Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

most of the 10 commandments are in large part against theft, so theft is an important ethical issue. Interestingly enough, the Jews were the first to note that not just space or objects can be made holy, but that time itself could be sanctified, and just as it could be made holy, it could also be stolen. Time stealers are not always of the worst variety so not much thought is ever given about them, especially against a material(car) thief.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Theft? You and I both live inside the system, so we would both agree that theft is unacceptable. However, for the guys who stole your stuff, they don't care. They got out of the "system". Survival of the fittest is truth, but what social Darwinists don't get is that men can actually redefine their environment. What the thieves did was to notice that they can't survive in the environment that was set by society. By ignoring the concept of property, they become able to survive without the blessing of the society.

All in all, it does not matter if we think it is unacceptable, it will continue to happen and to suggest changes to society to make it impossible to happen won't work, because thieves are already outside of our society. Ok, there is something that we could do to remove theft, and it would be to remove the concept of property so that theft would be impossible, but we do not want that, do we?

Neither you nor I know the economic state of the thieves with any certainty, and yet you are willing to assume off the bat that they're some sort of "noble survivor".

You are wrong my friend, I never attributed nobility to their actions. To me (and you) their actions are crap. And they are evil and a very big inconvenient.

There is nothing noble in their decision to prefer the good old violent way to access resources rather than accepting our arbitrary conventions about property. There is probably nothing noble in the way these arbitrary conventions were set either (I guess that a lot of people were tired of having to constantly fight for things so they, as a society agreed to make theft illegal).

There are thieves of all economic levels. I think that many thieves are actually struggling people, but then we have thieves that already possess a great monetary position and continue stealing.

The decision to just dismiss the notion of property, I would say is composed of many possible reasons. A common one should be that the individual is unable to perform well under our rules. Whether it is because of lazyness, a disability, a society bias against them or a broken economic system that does not allow people to climb from the bottom by just hard work. Or maybe they just want the "thrill" of a thief's life. Or maybe they want 10 times more money than they do, even though they are actually in a good, decent economic position already.

Quote:
As for the not wanting to "remove the concept of poverty"
I meant to say property.

Quote:
You are wrong my friend, I never attributed nobility to their actions. To me (and you) their actions are crap. And they are evil and a very big inconvenient.
On the other hand, those people that decided to live more like animals and be thieves probably think the same of those who don't.

ruveyn wrote:
Even without property there would still be killing which is theft of life. So theft will not go away even in a society without property. Edit: And that's actually what I said in the first place.

ruveyn

That's interesting.

And murder is really something that you cannot discourage people of doing. We have the psychos who get almost-sexual pleasure from it. Then on the more normal side of things, crimes for advancing position in a hierarchy will always happen as long as we have organization in society. And even if we get rid of that. Crimes of passion will occur for as long as there is some emotional part left in humans.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Theft? You and I both live inside the system, so we would both agree that theft is unacceptable. However, for the guys who stole your stuff, they don't care. They got out of the "system". Survival of the fittest is truth, but what social Darwinists don't get is that men can actually redefine their environment. What the thieves did was to notice that they can't survive in the environment that was set by society. By ignoring the concept of property, they become able to survive without the blessing of the society.

All in all, it does not matter if we think it is unacceptable, it will continue to happen and to suggest changes to society to make it impossible to happen won't work, because thieves are already outside of our society. Ok, there is something that we could do to remove theft, and it would be to remove the concept of property so that theft would be impossible, but we do not want that, do we?

Neither you nor I know the economic state of the thieves with any certainty, and yet you are willing to assume off the bat that they're some sort of "noble survivor".

There is nothing noble in their decision to prefer the good old violent way to access resources rather than accepting our arbitrary conventions about property. There is probably nothing noble in the way these arbitrary conventions were set either (I guess that a lot of people were tired of having to constantly fight for things so they, as a society agreed to make theft illegal).

There are thieves of all economic levels. I think that many thieves are actually struggling people, but then we have thieves that already possess a great monetary position and continue stealing.

The decision to just dismiss the notion of property, I would say is composed of many possible reasons. A common one should be that the individual is unable to perform well under our rules. Whether it is because of lazyness, a disability, a society bias against them or a broken economic system that does not allow people to climb from the bottom by just hard work. Or maybe they just want the "thrill" of a thief's life. Or maybe they want 10 times more money than they do, even though they are actually in a good, decent economic position already.

Quote:
As for the not wanting to "remove the concept of poverty"
I meant to say property.

Quote:
On the other hand, those people that decided to live more like animals and be thieves probably think the same of those who don't.

ruveyn wrote:
Even without property there would still be killing which is theft of life. So theft will not go away even in a society without property. Edit: And that's actually what I said in the first place.

ruveyn

That's interesting.

