Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

angelbear wrote:
I have met so many parents that have spent thousands of dollars going to holistic doctors who have run test on their kids and have found very high metal levels in their child's systems and then helped the parents to detox these kids. Their kids are improving and many are doing well. I just really don't want to inject my child with any more toxins. I guess this is why I decided to hold off until I feel comfortable doing it.

The phrase "holistic doctor" raises alarms for me. There is currently a scam meant to defraud parents of autistic kids by making them think their kid has elevated mercury levels.

Here's a description: http://iluarchitchhabra.wordpress.com/2 ... is-a-scam/

The previous incarnation of this scam (before "autism=mercury poisening" became a meme) was to defraud people with mercury amalgam fillings into thinking they were swallowing mercury.

Legitimate doctors do order legitimate metal levels tests. Lead level tests are even routine with no suspicion- they're just protocol. But this whole "spend thousands of dollars going to holistic doctors" thing does sound like they are being taken for a ride. I applaud your doctor for being so very practical in making sure your son's issues could not be blamed on the MMR vaccine.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

Janissy wrote:
angelbear wrote:
I have met so many parents that have spent thousands of dollars going to holistic doctors who have run test on their kids and have found very high metal levels in their child's systems and then helped the parents to detox these kids. Their kids are improving and many are doing well. I just really don't want to inject my child with any more toxins. I guess this is why I decided to hold off until I feel comfortable doing it.

The phrase "holistic doctor" raises alarms for me. There is currently a scam meant to defraud parents of autistic kids by making them think their kid has elevated mercury levels.

Here's a description: http://iluarchitchhabra.wordpress.com/2 ... is-a-scam/

The previous incarnation of this scam (before "autism=mercury poisoning" became a meme) was to defraud people with mercury amalgam fillings into thinking they were swallowing mercury.

Legitimate doctors do order legitimate metal levels tests. Lead level tests are even routine with no suspicion- they're just protocol. But this whole "spend thousands of dollars going to holistic doctors" thing does sound like they are being taken for a ride. I applaud your doctor for being so very practical in making sure your son's issues could not be blamed on the MMR vaccine.

Interject topic

Normally I would respect the freedom of parents to raise their children as they see fit, whether it be homeschooling,helicopter parenting and heavy sports involvement, and even genderfreedom. But I really wish parents would understand that vaccines are not a cause of Autism. It is a genetic dice roll, and many diseases can be eradicated and eliminated by regular vaccination.

MMR did not exist when I was a child. And my AS father only got smallpox vaccinations-twice in his life (as a seven year old and as an adult when he went overseas during WW2.

This vaccine toxicity nonsense is just getting too lame--and I would not care except that it is the children who suffer.
Read Callista's post on the first page of this thread, which is really the only advice needed. :idea:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

There are quite a few shady greedy bastards giving the name 'holistic' a really bad name that is undeserved.

Don't shoot all 'holistic' practioners on site. Any bearing chelation therapies and miracles cures for a price - fire away.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 7:20 am

angelbear wrote:
It used to be rare to hear of a child with autism. Now I am meeting children just about every day that have some form of it. We as parents have a tough decision to make and are just doing the best we can.

People didn't used to understand what autism was though. My mother has been autistic her whole life, but no one would have picked up on a girl having autism in the 60s. I work with people who I think are autistic and are the same age as my mum. I think that there are alot of adults who are undiagnosed.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

hurtloam wrote:
angelbear wrote:
It used to be rare to hear of a child with autism. Now I am meeting children just about every day that have some form of it. We as parents have a tough decision to make and are just doing the best we can.

People didn't used to understand what autism was though. My mother has been autistic her whole life, but no one would have picked up on a girl having autism in the 60s. I work with people who I think are autistic and are the same age as my mum. I think that there are alot of adults who are undiagnosed.

This is true.

styphon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

I think anti-vaccine people should be forced to see what these once rare diseases bring. Come to the pediatrics ICU and watch as a 2 year old dies from pertussis because their hippie "new age parent" skipped the DTaP vaccine. Or come watch a 8 year old die of a simple infection because they have aplastic anemia (total bone marrow failure) caused by measles. Watch as boys who haven't even hit puberty become infertile from mumps!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 12:41 am

I was autistic from birth.

