No, and I wouldn't like to. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
No, and I wouldn't like to. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:58 pm

Z wrote:
Litigious if someone believes that they need a gun to be truly free, then that person is still a very long way away from freedom.

Shows what you know!!

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 3:56 pm

Litigious wrote:
EDIT

No fair.

If I can be a smart A55 ... so can you.

I can take it.

Cybrludite
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2006, 5:33 pm

Z wrote:
Sorry for this slightly off topic post.

Litigious if someone believes that they need a gun to be truly free, then that person is still a very long way away from freedom.

Back on topic, I have done some target shooting. I did some shooting with a .22 calibre rifle. But to be honest, if all you are after is the target shooting aspect, then buy an air-rifle. The laws are far less strict on them and you can have all the target shooting you want.

Yeah, but an air rifle won't have a sense of history about it. My Mosin-Nagants likely saw service in WWII, and my Lee-Enfield in the various wars of partition after the Brits left India. (On the down side, I can no longer say with any certainty that Ted Kennedy's Oldsmobile has killed more people than my guns have... :roll: ) Another problem with just target shooting with an airgun is that you're quite limited in range. Popping away at a target no more than 30 meters away with a rifle stocked airgun isn't much of a challenge. I can do well out to 200 or so meters with my rifles, and several of them have sights graduated for distances ten times further out.

As for the freedom issue, they do provide a final check & balance and act as a brake on excessive political ambitions. Here's a gedanken experiment: Kick in the door of 1000 homes in the UK (To use a country noted for its civilian disarment) and haul off one of the residents in each one for "Thought Crimes". Now do the same in Texas. Have your next-of-kin correlate the results...

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 5:35 pm

Cybrludite wrote:
Z wrote:

As for the freedom issue, they do provide a final check & balance and act as a brake on excessive political ambitions. Here's a gedanken experiment: Kick in the door of 1000 homes in the UK (To use a country noted for its civilian disarment) and haul off one of the residents in each one for "Thought Crimes". Now do the same in Texas. Have your next-of-kin correlate the results...

Damn straight!!

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 2:47 am

DirtDawg wrote:
Litigious wrote:
EDIT

No fair.

If I can be a smart A55 ... so can you.

I can take it.

No, I wasn't critizising you, I was mistaking you for being an Englishman. :oops:

But I can critizise you, however. You're an American. You can buy a real gun if you like, without restrictions. You don't have to join a shooting club if you just want a gun to protect yourself. In Sweden you wouldn't even get a gun if you wrote on your application that you would have it for self defense. You most probably wouldn't get a gun just being an aspie, no matter how law abiding you are. And an Englishman is not allowed to have a one hand gun at all. You have the right to keep and bear arms, you are not an unarmed sheep like must of us Europeans are forced to be, and you don't appreciate is. It's a shame.

Last edited by Litigious on 28 Aug 2006, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 2:48 am

Scrapheap wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
Z wrote:

Damn straight!!

Amen!

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 7:50 am

Litigious wrote:
You have the right to keep and bear arms, you are not an unarmed sheep like must of us Europeans are forced to be, and you don't appreciate is. It's a shame.

Trust me on this:
There are those of us who really do understand the differences you're talking about.

Unfortunately there are also those childlike innocent types who can see no reason to ever have a right to defend ourselves. They think the government is as protective as a loving father and the world is as safe as mothers milk. Those people have never looked into the eyes of purely evil people and become aware of their true nature. Thank goodness there are enough of us with our heads on straight in this country, at least so far, to make up for those willing to give up the right to keep arms. However, it is very disturbing to see our rights incrementally being assaulted and suspended in the name of freedom and for the sake of our safety. I wish more of us could wake up before it's too late!

The posters you may have seen about prying my weapon from my cold dead hands and that being the only way you can take it:
There are too many of us who don't understand what that really means, too. It's not rhetorical - it's factual - it's actual.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 8:09 am

OK. I misunderstood you. My apoligy. :wink: I would be an American citizen just to have the right to bear arms, if I could. I know that your rights are being violated, but as long as most of you or at least half of your are armed, they can't oppress you completely. That's a great gift, so to speak.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 12:05 pm

Yes, a gift indeed ... bought at a high price and handed to us (my generation) with pride along with the responsibility to keep it whole and pass it down as an hierloom, but totally functioning. I seldom feel as if we've done our part to keep it healthy, but rather we have salvaged the best parts and let the roots go dry.

Shame on us.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 12:42 pm

It's not too late yet. Look at Vermont and Alaska, and many other states. That's the kind of gun laws I would like to see in Europe.

8)