What are some of the things you have been yelled at work for

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

What are some of the things you have been yelled at work for?

I have been yelled at for throwing things when pissed

I have been yelled at for screaming at co-workers

They did not like me monopalizing the fans durring a heat wave :P

I got screamed at for being unsafe around heavy machinery

For not bandaging a still bleeding wound

For changing a radio station

For talking too much

I was yelled at for getting sidetracked doing a job I was not suppose to be doing.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

I often blow through my tasks and then spend my time hitting the random button on Wikipedia so get criticized for surfing too much. Later I go back and review my work correcting mistakes and then doing additional work, so often the discussion goes something like this:

"You spend too much time on the internet"

"Did I complete all my assigned tasks?"

"Yes, but..."

"Was the quality good?"

"Yes, but..."

"Did you like the additional stuff I did?"

"Yes, but..."

"I am not sure what the issue is if I am getting more than my share of work done correctly in a short amount of time?"

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm

I got yelled at by management for telling my bully co-worker not to raise her voice at me. Both the owner and manager plus the bully, all three of them, ended up yelling at me in the middle of the office, and everyone else was staring in shock.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

Quote:
I got yelled at by management for telling my bully co-worker not to raise her voice at me. Both the owner and manager plus the bully, all three of them, ended up yelling at me in the middle of the office, and everyone else was staring in shock.

That sounds horrible...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

I once got yelled at for refusing to chase a shoplifter outdoors and confront her. My dad worked as a security guard once and chased shoplifters outdoors. One of them pulled a gun on him. Another one stabbed his partner in the back with a screwdriver. As if I needed an excuse not to do it, since it's not in my job description.

I also got yelled at for not coming in to work one day after getting into a car accident, even though that was the only time I didn't show up, and the other employees were always not showing up and never suffering any consequences for it.

If you're a masochist, don't pass up the chance to work in fast food. The managers are dicks who have an inflated opinion of themselves because they got to be in charge of something, even something as unimpressive as a fast food restaurant. Like cops, a lot of them get into it so they can go on a power trip and treat people like crap because they know they'll get away with it every time.

One incident that sticks out in my memories is getting yelled at for violating the rule of not letting people come through the drive thru on bicycles, a rule that nobody bothered to tell me about but insisted that they did when I pointed out that they hadn't. Also, the floor of Long John Silver's was just never clean enough for Mike the Asswipe Boss, as if anyone would care in such a trashy place.

I remember quite a few Catch-22 situations at my job as a clerk and stocker in a retail store. Every employee had the official job title of "clerk," but a more accurate title would have been "clerk, stocker, janitor, and a lot of other BS that wasn't in the job description." The Catch-22 was that employees were not supposed to leave their cash registers unattended, and yet whenever the manager saw one of us standing there with no customers in line, we would get yelled at for "standing around doing nothing."

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

My boss has no testicles, so he doesn't bother me anymore. I let him think he is in charge, but everyone there knows that they can push him around. His own son put him in a headlock once, and did he fire him? NOOOOO. Instead he fires his best manager because his son called him a n****r. Yes, he fired the manager for that. Impressive. Working there has certainly built up my confidence 8)

At my previous job, I would get yelled at for the same things everyone else did. Sure, they would bug me more often because I was an easy target, and that's why I got fired, but nothing unique. Then again, they made up excuses for everyone. That has nothing to do with AS. That place wasn't all that bad when it comes down to it. There is a reason Wegmans is number 1 on top 10 lists of grocery stores.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:49 pm

Jory wrote:
If you're a masochist, don't pass up the chance to work in fast food. The managers are dicks who have an inflated opinion of themselves because they got to be in charge of something, even something as unimpressive as a fast food restaurant. Like cops, a lot of them get into it so they can go on a power trip and treat people like crap because they know they'll get away with it every time.

I worked at a Burger King for five hours once in 1987. With in two hours some short fat African American female manager managed to racially insult the four white and one asian employee at least twice as we worked I was called trailer trash and a cracker ass cracker by her while mopping the floor. She made a 16 year old girl cry so she called her mother and she came in and beat the manager up. I got yelled at because I laughed when the manager got her wig beat off her head and I did not break it up. I quit like two hours latter for getting grease in my hair and the manager went home early. But I wrote a statement saying the reason was because I was called a cracker by the manager and could not work in such an environment.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

Working at a Convenience Store, in retrospect, might not have been a good idea. When I was busy it meant dealing with the public. When they were not there I was bored.

Still I probably should not have changes the Slush Puppy dialog bubble from "Try a Slushee" to "Hi, I'm the anti-Christ"... and my additions to the "what to do in case of a robbery" instruction list were not really accepted either.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2011, 8:00 pm

For being given a correction/suggestion and running-off to do it; not realizing the conversation wasn't over. The person giving the suggestion had turned and was speaking to my other coworker for at-least 5 minutes, when I decided to do it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm

Infoseeker wrote:
running-off ... not realizing the conversation wasn't over.

This has gotten me in trouble frequently in all aspects of life, not just work.

