Trip-Hop, Drum & Bass and related genres

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 12:43 am

Ok - totally new info. Knowing its you I'm taking a second more close listen to it: to me it sounds good, you've got the effects well played, the melodic ideas work well, I think the only thing I'd critique is the sound quality of the recording and a few mixing/EQing aspects. I mean if it sounds exactly the way you meant it to sound that's cool - if I heard the rest of what you were working on maybe a different track would put that style of mixing into a different perspective for me and I'd get it at that point. Other than that, sounds like you have a beat with a lot of effects going through it, almost like its vocoded through a white noise oscillator or two on another synth - its slick but it adds a sort of distortion that sounds off unless you hone it down in certain ways with the gate effects, EQing, possibly some flange: it would work great as long as its tightened up.

The way I'd put this track, starts almost d&b-ish but goes more toward something that's more like straight on breakz techno like Neil Landstum or Adam X threw down at DEMF 2000. Overall I think you have good ideas, and keep at it - the ambience and pads are really sick.