I've been unemployed for 3 years. Anyone beat that?

Page 8 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 4:10 pm

Prior to being hired by the NHS, I was unemployed for six years. I was quite content living in a fantasy world as a trigolyte during the majority of this period. But alas, I finally had to accept the reality of my pitiful situation, and now I work as an admin apprentice in an environment which is extremely overstimulating.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2017, 10:46 pm

if you have a hard time looking for work because of the time between your last job and now, you could always focus on your interests. if there is something you want to do, do it. you have the time and you could get better at what you love to do.

HouseOfMadpeak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2017, 6:54 pm

The job market (in Canada at least) has been bad since 2008. And especially difficult for people social problems and disabilities. Any decent jobs are very competitive. Especially in cities with a lot of students. They typically want people who recently graduated, but also have experience (usually co-op). The jobs in my field (chemistry) have 500 to over 1000 views for one job posting. And they also require social skills.

There are a lot of temporary, part-time, service industry jobs that pay minimum wage. But it is competitive even for those jobs. If you have too much education and are applying for a job that doesn't require it, remove it from your resume.

If you have gaps in your resume, it will work against you. If you are older and your work experience/education indicates your age, it will also work against you.

I would suggest just making stuff up. Something realistic, with skills you have acquired at previous jobs, or use old jobs but just flex the dates. Or add some educational fluff so it doesn't just look like you were unemployed. Like self-employment. Being realistic. I can't lie so I have a hard time making stuff up. I have been unemployed since 2012, but I went to school again in 2014.

Employers should be more realistic about gaps since there are a lot of unemployed people who can't find employment. But they are not. And the job market is in favour of employers right now.

In Canada they have programs that help people with disabilities find a job (a subsidy for employers who hire those with disabilities, also training programs), but the findings have been that the employers keep the employees only as long as they receive the subsidy, then let them go.

dtoxic2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

I last worked a job-type-job in 2004, so that's 13 years.
Been homeless since 2010, living half out of my van and half a sort of squatting situation involving a commercial building.
I do make and occasionally sell some art.

flownawy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2017, 10:11 am

sucessful unemployed since 10 years

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2017, 2:42 pm

I've been unemployed for 10 years with the exception of a brief temporary job for about 3 weeks 7 years ago, and a job for 3 days 6 years ago. I have been sent out on some jobcenter internships recently, though the first one ended in severe meltdowns. The current one is less intensive and is going better.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

After handing in my resignation letter earlier today, I will be leaving my current role with the NHS in four weeks' time. Incidentally, it was my first paid job for over six years, so my future looks somewhat bleak right now. I just cannot seem to cope in the workplace at all. My mind is either blank or extremely foggy, my working memory is non-existent and the dreadfully slow speed at which I learn is pitiful. I highly doubt I will find work again.

What is one to do when one's intellectual IQ is so low? I think I am completely screwed.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 10:56 pm

i've only recently got a zero hour contract job, which they implied was a self-employment sort of thing whatever that means, which is the first paid job i've had since the warehouse job i had 3 years ago, with filling the gap with work experience moderately spaced out. so due to start this job which involves cleaning private homes which basically means homes like the one i'm living in right now, and they assure me they will be vulnerable people i'll be helping out so maybe not so hard for me to deal with - as I consider myself a vulnerable person. As i have a certain ocd with cleaning it might be a tad challenging but i have a good eye for detail which is what they look for in a cleaner i should be alright. so anxiously waiting (good anxious or impatient as it were), for when they ask me to come and ask me to work, as it's been a long time since earning money.

Anne_Fetamine
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2017, 1:20 am

Yes, unfortunately. I haven't had a full-time job since 2007. I've taken some minor freelance work-from-home gigs since then, but nothing that even qualifies as part-time (30 hours per week). And that ended in 2009ish.

Gonna try and hop on the SSI/disability bandwagon soon. Not happy or proud of it, but at some point you gotta stop living in denial and make due with what's available. The town I'm moving to has an unbelievably low cost of living. A 2-story home costs $10,000 to buy outright and the low-rent apartments are dirt cheap, so hopefully I can scrape by on SSI + menial odd jobs. :oops:

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 1:23 am

4. Haven't worked since 2012. :(

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:30 pm

JakeASD wrote:
After handing in my resignation letter earlier today, I will be leaving my current role with the NHS in four weeks' time. Incidentally, it was my first paid job for over six years, so my future looks somewhat bleak right now. I just cannot seem to cope in the workplace at all. My mind is either blank or extremely foggy, my working memory is non-existent and the dreadfully slow speed at which I learn is pitiful. I highly doubt I will find work again.

What is one to do when one's intellectual IQ is so low? I think I am completely screwed.

I don't think its anything to do with your social I.Q, or written I.Q, most probably just mind blindness and vague sensory perceptions, whilst struggling to find focus,being depressed and living on what must feel like borrowed time.
The NHS is another one of lifes poor shortages and unfortunately, it's only going to get worse as time goes on and less offers on the table in which apply for jobs.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 5:02 pm

danum wrote:
I'm 49 and have never had a job; 8 'O' levels, 3 'A' levels, BTEC and City & Guilds.

60, never employed . 6 'O' levels .
Was in line to go to an industrial assessment centre in 1979 but my pdoc said I wasn't well enough. Only voluntary job was helping with going round the wards with the hospital library back when I was 18. It lasted less than a month.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 3:28 pm

I've had temporary jobs and weekend jobs and one full time job which I hated and made me ill with anxiety and stress, having had barely no training, I was thrown in at the deep end. That's retail though for you.
All retail jobs require speed, multi-tasking, an eye on the ball, calmness in the face of a storm that type of thing.
My ma deals with annoying customers on a weekend regular basis and this is probably the worse time for families who are off and the aging population who go out the weekends to be around people, then they tend to spill and knock everything off the stands. I got someone once who wanted me to get them another milk carton because it was open and then blamed me when i said i can't get it, I'm on chechout, but i'll wait if you can get it yourself, obviously the wrong thing to day. I was 18, but even in that situation, I still wouldn't have dealt with being put on the spot well. Guy made a complaint and i lost the s**t job. Thats life.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm

8 years, I think, maybe closer to 9 now.

I'm unemployable.

Lucky I qualify for ESA and PiP with my bag of mental defects.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2017, 7:15 pm

I've been unemployed since 2012, after I was laid off from my last job. I did have a job interview today with an organization that provides services for people with disabilities, and I think this is the only time that having AS might be an asset, along with doing well on their typing test as this was an office job.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:15 pm

3 years and 1 month, no mental defects just a borderline personality disorder, bipolar, dislike being labelled aspergers when they've revised it down to social anxiety which the employment agency assures me they can cure it via mock interviews through the process of rinse and repeat. Not eligible for benefits, been put on 3 year sanction (benefit cut because I wasn't complying with their brutal schemes) and have to lie to my family about still getting money in just to have a place to live in. Been passing courses top of the classes, but nothing came of them.

Annoying that someone with catering experience is more qualified for an IT job than someone who majored in computer science. Sure they were a young girl bursting with enthusiasm but the employer were a group of young geeky guys probably wanting a girl on their team to spice it up a little.