Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

Anybody into this game? Or other games like this?
I love turn based games, and my husband and I are completely addicted to Civilization 4 right now. I still enjoy playing the old turn based Might and Magic PC games sometimes too.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 12:33 am

I like Civilization 3 the most. 4th just seems too animated , and not authentic .. I'd prefer a real turn-based game, not a animated one.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

I still play the original on multiplayer (using CivNet) with my brothers from time to time, but we never really got into the newer games.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 6:36 pm

I played the original when it first came out, but I haven't tried it lately. I haven't tried 2 or 3 yet, but if they are good I am going to check them out for sure. I also prefer less animation and more game.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

Yeah I'm into Civilization 4 more then 5. 5 was disappointing. I actually enjoy the mods for Civ 4 like Fall from Heaven 2 as it brings a fantasy appeal to the game.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 1:49 am

Only one I played was 2.
It was insanely fun

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:19 am

I think 2 was best. 3 ate a lot of my time, but it just wasn't quite as good.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

Alpha C. is the best, but I've played it to exhaustion. Not particularly fussed about Civ 5, it's alright, but it's not great.

The year is still young.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

mb1984 wrote:
Anybody into this game? Or other games like this?
I love turn based games, and my husband and I are completely addicted to Civilization 4 right now. I still enjoy playing the old turn based Might and Magic PC games sometimes too.

I played either Civilization 3 or 4 a few years ago. Even got starladders and orbital dreadnoughts(or whatever they were called in the game). It was pretty cool. I think, however, that I enjoy another turn based strategy game a bit more (since it's on an interstellar scale, although planetary detail is not an option unfortunately) but currently I think Sword Of The Stars is fairly fun, especially if you ever have the desire to conquer the universe and don't have 6.02*10^23 megagrams of gold to finance interstellar war in real life.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2011, 1:32 am

Civ 3 was good but had some serious balance flaws, like the "technology broker" strat that basically left you overlord of the world if played right.

Civ 4 is an incredibly balanced game, though I also didn't like the more cartoony-style leaders. About the only problem I guess is the late game where you need massive armies and some factory cities churning out units just to keep up with the AI, let alone actually conquer them.

Civ 5 was not produced by Sid Meier. First game in the series to move to hexes. Overall I liked the changes but there are two problems for me. First is the system requirements are a bit high. Game doesn't look that great unless you can turn the graphics up. Second is that it doesn't quite seem "tactically deep" enough, like it is simplified just a little too much.

I would play civ5 more but again the system reqs are too high, my computer has a bit of trouble with it.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

I still enjoy the occasional game of the original or Civ 4. The problem I have, though, is that the micromanagement requirements get higher and higher the more I progress, and eventually I get sick of trying to keep track of it all and just abandon it. Does anyone know if there's a game mode that will eliminate this problem for me?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 8:00 pm

i have been playing Master of Orion 2 off and on since 1995 its one of my guilty pleasures.

Civ 4 is very addicting for me I love playing on huge Pangea map. I usually play the British or the Greeks. When I play Civ 5 I like to play the Germans because you can build an army pretty quickly. I have never been able to conqure more than three nations in one game. Anyone manage to pull off world domination?

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2011, 3:47 am

kotshka wrote:
I still enjoy the occasional game of the original or Civ 4. The problem I have, though, is that the micromanagement requirements get higher and higher the more I progress, and eventually I get sick of trying to keep track of it all and just abandon it. Does anyone know if there's a game mode that will eliminate this problem for me?

Hah that is me too! I would start games and by mid game the micro got too much. Usually started again. I didn't like that. Civ 5 is better in that regard, but by mid game I start getting graphics artefacts and the game gets real sluggish, which is why I need a new PC :( Otherwise Civ5 does a lot to stop the tedious army management in the late game, it is quite good.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

Todesking wrote:
Civ 4 is very addicting for me I love playing on huge Pangea map.

That's my favorite map too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 9:54 pm

I like Civilization, but not as much I like Alpha Centari and Age of Empires.