Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

Every time one of my parents put something of mine away, I cannot, for the life of me, find it. I have literally torn the house apart looking for something that my parents put away. then when they come home, I ask where it is, and it's in a place that I never thought it would be. To them, it seems like a good place to put it, but to me, my parents put it in a really weird place. In fact, I cannot think of one time, where my parents put somewhere, and it was where I thought it was. For example, they put my camera away, I thought it would be in the cupboard where we keep the cameras, and it's not there.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

I don't think it is a thing that NT's do in particular but I have noticed that many people are happy just to put things away anywhere out of sight without any system.

I find it very upsetting to discover somebody has misplaced an item of mine. I usually know exactly where every item is, even if I haven't used or thought of them in years. I even remember the locations of most of my partners things as she loses stuff all the time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

I don't think it's an NT or Aspie thing. It's just something annoying about parents.

My mum always used to dump my schoolbag on my bedroom floor, then complain that my room is messy before I even gone up there!

Ajenjonadita
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

My mom do the same...
I have a little white bear until I have 12 years old, I love that bear... and I "lost" him in september 2010... Im still sad for that and I look for him everywhere....
I dont know why parents do that, its very annoying :(
Now I dont live in my mom's home, I have more peace for that... maybe we never know how the people do that horrible things... :cry:

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Every time one of my parents put something of mine away, I cannot, for the life of me, find it. I have literally torn the house apart looking for something that my parents put away. then when they come home, I ask where it is, and it's in a place that I never thought it would be. To them, it seems like a good place to put it, but to me, my parents put it in a really weird place. In fact, I cannot think of one time, where my parents put somewhere, and it was where I thought it was. For example, they put my camera away, I thought it would be in the cupboard where we keep the cameras, and it's not there.

I have the same problem w/my husband. Thats why I try not to touch his stuff. The thing is he left his stuff everywhere and has a lot of it. When I ask him to clean up he never has time. If I offer to help him do it he starts and then does not want to continue because he is tired, there is too much dust, it is too hot, or any other lame excuse. When I get fed up and do it myself, then he gets mad because he cannot find anything. But sometimes he cannot find them even if he puts them away.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

28 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

Nothing unnerves me more when someone goes into my personal area and says they took something and "put it away" because that supposedly helps me be more "organized". What? IT was put away where I can't find it? Thanks!

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

Oh dear lord, I learned at a very young age to NEVER let my mother clean my room, I usually did (or didn't) it most of the time because SOMETHING would go missing even though she says she put it in an easy to find place and I either find it like a week later or not at all. >_<

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 4:35 am

I have a knife block with 6 knifes in it. When my husband empties the dishwasher, he just puts all the sharp knifes together in the cutlery drawer. He doesn't seem to distinguish between the ones that go in the block and the others.

He also has a really infuriating way of putting the largest amount possible into the smallest space imaginable. He's apparently NT, but this is definitely not a common NT skill. He can look at a pile of food containers and immediately know how to arrange them to fit neatly into a tight space in a cupboard. It seems great, but if I need to get at something which isn't on the top, it's near impossible to get at it without a catastrophic collapse of everything in the cupboard. However, it's a great skill to have for when we need to pack the car for our self-catering holiday, in a couple of weeks.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2011, 5:01 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I have a knife block with 6 knifes in it. When my husband empties the dishwasher, he just puts all the sharp knifes together in the cutlery drawer. He doesn't seem to distinguish between the ones that go in the block and the others.

He also has a really infuriating way of putting the largest amount possible into the smallest space imaginable. He's apparently NT, but this is definitely not a common NT skill. He can look at a pile of food containers and immediately know how to arrange them to fit neatly into a tight space in a cupboard. It seems great, but if I need to get at something which isn't on the top, it's near impossible to get at it without a catastrophic collapse of everything in the cupboard. However, it's a great skill to have for when we need to pack the car for our self-catering holiday, in a couple of weeks.
Is your husband left handed?
Us lefties have a much greater spatial awareness. I too can pack twice as much into the same space as my wife, or anyone else for that matter. I do tend to group it in Infuriatingly logical order (according to my wife anyway) With food I tend to group tins in order starting with size content expiry dates, frequency of use, label shape (sadly quite a few manufacturers of labelled goods use black writing on red or green labels, or visa-versa and as I am colour blind I cannot see the contents of the tins that are on the shelves, without taking them down and reading the listed ingredients.) I also sort by texture, rice and polenta will be stored near each other, noodles and pasta also unless it is coloured, then they go in a space of their own.
I drive my family insane when packing the freezer, but without my orderliness we’d need another freezer and twice as much cupboard space.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

why put sharp knives in the dish-washer anyway? does it not Dull the edge making them less shape and harder (and less safe) to use. I wash my sharp knives by hand, and put them away myself as they are quite shape (as in sharper than a razor blade) and if you don't handle them with care, they will cut you and deeply.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 5:13 am

Tadpole wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

Is your husband left handed?Us lefties have a much greater spatial awareness. I too can pack twice as much into the same space as my wife, or anyone else for that matter. I do tend to group it in Infuriatingly logical order (according to my wife anyway) With food I tend to group tins in order starting with size content expiry dates, frequency of use, label shape (sadly quite a few manufacturers of labelled goods use black writing on red or green labels, or visa-versa and as I am colour blind I cannot see the contents of the tins that are on the shelves, without taking them down and reading the listed ingredients.) I also sort by texture, rice and polenta will be stored near each other, noodles and pasta also unless it is coloured, then they go in a space of their own.
I drive my family insane when packing the freezer, but without my orderliness we’d need another freezer and twice as much cupboard space.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

why put sharp knives in the dish-washer anyway? does it not Dull the edge making them less shape and harder (and less safe) to use. I wash my sharp knives by hand, and put them away myself as they are quite shape (as in sharper than a razor blade) and if you don't handle them with care, they will cut you and deeply.

He's right handed, but does claim to be slightly ambidextrous. You sound like a combination of me and my husband - he packs things into small spaces and I like to group food products in a more logical fashion.

We've been washing the knives that way for 17 years and they're still as new.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2011, 5:27 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
We've been washing the knives that way for 17 years and they're still as new.
I will admit that until I learnt to sharpen my knives, I was the same, but now I can notice if my wife has used my knife on the plastic chopping board(plastic is really bad news ) , as the edge of the knife is uneven and they do not glide over the food and it takes twice as much effort to cut anything.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 8:56 am

My mom does. Whenever she puts something away, I can never find it. It's bad enough when she does it in the kitchen, in the bathroom, or anywhere else, but in my room! I have to spend almost an entire day re organizing the place, and putting everything where it belongs. My hairbrush, my books, my pillows, my cushions, scrappaper, everything.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 10:12 am

Everybody puts stuff away differently. There aren't two categories that people fit into. There are 6 billion. It becomes an issue when you live with somebody- and must find a mutual system or at least learn each others' systems- and when you share a workspace.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

Janissy wrote:
Everybody puts stuff away differently. There aren't two categories that people fit into. There are 6 billion. It becomes an issue when you live with somebody- and must find a mutual system or at least learn each others' systems- and when you share a workspace.

Well, me and dad both complain about mom putting our papers in this thingy by the computer. She has been doing for 15 years and neither of us have caught on, yet.