Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
Their family and friends remember. You can recover from rape. Not from murder.

No offense, but you make it sound like rape recovery is simple. It is not.

Of course it's not simple/easy, it's a long road, but unlike murder, it is possible. Do you think we should euthanize rape victims the same way we turn off life support for the elderly who are suffering?

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Of course it's not simple/easy, it's a long road, but unlike murder, it is possible. Do you think we should euthanize rape victims the same way we turn off life support for the elderly who are suffering?

No. I was on the inside of a mental hospital and saw the damage rape takes on its victims. I suggest you take that last sentence back since you somehow got the wrong message from my previous two posts That is one of the few things I will never consider putting in my sig.

It is completely disgusting that you think euthanasia of these people would make it equivalent to murder. I resent that you even thought of that about me.

Last edited by HerrGrimm on 03 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

No. I was on the inside of a mental hospital and saw the damage rape takes on its victims. I suggest you take that last sentence back since you somehow got the wrong message from my previous two posts That is one of the few things I will never consider putting in my sig.

ah okay. i understand.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
ah okay. i understand.

You obviously did not when you made the previous statement. I do not understand how you can look anyone in the face and tell them that if they believed rape was worse than murder, then their logic would have the rape victims euthanized. That would include some people who already posted here and people who were raped themselves. You do understand how offensive that is? You can disagree and say murder is worse (they are both up there), but I hope you have a better explanation for them. I am pretty sure some of those people who were raped wished they were murdered instead, at least from what I saw and heard. It makes your "life not worth living anymore" comment even more chilling.

And this is the only message that I will be hard on you for. Not after this.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
ah okay. i understand.

You obviously did not when you made the previous statement. I do not understand how you can look anyone in the face and tell them that if they believed rape was worse than murder, then their logic would have the rape victims euthanized. That would include some people who already posted here and people who were raped themselves. You do understand how offensive that is? You can disagree and say murder is worse (they are both up there), but I hope you have a better explanation for them. I am pretty sure some of those people who were raped wished they were murdered instead, at least from what I saw and heard. It makes your "life not worth living anymore" comment even more chilling.

And this is the only message that I will be hard on you for. Not after this.

What I meant is if rape is worse than murder, then rape victims are by definition, better off dead. I don't believe that at all, but if you believe rape is a fate worse than death, that logically follows.

Plus um, I'm sure there's many people who would rather die themselves than have their grandparents die (or at least would say that). But in reality, most rape victims are probably grateful to be alive deep down. not all of them maybe but probably the vast majority of them.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:13 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
What I meant is if rape is worse than murder, then rape victims are by definition, better off dead. I don't believe that at all, but if you believe rape is a fate worse than death, that logically follows.

I said I would stop being hard on you after my last message, but I just have one more thing to say:

Almost my entire life I have believed rape was worse than murder. I read about it and I have seen it. From all the emotions I have felt, I never thought about euthanasia. Not once. Being a person with Asperger's, I live very practically and logically, and if what you say is true I would have thought it. But I did not.

Just think about it. I am not coming to this thread anymore to respond to you.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2011, 7:13 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
But in reality, most rape victims are probably grateful to be alive deep down. not all of them maybe but probably the vast majority of them.

Most rape survivors eventually reach that point, but only after a lot of work, and a lot of pain, and, for many, a lot of feeling quite the opposite. Unless you have known, spoken with, worked with, loved, or otherwise had reason to know something about many rape victim-survivors, perhaps you ought not try to speak for them.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:20 pm

murder is worse than rape.
but I think that rapist are worse people than murderers.
committing a murder can be the result of just one bad day.
Rapists are pathological and hateful.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:27 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

Hmmmm, I think to murder somebody, you have to be pretty pathological as well (or in extreme circumstances, such as survival). Both murderers and rapists are usually very mentally ill.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

I said I would stop being hard on you after my last message, but I just have one more thing to say:

Almost my entire life I have believed rape was worse than murder. I read about it and I have seen it. From all the emotions I have felt, I never thought about euthanasia. Not once. Being a person with Asperger's, I live very practically and logically, and if what you say is true I would have thought it. But I did not.

Just think about it. I am not coming to this thread anymore to respond to you.

