Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

shadowchyld wrote:
I just got myself Netflix for my birthday LOL Bored at work. Any must see instant streaming movies that anyone can recommend?

The Man from Earth is first id recommend.

Netflix has many tv series that were not aired on US tv (or were but on premium cable networks). Pillars of the Earth is an excellent series.

The Colour of Magic (british comedy.. cant beat that!)

You can also look into oldie movies.. The Gods must be Crazy you really need to watch.

Foreign Movies section is also full of amazing films.
Iphigenia is a great movie if you're into historical drama.
The Price of Milk is an awesome New Zealand movie..half comedy half love story/drama.
...and many others.

You also have access to National Geographic and Nova documentaries. I spend hours watching those. Collapse is the last one I watched and its quite impressive.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Alright, I finally got streaming up and working on my computer. It works fine except that it can get sluggish when it first starts. I have to pause it, wait a few seconds, then start it again. I thought it was because my connection wasn’t fast enough, but then I pulled up the task manager and saw that Firefox was using all the memory, and I remembered how old and outdated my computer is. It’s only got 512 MB of RAM, and I guess that's just barely enough for the streaming program to work. I guess I'll be sticking to YouTube for watching public domain movies and the Sherlock Holmes episodes with Jeremy Brett since YT runs much better.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

Netflix uses MS Silverlight. The Flash software used by youtube uses more memory than silverlight does.

you can also download google chrome and use it to watch netflix. Chrome has a very small memory footprint compared to IE and firefox.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Weird. I downloaded Silverlight but it runs more sluggish than YouTube. The difference is negligible, though. The sluggishness is slight and only occurs on startup.

This streaming is gonna get me in trouble. As if I didn't spend enough time online as it is.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:14 pm

I find that internet explorer works better with netflix than either of the two browsers.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

I stopped using IE a long time ago. No matter what version I download, it freezes every time I use it. Firefox works best for me.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

Dantac wrote:
Netflix uses MS Silverlight. The Flash software used by youtube uses more memory than silverlight does.

you can also download google chrome and use it to watch netflix. Chrome has a very small memory footprint compared to IE and firefox.

I downloaded Chrome and now Netflix runs smooth as a baby's ass. Thanks for the tip.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

shadowchyld wrote:
I just got myself Netflix for my birthday LOL Bored at work. Any must see instant streaming movies that anyone can recommend?

Searching for Bobby Fischer
Cry, the Beloved Country
City of Joy

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

Many of the Star Trek series are now available to instant watch.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

thewrll wrote:

OMG! seriously? I am not leaving my room for days then lol...

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 7:23 pm

Recently, I've watched two oldies (well..relatively speaking) on Netflix....Network and Robocop. Would recommend both.

I also have the streaming plus one dvd plan.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

Yesterday a bunch of marvel animated shows became available. I started watching the 90s X Men series.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

pree10shun wrote:
thewrll wrote:

OMG! seriously? I am not leaving my room for days then lol...

Yup!! ! I just saw it today. They have the entire series for Enterprise (HD), TOS (HD), TNG and Voyager! It's only a matter of time before Deep Space Nine is added! I hope they make TNG, Voyager and DS9 HD streams too. Netflix is going to make a ton of money from subs. I have a SONY Network Media Streaming device so now I can instantly watch my favorite episodes on my television. They are now officially the coolest service EVER!

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm

for the TV stuff can you get episodes much older than the most recently aired or currently airing season?

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

if you like TV series your all set.

Monk, the Office, Parks and Recreation, Stargate Sg-1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate universe,