Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Since I am unsure whether I am ready to take a cat I am keeping a cat for a friend. The cat is very sweet but she tells me he sneaks onto people's beds at night and I'm kinda scared I might hurt the cat accidentally during my sleep as I move a lot. I'm also sort of afraid of getting the claws on my face, the cat peeing on me or cat hair getting everywhere. Or (I know it's ridiculous but I'm still scared) the cat might sit on my face and choke me in my sleep...

Do you sleep with your cat? Has it ever been a problem?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:22 pm

I used to have similar worries. My cat used to take up half the bed when she slept with me, and I was always afraid of rolling over and crushing her or kicking her accidentally. But I got her to start sleeping at the foot of my bed by placing a soft blanket there. Now she sleeps at my feet at night and we don't bother each other.

Maybe you should try putting a soft blanket at the foot of your bed as well.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:32 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have two cats that tend to sleep with me, there will be cat hair on your bed, and cats seem to have the amazing ability of booting you out of bed because despite their small size they seem to somehow take up half the bed, other than that they're fine.

I was very worried at first about us squishing them or the cats harming us.
One of my cats likes to lay on top of us but she's very small and doesn't go near our head so she's fine, she does get the occasional gentle kick because my legs sometimes spasm in the night or when I wake up and don't realise straight away that she's the big heavy lump on my feet or on the bottom of the bed taking up all the room - she gives me a dirty look, but she's never been hurt. The tom has been a bit of a pest, when he wants attention he will stand on us in more uncomfortable and harmful ways, for example he used to stand on my throat, or would often stretch so his paws (and claws) were in my face - but I'm still here, and he doesn't do this much any more.

When they want attention they may stand on you or put their paws near your face, but only if you let them as they will quickly learn not to do this if you keep moving them or telling them a firm 'no', but when you're asleep they know this so get on with sleeping, playing, eating, whatever rather than trying to get attention from you by standing on you etc. If you move to potentially lay on top of them then they will move - you'd have to be a large person and literally jump on them when they're not expecting it to be able to harm a cat when in bed.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

in austrailia more people die from cats than all the venomous creatures combined.

(probably the no.1 cat-related death is elderly people tripping over them, so i wouldnt worry)

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2011, 7:46 pm

My experience with cats:

Cats are very alert and will be up and across the room before you completely shift in bed.
Also they expect it; so don't be shy. That cat will simply get out of the way, observe you till it feels it can get back on you comfortably, and eventually rejoin you.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

All of the above. Also, a cat won't use his sleeping area for a litter box...too finicky for that.

Whenever the day is done."

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

If you roll over on the cat, the cat will get away from you and then stay away from you for the rest of the night because you're a crazy cat-crushing person in your sleep. If the cat sits in your face, you will wake up. Then you will see a cat butt in your face and wish you had been suffocated instead. The cat will only hurt you in your sleep if you fail to tend to its needs and desires in a timely manner because you are asleep. In such a situation it is mandatory that you be punished by your cat overlord. A cat may pee in a place other than its litterbox if the litterbox is too unclean to use or if marking needs to be done around the place because the cat has decided your place is a suitable place to claim as its own. The cat will do as the cat pleases.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

wefunction wrote:
If you roll over on the cat, the cat will get away from you and then stay away from you for the rest of the night because you're a crazy cat-crushing person in your sleep. If the cat sits in your face, you will wake up. Then you will see a cat butt in your face and wish you had been suffocated instead. The cat will only hurt you in your sleep if you fail to tend to its needs and desires in a timely manner because you are asleep. In such a situation it is mandatory that you be punished by your cat overlord. A cat may pee in a place other than its litterbox if the litterbox is too unclean to use or if marking needs to be done around the place because the cat has decided your place is a suitable place to claim as its own. The cat will do as the cat pleases.

Your post is hilarious! :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

There's nothing to worry about. The cat will know when to move. My dog used to sleep with me when I was living with my parents.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm

I used to have an awesome Maine Coon cat that would sleep between my feet