Are Most Aspies Good With Babies/Kids or Not Like Them?

Page 5 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 6:18 am

I don't mind babies, but I won't hold them, as I fear I would break them and the consequences are great :oops: I find babies aren't too unbearable noise-wise, certainly not compared to toddlers. When they are old enough to run around like crazy shrieking like crazy I can't stand it - I couldn't stand it when I was that age either. When they are old enough to converse with I tend to talk to them like ignorant adults (which I mean in the nicest possible way - of course they're ignorant, they haven't been educated yet (also, is that what people mean by "innocent"?)) rather than the sing-song ooo booo goo goo gaa gaa silliness I hear from adults with babies. I have no problem telling a 3 year old in detail why he should not put eating irons in a turned-on toaster. I find questions about dead relatives difficult because I know most parents would not like me to describe the decomposition process to their child. Santa Claus is another difficult one; I will never ask a child what they got from "Santa" and I don't understand why generations of parents tell this lie. Surely it is harder for kids to understand a supernatural bearded man with airborne reindeer descending every chimney on earth in 24 hours than the concept of giving people gifts because you love and appreciate them?!? I got in trouble when I was in primary (elementary for you Americans) school for telling kids Santa wasn't real, but that's another story.

danum
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2011, 6:31 am

I don't like children; I can't cope with their unpredictability.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:21 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i love babies/children. they don't have any of the things i hate about grown-ups. they're all pure-minded and honest and uncorrupted. and cute as hell.
i don't understand when people don't like them

I agree. *glances at your avitar with an empty stomach* Sometimes even look tasty :lol:
(Yes, that last part was a joke. I would never consider eating a kid)

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 10:25 am

kc8ufv wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
i love babies/children. they don't have any of the things i hate about grown-ups. they're all pure-minded and honest and uncorrupted. and cute as hell.

I agree. *glances at your avitar with an empty stomach* Sometimes even look tasty :lol:

Of course not, there's too little meat once you take out the vital organs and bone. On the other hand, I bet they're tender...

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back...

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:28 am

Children, yes, on an individual basis. Babies tend to be little more than loud, gooey things that I'm afraid to break if I come too close to them.

I'm good at playing with young children, but I tend to make them focus on one particular activity rather than constantly switch.
"I want to play this game!" 5 minutes later "let's play THIS game now!"
Is not something I'm good at and slight changes with a focus on their involvement to the currently played game are often enough to recapture their interests.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:31 am

kc8ufv wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

that is certainly a relief.
although i did eat this one after the photograph was taken.

Australien wrote:
I want my baby back, baby back, baby back...

lol

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

I've been told I'm good around young children. And I seem to like them too, because I enjoy being around them. They don't care if I'm NT or not, it only matters if I have fun with them and take care of them. That's what I like most about them.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

I like children, but sometimes they like me too much for me to be comfortable with. I was watching a show the other day and a random toddler kept trying to talk to me. He was talkative, but I was still worried about what his parents thought, they looked at me strangely every time he spoke to me :pale:

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 7:11 pm

I've always gotten on well with small children. Not as well as with animals, I guess, but I find it easier to connect on their level than people "my age". Even when I was a kid, I got on well with toddlers, etc, but not kids my own age. At gatherings etc I'm usually the one trying to play with the baby or cat, if there is one available, instead of interact with the adults. Now, I have a toddler myself, and I do not find it hard to connect to him. It's easy for me to put myself back in that place as I remember when I was little and how frustrating things were (I'm sure he's a much easier child than I was though, perhaps because I'm pretty sure he doesn't have Asperger's). I'm often astonished at the kind of comments that I hear other parents make about their small children, as if they do not remember being children themselves and how it was. Maybe they don't.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

Its weird but babies seem to like me they smile and bounce in my presense. Dogs and cats like me too. I had people warn me their dog/cat hated strangers then a few seconds later their pet was doing its best to get my attention.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 11:33 pm

I have always been told I am great with kids, but part of that is because I have a hard time telling them "no" and I don't boss them around. But I don't like being around kids for very long. I don't mind the crying, it's the fact that they are always wanting to move and destroy things. Or they are too clingy and always want to be with me. Like most, if not all Aspie's, I need my space and quiet time, and obviously with babies that isn't very likely.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 5:01 am

I try to avoid kids as much as I can. One time when I was working in food service, a little kid (about 3) was apparently saying hi to me. I didn't even notice. His mom became annoyed and petulantly asked me "could you say hi to him please!!". I was taken aback. I would never have known the little brat was addressing me.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 5:35 am

I don't like babies, they can be a novelty to look at from a distance, but I only intend to get up close once in my life. I'm dreading it, but its necessary if I want a child.
I'm terrified of children, but I do like them, as long as they're occupied with a quiet task and are not running around screaming.
I often get told that I'm good with kids, and that I have a 'natural maternal instinct'
The truth is that my reaction is "oh good, its quiet and happy, now don't make it cry, for goodness sake don't make it cry!! !"

I think my attitude to a child of my own will be different, I will be the one raising it, after all! And the child will probably seem quite clean and quiet compared to the baby, and I will be able to communicate with it.

MEDrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 10:21 am

The only way I would ever have a child is if you could order them online to your exact specifications and have them delivered via post. Preferably aged 18.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 10:26 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:

Me too. Kids also tend to like me. It's really weird because they'll latch on to me before I've said anything to them, picking me out of a group of adults. Kids over 8 or so make me shy the same way adults do, but they're only fully as scary as adults at adolescence - which is the age when I was completely left behind in social skills.

I often talk to kids the same way I talk to adults, and they tend to appreciate that, though other adults see it and think I'm nuts. Even though I like kids and have four of my own, I don't think of myself as "meternal" or "motherly" and no one else has ever said that, either. I'm more fatherly, maybe, or big-sisterly.

Khandov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

I have no aversion against children, but when I had to watch over a 4-5 year old, I found it quite annoying. A matter of patience and consequence, I think. My mom is good in both.