Are Most Aspies Good With Babies/Kids or Not Like Them?

Page 8 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

nick007 wrote:
That's why I'm not good with em. I wasn't into typical kid stuff when I was a kid. I do not have the imagination for things like pretend play or telling stories for them to listen to. What I most wanted from adults & other kids when I was one was for them to leave me alone to do my own thing.

It's ironic how as a child I had adult interests way beyond my years (Geography, Astronomy, etc) even in pre-school yet as an adult I enjoy doing kids stuff. Luckily at least for the first year I was generally left alone because the teachers knew I was trustworthy and a good student. Today, if a child asks me to play in a sandbox or draw a picture I am there! Probably has to do with my excellent long term memory. I remember how much children appreciate adults genuinely sharing their interests and I have a playful attitude few outside of early childhood have. Conversely, I also remember what I HATED as a child (being treated in a condescending way and having my serious hope and dreams laughed at like they were cute) and know never to either of those things to a child. I even had a recent example where I was trying to repair a desk leg. A child handed me a plastic toy wrench so what did I do? Used it! I actually tried and then explained to the child exactly why it wasn't working and showed the difference between child's and adult's tools.

Always funny that even though I rarely see them, the children in the daycare of the building I work in all know me by name even before I meet them for the first time. They clearly talk amongst themselves even at the age of 2! Children are very similar to me in that they are far more intelligent than they are able to express and that's why I can relate to their struggles, tantrums, etc so well. I've had a few children tell me that I'm very silly for a grownup to which I always respond "you make it sound like that's a BAD thing!" :lol: Children are usually very open minded and caring and it's always a pleasure to talk to them. Some will even give me lectures like a grandmother would to the point I wonder if they literally were grandmothers in the past! :o Yes, children have even told me about past lives (when they used to be grownup like me) in detail without any prompting. I still can't figure out why they are so open to me and only me.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 3:27 pm

JesseCat wrote:
I thought I disliked children and babies until my nephew was born.
He's so adorable I can't help but be happy around him :)
It turns out I am good with Kids. I just never had enough exposure to them.
Still don't want my own, however. Don't think I can handle that

Also dont mean to ruffle any feathers, but hate is a strong word for a helpless infant.
I am a bit saddened by how many people claim to "hate" children.
Hating a murderer or rapist is one thing, but a baby?
Come on

I tend to agree with this.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes