Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 9:38 pm

Breaking up with my boyfriend today. I don't know how this will work out, but I'll give updates.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

Okay... Just talked to him. We were together for seven months. I have mixed feelings right now.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

Seven months! You have me beat by about... six months.

I never know what to say in situations like this. I'd rather just sit and hang out with someone instead of throwing them the "oh, sorry to hear that" phony sympathy, but that's quite impossible over the internet.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

If you don't mind discussing it, why are you breaking up with your boyfriend?

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm

Descartes wrote:
If you don't mind discussing it, why are you breaking up with your boyfriend?

Well... He had actually broken up with me last week, but we agreed to give ourselves some time to be apart and think about how we felt first.

Then after I took some time to think about it, I realkized that he had already said it was over and what the hell am sitting around waiting for? I should just tell him I want to end it too. I mean, I don't want to run the risk of being with someone who is not into it.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

Breaking up is never pleasant.

But breaking up will arm you with new skills. It is an unusual couple who enter into their first relationships with each other, and remain together for life. Most of us go through a few relationships, of varying duration and intensity. During that time we learn (hopefully) the skills that will allow us to maintain a strong, ongoing relationship. We learn what we are willing to compromise, both in our expectations of our partners, and in what will are willing to give.

I hope that those mixed feelings will eventually resolve themselves into lasting affection (remaining friends with ex boyfriends can be a valuable asset), and a newfound resolve to try again.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Breaking up is never pleasant.

But breaking up will arm you with new skills. It is an unusual couple who enter into their first relationships with each other, and remain together for life. Most of us go through a few relationships, of varying duration and intensity. During that time we learn (hopefully) the skills that will allow us to maintain a strong, ongoing relationship. We learn what we are willing to compromise, both in our expectations of our partners, and in what will are willing to give.

I hope that those mixed feelings will eventually resolve themselves into lasting affection (remaining friends with ex boyfriends can be a valuable asset), and a newfound resolve to try again.

Thank you, very nice comments and wise advice.