Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:50 am

John_Browning wrote:
So the video is just some stereotypical grouchy/humorless old lesbian ranting about old historical injustices and comparing it to the 4th of July?

That is a bit rough. I think it is supposed to be in the same vein as the speech by Frederick Douglass; 'What to the slave, is the Fourth of July?'. Douglass's speech is one of my favorite moments of oratory. There are things I agree with these women on, access to cancer screenings etc. Though, obviously, I do support defunding abortion.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:18 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
TLC_nd wrote:

Why post this garbage, We are more pissed than what these women are stating, or is it an empirical statement.

I didn't realize I had to be 100% behind everything I posted. I found the perspective in the video interesting and wanted to see what the PPR people thought of it.

Garbage, eh? Thanks for your input. :)

As one who keeps trying to do just that - and who has appreciated your posting style - right on.

Thoughts -

Rome was not built in a day. Progress always has been / has to be a piecemeal thing - and rather a drunkard's walk.

It might be worth noting that at the time the Declaration of Independence was composed, the States were by no means United, nor were they even close to independent, and I suspect only a minority actually wanted independence.

No society can survive treating people identically [what I suffered in a school system designed by Socializers]; Some do better at treating them equitably. No society is ever going to give each what he wants - but we can try tpo work at it.

I do not understand boycotting a holidaty either [though there are some I ignore]. But then I am notoriously ill-equipped to understand and value any symbolic actions.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

John_Browning wrote:
So the video is just some stereotypical grouchy/humorless old lesbian ranting about old historical injustices and comparing it to the 4th of July?

So a woman has to be a humorless and grouchy lesbian to be concerned about women's rights?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

Philologos wrote:

As one who keeps trying to do just that - and who has appreciated your posting style - right on.

Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated.

Quote:
Thoughts -

Rome was not built in a day. Progress always has been / has to be a piecemeal thing - and rather a drunkard's walk.

It might be worth noting that at the time the Declaration of Independence was composed, the States were by no means United, nor were they even close to independent, and I suspect only a minority actually wanted independence.

No society can survive treating people identically [what I suffered in a school system designed by Socializers]; Some do better at treating them equitably. No society is ever going to give each what he wants - but we can try tpo work at it.

There's a difference between being treated as an equal and treated identically, no?

Quote:
I do not understand boycotting a holidaty either [though there are some I ignore]. But then I am notoriously ill-equipped to understand and value any symbolic actions.

I'm not big on celebrating holidays myself. I prefer to observe. It's much more meaningful, I think.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

There's a difference between being treated as an equal and treated identically, no?

Ah - so very. My dear mama, who meant it for the best, was a Socializer and the daughrer of a Socializer. We were treated as evenhandedly as could be [and heaven hel;p you if you criticized her approach. If one of the girls got a plaid skirt at Christmas, my other sister got an identical plaid skirt, and I got a shirt of the same plaid.

I never got to equal status. I THINK one of my brothers made it - he's the one won't talk to me.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Let us be patriotic.

I like your founding fathers, I don't like your Americans.

[img][800:288]http://www.apenotmonkey.com/comics/2011-07-01-Independence-Day-Left-Out.jpg[/img]

[img][800:286]http://www.apenotmonkey.com/comics/2011-07-04-Secular-Founding-Fathers.jpg[/img]

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

Too dry in Texas to celebrate the 4th with fireworks. If AGW is accurate, in about 50 years this record drought will be the new normal and they won't see many fireworks shows at all. Ironic that this flag waving, anti-environmental, freedom loving state is scr*wing itself out of the 4th of July.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:11 pm

Philologos wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Ah - so very. My dear mama, who meant it for the best, was a Socializer and the daughrer of a Socializer. We were treated as evenhandedly as could be [and heaven hel;p you if you criticized her approach. If one of the girls got a plaid skirt at Christmas, my other sister got an identical plaid skirt, and I got a shirt of the same plaid.

I never got to equal status. I THINK one of my brothers made it - he's the one won't talk to me.

My mom did crap like that, too. It leaves no room for individuality. :eew: