Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What makes one a Christian?
A Christian is one who professes faith in Christ, irrespective of actions. 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
A Christian is one who professes faith in Christ, irrespective of baptism. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
A Christian is one who professes faith in Christ, irrespective of actions or baptism. 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
A Christian is one who professes faith in Christ and who acts in accord with that faith, irrespective of baptism.. 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
A Christian is one who has been "baptized into Christ," irrespective of current belief or action. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
A Christian is still a sinner. 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
A Christian does not sin. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 37

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

To help settle out the ongoing "no TRUE Christian" discussion. Obviously the last two can go in conjunction with most of the choices above; choose whichever is your primary measurement and explain if you would/do combine two options.

Whenever the day is done."

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

I think one has to have been baptized. But, there are those who say that infant Baptism is perfectly legitimate, and others who say that infant baptism is illegitimate--one has to be baptized as an adult, as Jesus was, and as (I think) followers of John the Baptist were and are.

And, there are those who say that if you haven't officially accepted Jesus as your Lord and Saviour (whatever that means), and made some public proclamations attesting to such, then you ain't no Christian. Similarly, if you don't mouth Conservative Republican slogans, then you ain't no Christian.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

Plus, Christians have to believe in the Nicean and Apostles' Creeds, whether they understand it or not, and that every word in the Bible is literally true, even parts that contradict other parts.

Plus, Catholics don't count as Christians, because they worship Mary.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

It depends on the sect of Christianity one is born to or chooses to be.

Catholicism says that God chooses who goes into heaven or not. The goal is to get to heaven by avoiding what the church sees as sinful actions and following the church's teachings. Being a Christian to them means following the church's teachings and avoiding sin.

This largely contrasts with Protestantism who deems that sola fide is all that is required to be a Christian. Belief in Jesus/God as their personal savior is all that is required to be a Christian and go to heaven.

I consider a Christian one who identifies themselves with the Christian religion. I deem a true Christian as someone who lives by Christ's teaches for feelings of compassion rather than the reward of heaven or avoiding the punishment of hell. Something I personally believe Christ would want. Then again, what I consider is not necessarily the truth.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

pandabear wrote:
Plus, Christians have to believe in the Nicean and Apostles' Creeds, whether they understand it or not, and that every word in the Bible is literally true, even parts that contradict other parts.

Nah, they're just christians who ignore the bit about graven images.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

techn0teen wrote:
I deem a true Christian as someone who lives by Christ's teaches for feelings of compassion rather than the reward of heaven or avoiding the punishment of hell.

No. Christianity is all about gaining admittance into Heaven, and following whatever procedures are prescribed to gain admittance. All else is trivial.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

pandabear wrote:
techn0teen wrote:
I deem a true Christian as someone who lives by Christ's teaches for feelings of compassion rather than the reward of heaven or avoiding the punishment of hell.

No. Christianity is all about gaining admittance into Heaven, and following whatever procedures are prescribed to gain admittance. All else is trivial.

My views are not Christianity's views. That's why I used the word "I". Many who critique what is a true Christian base their reasoning that absolute goodness does not need rewards like heaven. That's why Christians are often called posers and fake by the nonreligious.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 6:53 pm

pandabear wrote:

Please go to that creeds site and a few places.

Either you know the reality of Catholics and Mary and are doing a ruveyn, or you are truly ignorant and need to inform yourself.

And, whether you know it or not, neither the Apostle's creed nor the Nicene creed - in any of their forms - are essential all and only's for Christianity.

My reading of you over time suggests you are more commonly outwardly obtuse than inwardly ignorant - though I could be wrong. If I am not wrong, it gets old.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

pandabear wrote:
techn0teen wrote:

You see why I find it hard to believe you are involuntarily ignorant.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

Natty_Boh wrote:
To help settle out the ongoing "no TRUE Christian" discussion. Obviously the last two can go in conjunction with most of the choices above; choose whichever is your primary measurement and explain if you would/do combine two options.

I admire your initiative and your success with the poll mechanism.

As we have seen, definitions is hard. As you have pointed out, only one KNOWS who is true Christian.

For me - tonight - it is a complex thing and after two days hard thought I may modify - essential to the Christian list which is not coextensive with the list of the saved is knowing / hearing / choosing to follow Christ.

The majority will continue to be sinners - I will not rule out the possibility some may not.

The majority will be baptized - some may not.

The majority will affiliate with a church organization - some do not.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 7:21 pm

Philologos wrote:
pandabear wrote:
techn0teen wrote:

You see why I find it hard to believe you are involuntarily ignorant.

Thanks very much for the great compliment.

Quote:
The majority will affiliate with a church organization - some do not.

Christianity is, in the end, a business.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

No.

Christianity, in the end, is the end of business. In the beginning it is the door opening on reality.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 8:36 pm

No more tithes or offerings?

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 12:33 am

pandabear wrote:
I think one has to have been baptized. But, there are those who say that infant Baptism is perfectly legitimate, and others who say that infant baptism is illegitimate--one has to be baptized as an adult, as Jesus was, and as (I think) followers of John the Baptist were and are.

Baptism would seem to be the benchmark ; but it necessarily presupposes faith - either the adult's own faith, or the faith of the parents speaking for their child. A person who is seeking baptism but who is not yet baptized is not yet a member of the Church (true whether you take that as a spiritual reality or merely a practical one), but is it correct to say that he is not yet Christian?

technoteen wrote:
I consider a Christian one who identifies themselves with the Christian religion. I deem a true Christian as someone who lives by Christ's teaches for feelings of compassion rather than the reward of heaven or avoiding the punishment of hell. Something I personally believe Christ would want.

There's a prayer by St. Clement that says, in part, something of the sort - "I want to do what you ask of me: in the way that you ask, for as long as you ask, because you ask it." The thing is that few or none of us reach that level, there's always some admixture of self-interest - being free from it to that degree would also mean being entirely free from sin (as an expression of our self-will vs. God's.) Are there then few or even no true Christians?

philologos wrote:
I admire your initiative and your success with the poll mechanism.

As we have seen, definitions is hard. As you have pointed out, only one KNOWS who is true Christian.

It's a warm-up. I'll be in DC the next several days, at the Orientale Lumen conference - a Roman Catholic/Byzantine Catholic/Orthodox initiative. Very much looking forward to it, not least for the chance to hear the OCA Metropolitan (Jonah) and Patriarch Kallistos Ware!

Whenever the day is done."

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 1:36 am

Natty Boh:

"It's a warm-up. I'll be in DC the next several days, at the Orientale Lumen conference - a Roman Catholic/Byzantine Catholic/Orthodox initiative. Very much looking forward to it, not least for the chance to hear the OCA Metropolitan (Jonah) and Patriarch Kallistos Ware!"

Bozhe moi, Theos mou, Perëndia im, Alohi, and other relevant ejaculations! Here we sit in the humid midwest [not that DC is not going to be humid], there the rest of the Inner Circle sits in the dank northwest, and you just down yur berry basket and go hearken to a crowd of the Easterfn bloc.

Could I have persuaded my Glorious Leader to sponsor our running off for this? Would have been relevant.

Ah well. Drink deep. I hereby officially envy you [does not happen a lot these days] - but do not begrudge.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 3:24 am

You lack these options in the poll:
A Christian is one who professes hate for homosexuals.
A Christian is one who professes hate for women.
A Christian is one who professes hate and the killing of abortion practitioners.
A Christian is one who professes hate for condoms.
A Christian is an american patriot who professes hate for illegal (and legal) immigrants that are not caucasians.
A Christian is one who professes Fox News as the most trusted news organization.