Page 16 of 18 [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm

I was never keen on driving (ironically when my unit restructed I ended up a river in transportation medium and large wheeled vehicles for 2/3 my army career...lel).

After the shock of loss of my way of life after a my serious accident accident with head injury, I am anxiety riddled.
Once I was recovered I had regressed back some out-trained behaviors and my facade of "NT" was forever gone. I lost 5 languages because the insurance claimed the others were "elective" so was unable to communicate with cherished older family the last years of their lives.
Tight quarters in fast moving hwy traffic terrifies me as well as anyone driving with a phone visible.

Driving is something I simply have to tolerate doing because there is no other way to survive in most of the US other than horrid metro areas.

Being a DH rider competing did gain my confidence back and I eventually could ride a motorcycle after that. But in the end, I do not love driving any more than I did when I got hardship permit at age 15

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2016, 6:34 am

So, I actually got a little 50cc scooter back in July, and I've been riding it a little bit, but I haven't taken it out onto any major streets until just a couple of weeks ago. And I gotta say, ironically, that I find it a lot more comfortable than driving a car. I did slide a little on some slush, but it wasn't too bad (just got a little raspberry from it on my right knee turning into a parking lot), but otherwise at least I'm getting more comfortable driving! 8)

-- Claude Debussy

hmds2007
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2016, 2:24 pm

I hate driving but I do drive. I drive pretty well. Not a scratch till date.

ninagrrl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2016, 4:37 pm

I have never had my license. I got my permit back when I was 17 and had awful experiences. My dad tried to teach me how he did my brothers, who both did fine; -one is aspie and other is NT (although I think he is a sociopath, but that's another story). I have driven a total of an hour spread over 4 different experiences and once rolled the back end of a three speed standard gmc Sierra 6 feet down an 8 foot ditch when it stalled. Since then, the closest I have come to driving is getting my permit (which has since expired) a second time at 34 and sit in the drivers seat. I finally don't have panic attacks but have yet to start the engine. I can't imagine actually driving and just considering the possibility is almost enough to trigger a meltdown. Honestly, it is the primary source of my low self esteem issues and I feel it is ruining my life to always depend on so many people to cart my ass around.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm

ninagrrl wrote:
I have never had my license. I got my permit back when I was 17 and had awful experiences. My dad tried to teach me how he did my brothers, who both did fine; -one is aspie and other is NT (although I think he is a sociopath, but that's another story). I have driven a total of an hour spread over 4 different experiences and once rolled the back end of a three speed standard gmc Sierra 6 feet down an 8 foot ditch when it stalled. Since then, the closest I have come to driving is getting my permit (which has since expired) a second time at 34 and sit in the drivers seat. I finally don't have panic attacks but have yet to start the engine. I can't imagine actually driving and just considering the possibility is almost enough to trigger a meltdown. Honestly, it is the primary source of my low self esteem issues and I feel it is ruining my life to always depend on so many people to cart my ass around.

Wow...I'm so sorry about all that. I've never had my license either, but I'm only 23, so I'm still fairly young for it. I hope it doesn't take too much longer. Have you ever tried switching to a different type of vehicle? For the longest time I rode my bike, and so naturally I switched to a scooter, and it feels a lot better than driving a car (the only thing that sucks is snow/ice).

-- Claude Debussy

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 11:30 am

no, but my car does.

just got off the phone. bad engine mounts, leaky valve gasket, bad brakes, worn brake pads, jumpy, lagging transmission, wonky temperature gauge...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
no, but my car does.

just got off the phone. bad engine mounts, leaky valve gasket, bad brakes, worn brake pads, jumpy, lagging transmission, wonky temperature gauge...

Let me guess, you drive a Ford! :skull:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 3:17 pm

1990 camry, actually. :skull:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

fourcandles
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm

I have poor reflexes so I never learned to drive. If self-driving cars ever actually happen, and I end up inexplicably rich, I'm getting myself a batmobile.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 1:07 pm

self driving cars seem like an awful lot of *no* fun. :(

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

I feel more or less comfortable driving a car, which is good since I tend to drive quite a bit. I've never been in any accidents and have never gotten so much as a ticket.

I honestly don't trust the concept of "self-driving cars", not even a little bit. I'd sooner try to drive with my feet than ride in a driverless car.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 1:23 pm

^same here. we tend to delve into and place our trust into new technologies really quickly i noticed. perhaps, a little too quickly.

i've gotten one parking citation.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 1:31 pm

Agreed. I think we're all too eager to start living in a 'Jetsons'-type future, but the technology just seemingly isn't there yet. I can't even trust my phone with auto-correct, much less trust a car to run by itself on the freeway. Maybe in 20-50 years the technology will be perfected, but I'd rather not be a guinea pig for self-driving cars version 1.0.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2017, 4:08 pm

I have a licence (parents pressurized me to get it), but I hate driving and I simply don't do it. When I'm in the car I get this claustrophobic "trapped" feeling, opening the windows helps a bit, but I misjudge distances constantly, lights, cars, signs, people moving - all that confuse me.

I tend to have a jumpy focus - from one thing to another, when I drive. I may notice a rabbit somewhere, but the truck next to me - too late. Or a tram. I can't control this well, especially in a manual gearbox car - changing gears de-focuses me and... it's just dangerous. Plus, as a teenager I had those recurring dreams of me driving and suddenly the steering wheel stops working, brakes stop working and I'm heading straight towards a truck coming at me, or a tree, or fall off a cliff.
Erm, nope. I hate driving. But I'd give a self-driving car a go (low speeds only though haha, no motorways, I don't trust them fully).

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 4:20 pm

My main issue is with other drivers. They are incompetent and I make sure I know the road, drive really well, and generally follow the rules whenever necessary. This doesn't mean going at the speed limit at all times, especially if everyone else is going 10 above. Always move with traffic I guess.

So going to other drivers, they are stupid. They run lights and stops, drive ridiculously fast, and are highly aggressive and hotheaded. The reason for this, I believe, is a bloated ego in humans because humans often think that something they do often is something they're good at, which is simply not true.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 11:23 pm

i suppose it depends on where you live, but the few times i have seen drivers run stops and lights are strange and exceptional cases. i believe most try the best they can, but are bogged down by tight schedules, whiny passengers, crappy cars or just the fact that....driving is unnatural. :lol:

human minds didn't evolve with roaring metal boxes on wheels with colossal kinetic energy in mind and just being on most roads trying to not hit anything or BE hit is stressful enough, in and of itself. which may contribute to irrational driving decisions.

i think driving is pretty fun, and i never exceed 80 MPH even on the loneliest straights. i don't think i have a "bloated ego" while i do it or delude myself into thinking i'm a pro driver. it's hard enough merely setting the cruise control or turning on red.

there are some genuine hotheaded jerks out there who have boundless disregard for the others on the road, though. that is always true.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.