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2011, 7:18 am

"Still I probably should not have changes the Slush Puppy dialog bubble from "Try a Slushee" to "Hi, I'm the anti-Christ"... and my additions to the "what to do in case of a robbery" instruction list were not really accepted either."

Meow1971, that's the funniest thing I've read in years! Tell us, what did you add to the list?

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

I cannot remember the exact wording as it was over 20 years ago but it was something on the order of removing an UZI from underneath the counter, firing short bursts and dragging the body back into the store while insisting "thought he had a gun". Not the most clever thing but it made sense at the time.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

Over the 10+ years i have worked in my recent job, I have found that people tend to yell about something, but the reason for yelling is something else. They used to yell at me, and I tried to find out what was wrong and reason the thing out - with no avail. Beacuse I cannot read their nonverbal communication, I end up frustrating them beacuse I don't know that I should let them alone that moment. But they have learned to tell me in words, if they are having a bad day or are angry. That way, I can wait for a better moment and don't need to listen to that much yelling any more.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

Jory wrote:
I once got yelled at for refusing to chase a shoplifter outdoors and confront her. My dad worked as a security guard once and chased shoplifters outdoors. One of them pulled a gun on him. Another one stabbed his partner in the back with a screwdriver. As if I needed an excuse not to do it, since it's not in my job description.

Also, people get yelled/fired for the opposite too! For exactly the same reason. "Why DID you chase that shoplifter and tackle him?! That is not part of your job description! You put our business in jeopardy, you are fired just in-case they try to make a case out of this."

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Infoseeker wrote:
Jory wrote:

Also, people get yelled/fired for the opposite too! For exactly the same reason. "Why DID you chase that shoplifter and tackle him?! That is not part of your job description! You put our business in jeopardy, you are fired just in-case they try to make a case out of this."

I'm sure I would have gotten yelled at no matter what I did, since, as I mentioned, my manager liked putting the employees in "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. But yeah, I was, for some reason, expected to be the security guard.

Another time, there was an incident that involved an angry woman who wanted to return something but wasn't allowed to, and she reached into a cash register to get the $5 that she wanted back. When she left, I was asked to go outside and get the license plate number on her car. I refused, and got an earful of s**t yet again.

EDIT: A little more information on what a colossal asswipe this manager was: I told another employee that I wanted to quit, and this apparently got back to the manager. She didn't want to fire me because she didn't want me collecting unemployment benefits, so she did everything she could to make me quit. She reduced my weekly hours from 30 to 25 to 20 to 15 to 10, until finally I was scheduled to come in for a few hours on the weekend and I was forced to quit. And I never got my last paycheck.

oceanclub
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2011, 12:18 am

Jory wrote:

I also got yelled at for not coming in to work one day after getting into a car accident, even though that was the only time I didn't show up, and the other employees were always not showing up and never suffering any consequences for it.

One incident that sticks out in my memories is getting yelled at for violating the rule of not letting people come through the drive thru on bicycles, a rule that nobody bothered to tell me about but insisted that they did when I pointed out that they hadn't. Also, the floor of Long John Silver's was just never clean enough for Mike the Asswipe Boss, as if anyone would care in such a trashy place.

I remember quite a few Catch-22 situations at my job as a clerk and stocker in a retail store. Every employee had the official job title of "clerk," but a more accurate title would have been "clerk, stocker, janitor, and a lot of other BS that wasn't in the job description." The Catch-22 was that employees were not supposed to leave their cash registers unattended, and yet whenever the manager saw one of us standing there with no customers in line, we would get yelled at for "standing around doing nothing."

I have a supervisor who listens to our calls and scores them. If I dont score well and usually I dont by her standards, she demands an explanation. She told me I was very unhelpful to a very very nasty customer. When I explained how nasty the customer was, she said she listened to the call and "I dont blame her for being nasty to you. I would have been too" Fast food places suck, I agree. I think there is a law that if a place pays you minimum wage, the boss MUST be a jerk who will never fire you no matter what but will make your life hell if he doesnt like you. I had one of those when I was a delivery driver at Pizza Hut years ago. The manager decided he wanted me washing dishes between deliveries. If he ever saw me doing anything but washing dishes, he would scream at me. I went to the bathroom and when I came out, he says,"those dishes arent going to wash themselves". Not only that but I usually came in about 5 or 6. Dishes would be left all day waiting for me to do when I got in. All other employees could be goofing off doing nothing but I better be washing those dishes. He then cut me down to 3 hours one week so I just told him to not even bother putting me on the schedule anymore. I also worked at Kinko's. They hired me as a delivery driver as well. The guy I replaced had been there for four years and somehow within two weeks, I was expected to be as knowledgeable as he was. If I made a mistake which was often because they didnt train me worth a crap, I would be told, "Jimmy (not his real name) could do this. Why cant you?" Jimmy didnt leave Kinko's, he just strted working in the store. Then one time, they told me I couldnt do a price quote and then yelled at me for not knowing how to do one.