Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:32 am

Sure, it probably won't fix anything, but am I the only one who sees the idiocy in the people with AS who make generalizations about NTs? Aren't these the same people who whine about NTs making generalizations about them?
"I hate NTs; none of them understand or want to understand AS."
"NTs just party all the time; they're so stupid."
"NTs don't have a clue how lucky they are."
"Why are NTs obsessed with drugs and alcohol?"
etc. etc.

Now, how do those people feel when they hear...
"People with ASDs don't have feelings."
"All people with ASDs are like Rain Man."
"ASD people all like math, right?"
"Autism? Are you ret*d?"

They're totally different generalizations from each other, but they are still that: generalizations. And they all have one ore thing in common: they're incorrect. I understand that some of you have experienced "abuse"/"neglect" from neurotypicals, but people with ASDs aren't all little angels, either. Think of, for instance, that imbecilic LulzSec guy, or John Odgren. Then the many people on this site who have an ASD and have been banned for spewing hateful remarks. I know several other people with AS in real life who are complete and utter tools, and I'm certain there have been a share of people with an ASD who abuse others. NTs aren't always the bad guy.

I could go on, but I feel like I've covered enough.
It's just irritating.
You'd think that more people on here would see the "hypocrisy" (for lack of a better word), but I guess not.
It makes you seem just as ignorant (if not more) when you make a generalization about people who generalize about you. :roll:

Last edited by jmnixon95 on 28 Jun 2011, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:36 am

And they say aspies are unable to generalize or have trouble with it but I see it here all the time. Perhaps those members have that ability to generalize?

I have pointed this out too in the past and the answers I have gotten was more NTs bully and more of us have suffered than them. But I hate that attitude. hate it. It's like "I am more disabled than you" attitude so they feel entitled to bash NTs and they are not allowed to bash us. Not fair at all and it's a double standard. I can't take it seriously when aspies get upset with aspie bashing when I continue seeing NT bashing here.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:38 am

Well I've not made any of the generalization you have listed, to my knowledge, though I do believe that, in general, people with AS have a more accurate perception of NT's than NT's do of people with AS because most NT's have not met someone with AS, or at least had known they had AS, and most people with AS live adrift in a sea of NT's.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 8:31 am

My personal opinion is that Aspies and NT's may experience the world differently, but we are all fundamentally the same. We're just coming from 2 different worlds, with good and bad in both.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

I agree, generalizing NT's is just as pointless as NT's thinking we're all like rain man. The one thing I can be sure of, is that humanity in general is quite stupid.