I am sorry. I wasn't trying to belittle the horror of rape, I'm just trying to put a logical perspective on where it is vs. murder. Rape is definitely second to murder (along with abuse and severe physical assault) but I don't really think it makes sense to say it's worse/as bad as murder. I do think it's roughly the same magnitude, but I look at it in the sense that as horrible as rape is, I truly believe people can recover from it. Is that really that offensive? I think it's more supportive to victims than the belief that they have suffered something worse than death and that they can never ever get over it.

But I'm sorry I insulted you, I do respect your beliefs. It's good that you have compassion for other people and your posts really do show that.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:34 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Hmmmm, I think to murder somebody, you have to be pretty pathological as well (or in extreme circumstances, such as survival). Both murderers and rapists are usually very mentally ill.

You have different degrees of murder in the US legal system and in the UK the law recognises that you can do it accidentally/semi-accidentally (manslaughter).

Rape is calculated. It's not about sexual pleasure; it's about power.

EDIT: that said, I still can't say which crime is worse, or which criminals are worse....every case is different.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 03 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Would they?
There are a lot more Paraphilic rapists then Serial Killers. Serial Killers largely could be seen as a subset of Paraphilic rapists.
but one time or situational murderers having a bad day, wrong time, crime gone wrong, being a cop, having orders in the military or mafia etc. They draft people to take lives. this is based on the assumption that with a little training anyone can kill.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
but one time or situational murderers having a bad day, wrong time, crime gone wrong, being a cop, having orders in the military or mafia etc. They draft people to take lives. this is based on the assumption that with a little training anyone can kill.

haha that's pretty disturbing

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
You have different degrees of murder in the US legal system and in the UK the law recognises that you can do it accidentally/semi-accidentally (manslaughter).

Rape is calculated. It's not about sexual pleasure; it's about power.

EDIT: that said, I still can't say which crime is worse, or which criminals are worse....every case is different.

I think which criminals are worse depends on the motives, why they are the way they are, etc. I mean people aren't defined by one action, i'm sure there are murderers who are probably 'better' people than some robbers. For example someone who murdered the guy who molested his daughter, still a murderer yes, but most people would say he's a better man than a serial carjacker.

I define murder as being intentional, whether it's cold or hot blooded actually doesn't make much of a difference to me.

As for rape being about power and not sex - that's a common thing people say, I'm not really sure how true it is. I think it's likely more about frustration than anything else, it's probably about both. I mean rape fantasies are actually pretty common and generally aren't harmful as long as they're not too realistic, but real rape is a totally different thing, most people who have fantasies would never act them out, I think people who rape are lacking in compassion as well as in self-control.

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
The reason why rape can't be as bad as murder is because if that were true, logic would follow we should euthanize rape victims, because their life was not worth living anymore.

^ The most effed up logic I have ever heard. As a rape survivor, I am astounded that you reach that logic. Though there were times I felt hopeless and contemplated checking out, that was many years ago, and I think it's extremely dangerous to put that idea out there for a victim. They already think they're ruined - don't encourage them!

I understand that for some, the permanence of murder (death) makes it more significant. I can see that point of view, though I cannot agree with it. I've read all of this thread, and whether you meant to or not, it seemed to me like you are indeed making light of something that causes the victim/survivor years, if not a lifetime, of various issues to overcome. PTSD, substance abuse, pregancy, STD's, self-harm, eating or sleep disorders, flashbacks (physical and mental), depression, and worse. Frankly, a dead person is just dead. The momentary act could have possibly been worse, but there is no lifetime of healing and dealing with it like there is with rape.

donnie_darko wrote:

As for this, I don't think that evil necessarily equates mental illness. I'm more inclined to agree that rapists usually qualify as mentally ill in one way or another (or perhaps that's just what I like to think), but as someone else mentioned, there are too many situations for murder to make that blanket statement even remotely accurate. Some people are just evil.

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2011, 8:17 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
As for rape being about power and not sex - that's a common thing people say, I'm not really sure how true it is. I think it's likely more about frustration than anything else, it's probably about both.

Seriously????

FYI, yes, it's about control and power. It's not some poor sexually frustrated guy who just can't control himself anymore and has to have it. Jesus.