Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 8:30 am

Unfourtnatly as a consequence of my aspergers i have gotten into physical fights becuase of my short temper. Even when i say too myself i will turn the other cheek and walk away in the heat of the moment that can be very difficult. i have got into loads of fights with my brother becuase of my temper.

I got into one horrific situation 7 years ago in school (i was 14 at the time) when this 16 year old tripped me up out of hte blue becuase i used to walk on tip toes. I lashed out and kicked the 16 year old calling him a "Dickhead" resulting in me sustaining a bad beating where the 16 year old gave me a concussion to the head.

In a way is autism/aspergers linked to violence?

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2011, 8:39 am

Autists can be very impulsive sometimes. This is related to sensory issues I believe.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 8:43 am

What are sensory issues?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

Jamesy wrote:
Unfourtnatly as a consequence of my aspergers i have gotten into physical fights becuase of my short temper. Even when i say too myself i will turn the other cheek and walk away in the heat of the moment that can be very difficult. i have got into loads of fights with my brother becuase of my temper.

I got into one horrific situation 7 years ago in school (i was 14 at the time) when this 16 year old tripped me up out of hte blue becuase i used to walk on tip toes. I lashed out and kicked the 16 year old calling him a "Dickhead" resulting in me sustaining a bad beating where the 16 year old gave me a concussion to the head.

You're still worrying over something that happened 7 years ago?

When is the last time you got into an actual fight with someone (not your brother - your family seems to like aggression)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 8:53 am

i haven't got into fight with someone outside the family since the school incident.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

22 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

Jamesy wrote:

Being human is linked to violence.

Now if reacting to teasing/bullying which leads to violence is pretty normal, and aspies tend to get teased/bullied more often than others, then you could say autism/aspergers is linked to violence. Not always, though... it seems more often the case aspies give in but maybe most people do that, anyways?

Last edited by swbluto on 22 Jun 2011, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

^this^

I really wish people would stop equating everything to aspergers.

"Do aspies like to breathe?"

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:15 am

Its hard as well when my brother has very violent tendancies. My bro is a bit of a vinnie jones wannabe.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

and is he an aspie?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:22 am

No he is not

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

Jamesy wrote:

Bad tempers exist in every group.

ruveyn

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:41 am

my bad temper is getting me in a lot of trouble.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

Jamesy wrote:
i haven't got into fight with someone outside the family since the school incident.

Maybe you are worrying about the wrong thing. If physical aggression is almost entirely limited to your family, it seems logical that it is not an Asperger's issue, but a dysfunctional family at work.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

bad temper and agression are indeed just human; although AS might make you more prone to 'exploding' without a discernable reason.
the AS in you should have only affected you in the severety of the reaction; the 'choise' to become violent has nothing to do with and ASD...

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

I really don't like any form of physical fight, still I can't say I'm totally free of it in real life for the very reason you described in this tread. I believe this is a kind of meltdownish behavior, and as such, it is very hard to control. Last time I have frightened a bus driver showing I was willing to hit him (which I wouldn't have done anyway due to my upbringing, call me coward) happened because he had pushed over my co-cyclist with the bus. However, I'm not proud of it, and I'll continue to find ways to weed it out of my behavior.

One way to do it is to think no one is perfect, and when you say or do stuff that is considered nasty or violent, you only support the prevalence of such abusive activities. People will become more and more frustrated and in turn you will get it back on the long run. Idealistic but might work.

(this is not a characteristic of my family, afaik)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:52 am

OJani wrote:
Last time I have frightened a bus driver showing I was willing to hit him (which I wouldn't have done anyway due to my upbringing, call me coward) happened because he had pushed over my co-cyclist with the bus.

Wah? The bus driver knocked a cyclist down? I think just about anyone would have reacted with great intensity to this.