Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 12:37 am

Bun wrote:
^ I'm similar with characters I make up, though it's more like the character becomes a part of me...

Someone on another mental health forum I frequent said something along the lines of that "there is no such thing as an imaginary friend who does not represent some part of you". I believe this and I am trying to figure out what aspects of my personality cause me to develop emotional bonds with certain types of fictional characters.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 7:26 am

I generally don't "feel" in many cases too. I remember one lady who I knew through another person's anime club(it was her aunt or something) was telling me that her husband died or something and she was crying and hugged me and I didn't know what to feel. I tried to be encouraging though.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2016, 1:26 pm

I feel emotionally involved with certain characters in books and movies simply because I see them as extensions of myself, so in effect my emotions are self centred. I feel nothing for other people because they obviously aren't extensions of myself, their problems mean absolutely nothing to me.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 10:57 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I empathize with fictional characters so much that I've taken on my favorites as imaginary friends. My mom told me that I do this because fictional characters can't hurt me the way real people can. I think it's also an issue of control since I find that I become frustrated when the people in my life don't act the way I expect them to.

I think this very well describes me too. I've done the same thing and my favorite fictional characters are my best friends.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 11:10 am

I feel sympathy for Scott, while others on the show, as well as just other viewers in general, view him as a sociopath.

Nothing's wrong with me, I just feel really drawn to his character. He's just an interesting one to theorize about.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 11:49 am

This is me too. I think it's because you get to know the inner workings of a fictional character more than you do with a real character. I find it very comforting to find a character I identify with, because it shows I'm not alone; not just because the character exists, but because the person who created them (a real person) must also have similar experiences to me.