And murder is really something that you cannot discourage people of doing. We have the psychos who get almost-sexual pleasure from it. Then on the more normal side of things, crimes for advancing position in a hierarchy will always happen as long as we have organization in society. And even if we get rid of that. Crimes of passion will occur for as long as there is some emotional part left in humans.

Right, merely societal convention and mere notions of property that they're willing to throw away when it comes to taking from others, but I'd be willing to bet that they'd be ticked off if you tried to take theirs from them.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 1:02 am

I think when something like this happens, it is a personal reminder of how much control we have over our environment and other people. Fortunately we live in a society with laws, personal moral codes, and a degree of social security. Most people don't worry about this kind of thing on a day to day basis, and have no significant reason to. Now you do, until enough time passes until this particular chaos is forgotten.

I had a friend that had his house broken into and surpisingly a very expensive camera was left seemingly untouched. This was before the time of digital cameras. When the photos came back one of the pictures displayed my friends toothbrush stuck in a not so nice place of one of the thieves. This was much harder to accept than the material things that were stolen. Truly a reminder of sh** happens. They will probably remember that toothbrush and thief, long after the theft and camera are forgotten.

TheRedKipper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2011, 10:50 am

The perps could be kleptomanic and that car happened to be in view. Maybe they couldn't help stealing stuff.

Of course Stealing will come back and suckerpunch you through karma.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

you_are_what_you_is wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

I concur, however obliterating the universe is never ok.

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 1:53 am

RedHanrahan wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

peace j

We are having a good deal of trouble and mental anguish in our best attempts to destroy this rather insignificant planet. How does one even conceive of a method to destroy the universe?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:49 am

Sand wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

peace j

We are having a good deal of trouble and mental anguish in our best attempts to destroy this rather insignificant planet. How does one even conceive of a method to destroy the universe?

No one is trying to destroy the planet. If we succeed in doing so it will not be on purpose.

ruveyn

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:10 am

TheRedKipper wrote:
Of course Stealing will come back and suckerpunch you through karma.

It would be nice to think this, but judging by the people I've met who do not see the wrong they are doing as such and also have no inclination to learn from their mistakes, my hopes are not high. There are definitely people out there who do not get punished for the wrong they do and simply do not care about the emotional harm they inflict on others.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

Sand wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

peace j

Sand, this was a barbed irony not a serious proposition, the parakeet may fantasise about such things but I know them to be improbable, peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

peace j

It is also impossible to do. Mass-energy is conserved.

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
most of the 10 commandments are in large part against theft, so theft is an important ethical issue. Interestingly enough, the Jews were the first to note that not just space or objects can be made holy, but that time itself could be sanctified, and just as it could be made holy, it could also be stolen. Time stealers are not always of the worst variety so not much thought is ever given about them, especially against a material(car) thief.

Many employers use the phrase "time theft" to describe employees taking too long of a break, gossiping with other employees during work time. writing on internet message boards during the work day, etc.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

peace j

It is also impossible to do. Mass-energy is conserved.

ruveyn

Does this provide evidence that the energy from the Universe will always be in existence? Or are you speaking just about the possibility of the destruction of it now. I'm not sure you expressed your opinion on it before, but do you think this energy can come from nothing. Does our current understanding of the laws of physics allow for a beggining or an end to the Energy? Not a philosophical question, just a scientific one. You seem to be current, in the advancements in physics.

PainInTheASpergerS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

It is never acceptable and it can not be excused. To take something that required the life and energy to acquire or make, the life and energy of another human is akin to murder.

Anyone caught and convicted of theft should be compelled to make good what he stole and if that is not possible then life imprisonment. For example Bernie Madoff.

ruveyn

Really? Stealing is akin to murder? :? That's quite extreme.

If you believe so, then should the punishment not be more akin to that for murder? I suppose what you suggested is in places where there is no death penalty. So, if there is a death penalty, do you think that the punishment for being caught stealing should be death? What if you stole a pack of gum? Is there some sort of scale for the severity of the punishment being proportional to the magnitude of the theft? Or is all stealing the same?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

A couple of years ago I had two loads of clean laundry stolen from the back of my car (at the time, I was driving a 15 year old Honda Civic that had been broken into so many times that the locks no longer worked). Aside from the clothes on my back, it was basically all that I had to wear. What cost me several hundred dollars to replace probably all, or mostly, ended up in a dumpster somewhere. Some people really just don't give a s**t about how much they hurt other people.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

LKL wrote:
A couple of years ago I had two loads of clean laundry stolen from the back of my car (at the time, I was driving a 15 year old Honda Civic that had been broken into so many times that the locks no longer worked). Aside from the clothes on my back, it was basically all that I had to wear. What cost me several hundred dollars to replace probably all, or mostly, ended up in a dumpster somewhere. Some people really just don't give a sh** about how much they hurt other people.

Welcome to the human condition.

ruveyn