I've lost trust in most traditional doctors because it's as if they want to blame everything on my autism. I've had a problem with my joints my entire life where if something brushes up against them if they are unbent I feel as if I will faint. All the doctors told my mom it was just "because of the autism" and would suggest things that made it worse such as joint compression and this stupid brushing thing. The only doctors who have taken it seriously are chiropracters and holistic doctors.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2011, 12:50 am

It was some journalist in the UK, who published a story, and it pretty much went viral and doctors and advocates adopted it as fact. He later `recanted` and admitted it wasn`t scientifically sound.
Damage had been done though,.

Thank you Dr. A-hole, now we have TB and measles reaccuring in our population.

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare

Drifter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2011, 1:47 am

Callista wrote:
Autism diagnosis has increased for three reasons. First, we now know more about autism, and we can spot it more easily. Second, we have expanded the definition to include a much broader category of individuals. And third, we no longer mistake autism for mental retardation. If you look at the numbers, you'll see autism rising at the same time as mental retardation is dropping--we're "stealing" cases from that group. There is probably a fourth reason which represents a real increase: With modern medicine, those who would have died before birth or shortly thereafter are surviving, but with medical problems that make autism more likely. These children, who would not otherwise have survived, are now living at least into their toddler years and being diagnosed with autism.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo97VouL0ls&playnext=1&list=PLA6C58F56AAB68FC4[/youtube]

Here is Part 2 BTW:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_nYMEO82mo[/youtube]

AdamBacon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2011, 2:34 am

Interesting... Even though there's no scientific evidence, it is something that we should be cautious and continue studying.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:05 am

measles and polio are on the rise in both the us and europe and the vaccine scare is being blamed for this.i personaly dont see any difference between promising that avoiding something will asure that you avoid a sickness is any different than promising a cure.this vaccing theory is leatrile pure and simple

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

styphon wrote:
I think anti-vaccine people should be forced to see what these once rare diseases bring. Come to the pediatrics ICU and watch as a 2 year old dies from pertussis because their hippie "new age parent" skipped the DTaP vaccine. Or come watch a 8 year old die of a simple infection because they have aplastic anemia (total bone marrow failure) caused by measles. Watch as boys who haven't even hit puberty become infertile from mumps!

Thank you I was think the very same thing.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:04 pm

anything that can lead to any damage on the brain can create a contribution to an effect of autism. my views is that with so many people increasingly coming to have psychiatric problem, autism etc.... that it's probably not one thing that's causing all this. although, one thing may be the last straw for certain people, that last straw may not be the same in everyone.

I've read that it's not only the chemicals in the vaccines that are the problem, but that when the immune system activates to target a pathogen one of the things it does is release toxins in the brain to destroy that pathogen. this can damage the brain and is why that people that were very sick as kids are more likely to end up with autism. if this immune system activity is created by vaccines as well, then it would explain a lot of things as we have been having increasing rates of autism, and numerous other problems too, along with increasing rates of vaccination.

i would think the problem is more systemic than that though. i think it has to do with pollution, poorer quality food that nowadays has less nutritive value, some medicine such as vaccines, TV, and over-diagnosis in some cases, and just about everything else that has occurred over the past 100 or so years that had never occurred before in the history of man.

and here's something that's fun to read if you're thinking the science behind the safety of these vaccines is legit. it's just one case. i wonder if there are others.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... JJ20110413

Reuters) - A scientist in Denmark has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Atlanta for allegedly stealing $1 million in grant money that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had earmarked for autism research.

U.S. prosecutors on Wednesday said they are seeking to extradite Poul Thorsen, 49, accused of wire fraud and money laundering.

He used the stolen money to buy a home in Atlanta, a Harley Davidson motorcycle and two cars, prosecutors said.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
measles and polio are on the rise in both the us and europe and the vaccine scare is being blamed for this.i personaly dont see any difference between promising that avoiding something will asure that you avoid a sickness is any different than promising a cure.this vaccing theory is laetrile pure and simple

i don't think you used laetrile right.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/laetrile

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

styphon wrote:

i think the pro vaccine people should be forced to raise autistic children!

you know what's so funny about this whole mess? if there weren't laws forcing people to vaccinate, the people that didn't want to wouldn't and the people that did want to would and there'd be no big hullabaloo about any of this. isn't that funny?

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:13 pm

draelynn wrote:
There are quite a few shady greedy bastards giving the name 'holistic' a really bad name that is undeserved.

Don't shoot all 'holistic' practioners on site. Any bearing chelation therapies and miracles cures for a price - fire away.

there are good and bad docs on both ends of the medicinal spectrum. why does it always turn into a this vs that argument?