Who else is interested in mysterious disappearances?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:31 pm

I certainly am - I sometimes think it would be cool to be a detective. I think a signifcant number of disappearances are actually suicides, sometimes they give no outward indication that they are contemplating it so people erroneously rule it out...

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about the Anasazi.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:04 pm

Dear Aimless, Did you know that it is widely believed that the Anasazi were cannibals? Sylkat 8O

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Dear Aimless, Did you know that it is widely believed that the Anasazi were cannibals? Sylkat 8O

Really? That puts an interesting perspective on things. :)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Sep 2011, 7:44 pm

most people that disappear, I tend to think they have been sold into human trafficing

but I have a morbid interest in spontanious human combustion

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2011, 8:15 pm

Yes, I am interested mysterious disappearances---both of people and things. For example, in 1933 the Revere Beach (Massachusetts) Lightning roller coaster (designed and built by Harry Traver in 1927) was dismantled and crated to be shipped to a park in the southern US. The records of this have been lost---and one thing is for certain, it did not arrive at its intended destination. To this day, it remains possibly the largest (250 tons of prefabricated steel and wood) item to be lost in the mail. Some say it was melted down for use as artillery by the military. Who knows.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

Dear Glider18, Brilliant of you to bringing up missing 'things' as well as people; 2 of my favorite missing treasures from history: at the end of the American Civil War,the Danville Train, carrying thousands $, the last of the Confederate Treasury; no one knows where the money went. And the incomparably beautiful Amber Room; is it hidden, broken to bits for jewelry, or did the Nazis get it and sell it to finance their war? Thank you so much for that roller coaster incident...I'd never heard of it! Sylkat. :P

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Dear Glider18, Brilliant of you to bringing up missing 'things' as well as people; 2 of my favorite missing treasures from history: at the end of the American Civil War,the Danville Train, carrying thousands $, the last of the Confederate Treasury; no one knows where the money went. And the incomparably beautiful Amber Room; is it hidden, broken to bits for jewelry, or did the Nazis get it and sell it to finance their war? Thank you so much for that roller coaster incident...I'd never heard of it! Sylkat. :P

I wasn't familiar with the Amber Room you mentioned. That is fascinating. Some dubbed it the 8th wonder of the world.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

I'm interested in them. I watch crime shows about them from time to time. I like a good mystery. :)

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

I find them interesting.

I maintain the idea I held as a child; some people disappear through foul play, some people disappear because they want to, and that others disappear because they think the wrong thought and slip into a different reality. Even in tragedy there can be a sense of wonder about the possibilities of existence, when people vanish without explanation it doesn't really matter what our theory may be on what happened to them, they no longer exist so whichever of the above their disappearance falls into it's all the same.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:45 am

Dear Glider18, Did you Google pictures of the Amber Room? Wasn't it breathtaking? Such a loss. Sylkat :cry:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:17 am

I frequently wonder if the simplest answer is the truth.....

Jimmy Hoffa knew he was going to be killed, (and probably slowly) by his criminal associates, so he went into Witness Protection.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:45 pm

I view unsolved disapperances as more interesting than unsolved murders.

It will be eight years this June since a boy from Oregon named Kyron Horman vanished without a trace.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

I remember that case...so very sad; he was disabled and the family seemed to have issues, to say the least.

Poor little guy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 10:55 pm

Bradford Bishop.

Lived less than 20 miles from me here in the suburbs of the US capital.

Was a high ranking guy in the State Dept. One day came home to his family at their big home in Potomac and murdered his whole family. Fled, and has never been seen again.

Years later an American tourist was using a urinal at a public place in Italy. Glanced at the guy using the urinal next to him, and then did a double take, and then the tourist said to the second guy "Hey! Arent you Bradford Bishop?". The other guy's face turned white, and he bolted out the door never to be seen again. That the last thing that even LOOKED like a lead.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:48 am

Wow!

Never heard of that case.....more, please