liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 6:16 pm

Was wondering if anyone has taken this assesment called
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory

(I'm not from minnesota...)

If you have what did it show/tell?

This is the first long personality test i've ever taken. 567 questions.....quite long.

Anyways....any stories/experiences with the test...

I was given this test my a neuropsych.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

I took it, and the result was schizoid personality disorder. The MMPI is not designed to identify AS, but people with AS often score high for SPD on it, so a result of SPD can be used as one piece of evidence to support a diagnosis of AS. SPD was not suspected as a diagnosis in lieu of AS, because the overlapping traits and behaviors of AS and SPD were all noticeable in early childhood.

I found many of the questions to be vague, so it was difficult to provide definite true/false answers on them.

I didn't get to see the full 20-page report when the results came back, because it's against professional policy for patients to see the results. I guess they don't want us to find out how exactly everything is calculated to determine this or that type of personality.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

I just took it online:

http://www.mindfithypnosis.com/articles ... online.htm

I scored high on schizophrenia (which I am not...but a lot of the characteristics can be similar to ASD, I suppose) and social-introversion.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I just took it online:

http://www.mindfithypnosis.com/articles ... online.htm

I scored high on schizophrenia (which I am not...but a lot of the characteristics can be similar to ASD, I suppose) and social-introversion.

Thanks for the link, I transfered my answers onto there but alot of the abreviations I can't understand.

Which chart did you get the most information from?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

NM I guess you just looked at the long list.

High T-scores:
Backside F
PTSD
Hysteria, Obvious
Depression, Obvious

100+ or =

Though there were also a lot in the 80's and 90's

These questions seemed worded very badly.

Last edited by liveandletdie on 21 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:20 pm

I took an online version before I ever took the paper version, and from the more raw data online, my top score was schizophrenia and my second score was introversion. When those high scores are somehow combined through the mystery formulas, I bet that schizoid personality disorder would be the result. I think I scored high for schizophrenia based on the negative symptoms being similar to ASD traits and behaviors. When the results come back, the psych also read me a written description of my personality. It was something like "you are blunt and shy and socially inept blah blah blah", but you have a normal healthy ego and no significant psychopathology besides the high score for SPD indicative of AS in a person in whom AS was already suspected. If AS had not been suspected, then maybe the psych would have gone with a SPD diagnosis instead.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I took an online version before I ever took the paper version, and from the more raw data online, my top score was schizophrenia and my second score was introversion. When those high scores are somehow combined through the mystery formulas, I bet that schizoid personality disorder would be the result. I think I scored high for schizophrenia based on the negative symptoms being similar to ASD traits and behaviors. When the results come back, the psych also read me a written description of my personality. It was something like "you are blunt and shy and socially inept blah blah blah", but you have a normal healthy ego and no significant psychopathology besides the high score for SPD indicative of AS in a person in whom AS was already suspected. If AS had not been suspected, then maybe the psych would have gone with a SPD diagnosis instead.

Interesting, I wonder what my psych will do with this >< seems like there would be so many possible assumptions to be created..hopefully he wont jump to conclusions.
I am being tested for AS, hopefully he knows those scores could be higher but I will bring it up if he starts calling me a raving lunatic.

On the scales profile chart I got high on introversion, negative emotion, and 3rd highest was psychoticism.

I was reading online that this is used as a test to get into law enforcement a lot of the time? seems like a dumb test for that imo....

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

The test is outmoded and not particularly useful, but it's still used. My score basically said that I'm an extremely introverted, eccentric person who doesn't fit into gender boxes very well. But I knew that already.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2011, 3:06 am

That's the test my psychologist used to decide I was Schizotypal. I scored highest on Authority Problems (T 84), followed by Antisocial Behavior (T 81), Introversion (T 79), Self-Doubt (T 75), Low Positive Emotions (T 74), Social Discomfort (T 72), and continuing on from there.

Some of the things that they mark you on seem pretty ridiculous. If smells or sounds bother you or you think faster than you speak, that's labeled "Deviant Thinking and Experiences" and fits in with "Paranoia, Subtle." If you've ever gotten a speeding ticket or been sent to the principal's office and are honest about it, look out because you're displaying an "Antisocial Attitude." If you argue your point when you are right, regardless of the status of the person who's wrong and don't blindly follow what others do, you have "Authority Problems." Of course, if you do not feel elated for no reason on a regular basis, you have "Low Positive Emotions." I did not read a single question about emotional neutrality (why always happy/ sad/ angry?). The test seems outdated.

As an aside, I had a huge problem when the therapist suggested I was Schizotypal (must be my Authority Problems showing :lol: ) because it does not fit me at all, practically speaking. Not wanting to be in a crowd of people doesn't mean I "want to be a mountain man." [Yes, that was the suggestion!] I have pleasant, daily contact with many people. I'm just much more comfortable online or on the phone, as opposed to having someone stand there waiting while I try to think of appropriate things to say to them that aren't about anything I'm particularly interested in. Also, I am involved in several diverse groups, either as an attendee, or as a council member. I'm pretty sure that doesn't really fit into the paranoid, delusional mountain man niche.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 7:58 am

Seems to me like you're a garden-variety introvert. No need to put any sort of label on that! Well, besides "introverted".

The "schizophrenia" scale on the MMPI measures eccentricity, but it actually doesn't have that much to do with schizophrenia. People with schizophrenia score high, but so do many other people who don't have schizophrenia. It's kind of the way almost all cats have fur, but that doesn't mean you can assume an animal is a cat if it has fur. There are many other animals that also have fur. :)

I probably scored high on the schizophrenia scale because I don't really absorb social norms very well, so I'm eccentric.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 12:41 pm

The one I scored the absolute highest on was paranoia. On the chart it was almost on the top of the chart. How shocking. I know I answered inconsistently on the test. I am not typically good on these things. Some of them I had no opinion so when they asked again I didn't remember the first time I answered a similar question because of the lack of opinion or it didn't affect me in any way I answered differently. Also some of my answers didn't make sense I I realized it afterwards. Like for example they asked (I took the online one) "I am always tired." I answered true on it. But a few questions later is that "Sometimes do you stay awake days at a time." I answered true to that as well. That would either count as a lie or an inconsistency. I did that throughout the test without realizing it. But both do apply to me though. I am always tired and sometimes I do stay awake for days at a time. How can you tell what is normal on the test? What I mean by that is where is the normal range? Is it the green lines on the chart and if you score within that then its normal and everything above that is not and below the line is below normal? I am talking the online test once again. I also had too many symptoms because I answered true to a lot of the physical symptoms as well. I had conversion disorder at one point. I had fainting and seizures. I don't anymore but I still answered true because the question involved the word "have you ever had....." I also had jerking movements on and off my entire life. The test took me an hour! The test even said I had some anti social symptoms but just 2 and the so called "bad behavior in schools" was just me reacting severely to bullying by yelling and crying and getting angry. Yes, I did get suspended for this so called "bad behavior" but it wasn't my fault because if I wasn't bullied then I wouldn't do that.

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm

When you look at your results, find the "T-scores." 50 means average, but a range of 40-60 in any given area is "normal range." scores typically fall on a bell curve for a given population, so the 50 represents the median score. If you have a T-score of 30 in schizo- or an 80 in paranoia, that would be far outside the norm. I hope that helps!

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

I think I scored a 114 in paranoia. Thanks for the help that is what I figured.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

I don't really place much importance on such tests. They don't take into account that people might just have a different way of viewing the world, and who has the right to say that means they are 'paranoid' or 'psychopathic deviate'. It is ridiculous, the more you analyse and consider it. I bet you, taking this test, 99% of the population would score high on one category or another.