, don't fix it.

I find it though very interesting that Luther chooses an expanded interpretation of this form. I woulsd not have expected it of him. It may be good Lutheranism to "speak well of him, and put the best construction on everything" - but for sure it was NOT Luther's practice if you let him near pen and ink!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 3:03 pm

I had thought of passing along through some of the main churches as a series. But to what end?

I can recommend you this: http://www.creeds.net/ . Not all links work but it is a treasure trove of what many have and do ACTUALLY believe, presented as first hand testimony.