Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

In some cultures the public ownership and beautification of walls etc is normal and not done secretively in the dark of night, I would like to see that around me and less corporate propaganda which I find more demeaning of society.

peace j

This I would be okay with. My main gripe is the fact that graffiti is illegal because public ownership here = government property. There is no distinction. One should be made, though.

I'm not quite sure I follow you?

Are you saying you can accept graffiti on government owned structures if it is public art or that as government property is still owned by someone and ergo graffiti bad?

peace j

Neither. I'm saying there should be a difference between public property and government property. Public property should be communal. In some areas, this actually is the case. Big cities like where I live? Not so much.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

In some cultures the public ownership and beautification of walls etc is normal and not done secretively in the dark of night, I would like to see that around me and less corporate propaganda which I find more demeaning of society.

peace j

This I would be okay with. My main gripe is the fact that graffiti is illegal because public ownership here = government property. There is no distinction. One should be made, though.

I'm not quite sure I follow you?

Are you saying you can accept graffiti on government owned structures if it is public art or that as government property is still owned by someone and ergo graffiti bad?

peace j

Neither. I'm saying there should be a difference between public property and government property. Public property should be communal. In some areas, this actually is the case. Big cities like where I live? Not so much.

To my mind an odd distinction. The government here is seen as little more than the agency of the people and therefore all it's property is by default public property, though I would extend some corporate onwed walls that abut and dominate public spaces to be defacto public property.

I think we just see things differently - all good we aren't sharing the same neighbourhood :wink:

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:

To my mind an odd distinction. The government here is seen as little more than the agency of the people and therefore all it's property is by default public property, though I would extend some corporate onwed walls that abut and dominate public spaces to be defacto public property.

I think we just see things differently - all good we aren't sharing the same neighbourhood :wink:

peace j

The US government has too much power. :evil:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm

ok, first here is some graffiti from an abandoned army base near my house:

and my favourite piece, which was just a bit that someone scrawled on a pillar downtown. so sad and sweet. it says:

so much
to
hold

this
heart is
overflowing

this world
does not give us
large enough
hands

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Jul 2011, 4:05 am

hyperlexian wrote:
and my favourite piece, which was just a bit that someone scrawled on a pillar downtown. so sad and sweet. it says:

so much
to
hold

this
heart is
overflowing

this world
does not give us
large enough
hands

That's really nice, and improves the pillar it's on.