Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

People generally need to stop trying to force their beliefs on one another.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Civilized discussion is needed in this topic. But Civilized discussion is hardly "letting go of differences". It is... discussion.

Quite.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2011, 7:30 am

I am a freethinker. I will respect the religions of my family members, friends and colleagues. All I ask is that they don't pressure me to convert to their religion.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

Fnord wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Remove the tax-exempt status from all religions; remove all faith-based teaching from secular schools; and remove all Atheists from Munchkinland in Oz.

Religions cannot be taxed or exempted. religious organizations can be and are.

REMOVE faith based teaching? In New Haven in the 50s there was no faith-based teaching in the public schools [and little or none visible in Episcopal Sunday School - and none at home].

Surely you meant to say MOVE all atheists TO Munchkinland?

I will type slowly so that you can follow along...

Religions own the tax-exempt properties. Taxing the properties would mean taxing the religions.

Removal of faith-based teaching in one obscure corner of the plante does not remove it everywhere.

Since neither Munchkinland or Oz exists, there can be no Atheists in those places. Stop trying to change what I say to support your ego.

PLIZZ to read it the Anglic. Religions do NOT own any thing. What does Communism, or Atheism, or patriotism, or science, or even idiocy own? An ideology, a set of practices, a mindset does not own property. A religious organization - which is NOT a religion [that last ids three syllables and may be beyond you - may own property.

Before you claim I am twisting your words learn to read. It helps if you take the blinkers off and stop talking long enough to listen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

The_Walrus wrote:
People generally need to stop trying to force their beliefs on one another.

Are you willing to fight people who -do- force their beliefs on others? If so, you are willing to use force to enforce the belief " People generally need to stop trying to force their beliefs on one another "

ruveyn

bron020
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

I don't think atheist or religious people can agree on many of the core principles that the bible teaches. But i think there is always room for agreement on the need for better and more prosperous human life. Personally I am more of a Spiritualist than religious or atheist

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

bron020 wrote:
I don't think atheist or religious people can agree on many of the core principles that the bible teaches. But i think there is always room for agreement on the need for better and more prosperous human life. Personally I am more of a Spiritualist than religious or atheist

There MIGHT be room for agreement IF there were a shared understanding of what is "better" and what it means to me "more prosperous"

Given that not even Herself and I totally concur on those definitions. Given that one of the more common and heavier differences between theist and atheist IS the definition of "good" and the deomain of "prosperity", I see little room for optimism. First try to get a Baptist and a Sufi, or a genuine scientist who happens to be atheist and an atheist Marine to agree on "good" and "prosperous".

I'm not hollding my breath.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
I just wish that both sides were more civil about it.

This.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

People generally need to learn that people will disagree with their beliefs and if they can't stand their stuff getting constantly challenged and would rather expect people not to 'force' their beliefs on them, then maybe they don't really have such "powerful" beliefs as they claim.