Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

One of my colleagues got fired today.

Not the one i've mentioned before - this one was more on the ADHD side of aspergers, though with some marked aspie tendencies.

He'd been on thin ice for a few weeks now following some serious missteps, like hiding in his hotel room to play video games instead of making himself useful at a recent conference we hosted.

He'd managed to get into an acrimonious relationship with someone who outranks him by a lot, and his direct managers had made it perfectly clear to him that he needs to cool his jets, be more professional, and stop agitating his superiors. And specifically not to contact that particular superior regarding their recent misunderstandings - to just plain cool it.

So today he sent a Strongly Worded Email precisely to the person he'd been told not to agitate, and got fired for it.

There was a lot of shouting and stomping around and a general aspie meltdown, followed a couple hours after his departure by everyone in the office getting spammed with the same email that got him fired.

The thing is, he has a wife, and kids, who now have to worry about where he's going to find another job in this economy. I could punch him in the gut for it.

Be professional. Be rational. Be conciliatory. Keep your job. Learn to bite your tongue and wait until you cool off before reacting.

Especially if people are depending on you.

utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

Words to live by in any job. I'd hold the guys arms for you

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

He sounds exactly like the type of person that should be fired.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

Chronos wrote:
He sounds exactly like the type of person that should be fired.

Yeah. He's the poster guy for how not to keep a job.

But it's still upsetting.

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2011, 10:10 am

It is upsetting, there is only so much one can do to help someone who won't even help themselves :(

The workplace is no place for emotions of any kind. I got into alot of trouble at my old workplace for gossiping. Now I try not to verbalise anything not work related, because I just can't tell how people will take it.

The trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

Wow! something to keep in mind as I make the venture into the work force.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I could punch him in the gut for it.

I understand your feelings, but frankly, I'm not surprised he did what he did.

I know how much I've obsessed over things that have gone wrong, and how many times it made me do something "less wise" in how I handled things afterward.

When you obsess, you don't look at anything but your obsession. No good judgment is likely to come from that. :(