I've been unemployed for 3 years. Anyone beat that?

Page 1 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

Because of my disability, (and my state of mind), it's been major difficult for me to find the right employment for me, especially with all these stupid cut-backs. I've done college coursework, volluntary work, work experiences, interview practices, courses, and even employment counselling, and I've still am nowhere forward than what I was 3 years ago. I am too useless and the economy is too terrible.

Right now I'm doing some computer courses, because I want to have proffessional computer skills, because I want to try and get into work where I'm using the computer, because I feel that the computer is the only thing I'm most confident at, and I think I will be most happy with this. The more complicated, the better, because I do like a challenge, and I am very good at problem-solving on computers when it comes to projects and assignments on the computer. I feel I'm less good when rushing around doing things, because I feel I get in the way, put something somewhere I shouldn't, and I feel embarrassed with my object-blindness issues. So I know that being at a computer will be more beneficial for me.

But anyway, the question is - anyone else been unemployed for over 3 years solid? If so, then I will feel much better, because at the moment I shamefully feel I'm reaching a record here, especially knowing that I've gotten nowhere even after occupying myself with achieving skills.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

It's ok, I got you beat: I'm coming up on 4 years since I quit my last job. And I'm sure there are some people here who've never had a job despite trying.

Arian
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

:oops: Since 4/9/00 :oops:

IQ = 149
Degree = 2.1
Foundations course = Pass with merit
A levels = 3
GCSEs = 7
Willing to learn = Check
Wage = £16,000+
Willing to start at the bottom = Check
Work experience = 7 years
Volunteer work = Check, including handling large amounts of money
Mental health issues = Check (please see AS, associated Depression and Sociophobia)
Willingness to work 2 PT jobs in the place of 1 = No
Area of expertise = Writer, seamstress, statistician
Age = 37
Jobs applied for = 500+
Jobs interviewed for = 16
Jobs offered = 0

:evil:

danum
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2011, 1:51 pm

I'm 49 and have never had a job; 8 'O' levels, 3 'A' levels, BTEC and City & Guilds.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

Going into my 4th year.

"Technically" I'm employed, but at one point I was under a contract and grossed over $20,000--the most I made in a year, actually, was just over $30,000.

I was under the mistaken impression that I could do better so I quit my job for a lower-paying job but better work conditions. I made it for 2 years, which is the most anybody has ever stayed there without looking for higher pay or getting fired. 6 months after my last contract ran out, I got a job offer at a local college extension campus to teach non-credit courses. My pay depends on how many students I see every month, and right now I'm in kind of a slump--but at least I have SOMETHING. I also have a part-time job with my church, and during the year I teach individual piano lessons on the school grounds where I last worked. It's a private school, so I'm not faced with the whole "teachers can't make a profit where they teach" issue.

I also play social engagements and band gigs. I even wrote a little jingle for a local non-profit service organization and got paid for that. So just because I don't have a "job-job" doesn't mean I'm completely useless. But I would point out that having a "job-job" isn't everything. I believe everyone has unique gifts or abilities to offer and can benefit from marketing those abilities. All you really have to do is set a goal, set your expectations for customers/clients, and BE ORGANIZED.

If you feel not having a job is a problem, go into business for yourself.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Thank you so much. I feel better now that I know others who are trying their best are also unemployed.

What gets me is, I have an NT cousin who is 19, and she's as lazy as anything. She was meant to be at college, but keeps on dropping out. She's not willing to do any volluntary work. Yet she's full of confidence, and has the energy to go out on big holidays with friends and go to parties in London (and her friends pay for her). And she gets offered jobs because I suppose when she does attend an interview, she gives off vibes that she's confident and socially able, but she starts then chucks the jobs in because she ''can't be bothered''. She just takes her confidence for graunted. And there's me, doing a lot more than her, with less emotional energy, having to do everything the hard way, yet I don't get offered even a few hours a week job.

PrivateEyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

Well I don't have you beat. It's been a year ago March when I lost my job. I had another job that lasted about 3 weeks last August. I'm going to go into business with a friend some time soon, but I'm receiving disability benefits, so I have time to explore things I want to do.

This is the first time in my life when I haven't had to worry about supporting myself - well, besides when I was a kid. So now I'm more focused on getting the right help for all my problems.

I can understand your anxiety over not finding work. It's difficult nowdays, so don't assume it's because of you.

Computer work sounds cool. I couldn't do it. I wouldn't have a clue other than with software applications. :D

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Thank you so much. I feel better now that I know others who are trying their best are also unemployed.

What gets me is, I have an NT cousin who is 19, and she's as lazy as anything. She was meant to be at college, but keeps on dropping out. She's not willing to do any volluntary work. Yet she's full of confidence, and has the energy to go out on big holidays with friends and go to parties in London (and her friends pay for her). And she gets offered jobs because I suppose when she does attend an interview, she gives off vibes that she's confident and socially able, but she starts then chucks the jobs in because she ''can't be bothered''. She just takes her confidence for graunted. And there's me, doing a lot more than her, with less emotional energy, having to do everything the hard way, yet I don't get offered even a few hours a week job.

Yeah--social people suck!! ! lol

Something else to think about--I've had to do a LOT of things gratis. You get a lot of good experience that way and great networking opportunities. The best thing I did when I relocated where I am now is join the community theater. I made a lot of friends that way and was able to showcase my music in front of captive audiences.

Before I got my church gig, I volunteered to fill in on midweek evening services and sang in the choir on Sundays. When I was between job-jobs, I got an inside tip that the lady who was the regular pianist was moving away and that the church was already looking for someone else to join the staff as part-time accompanist. So while I was already getting resumés out, I just casually dropped a copy off at the church office. I'd already had some visibility there and had unique qualifications that most "traditional" pianists lack. So within a few weeks I'd gotten moved from "temp" status to "permanent" status and have gotten a couple of small pay raises since. Honestly, I would have done the job for free and been just as dedicated as a paid employee, but having a paid position has motivated me to put more into what I do--so I started a handbell duo, chart music for the praise band, assist guest worship leaders (we're currently looking for a new worship pastor), and overall just supervising instrumental music for Sunday morning services. The INTERESTING thing about that is there is a demand for what I do in other, larger churches, and having the experience even as a volunteer qualifies me for better paying jobs with more responsibilities. But it has taken either volunteering or accepting lower pay than what I probably deserve for a LONG time to even feel I might have a chance at getting similar jobs elsewhere. If I wanted to take this to the next level right now, it would take applying to much smaller churches to work as a worship pastor, preferably somewhere that musicians are scarce since I'm interested in developing instrumental music programs in addition to leadership. My social skills are quite poor, so I would need to be in a smaller setting in which "charismatic" leadership is not really a requirement (nobody will ADMIT that this is a requirement in larger churches, but the reality is that it is an unspoken/unwritten rule).

I'm talking about church because it happens to be what I've had the most success at, not just because of something I believe. Initially I was focussed more on "secular" work, but I think many times where you end up is not where you really expect to be. The same thing applies in the secular world of job-hunting. If you have a lot of problems working "under" someone or with a group of co-workers, employment may just not be your thing. If you have an idea for offering some kind of service, it's very likely other people think the same way you do and have shared ideas. I think you have to learn to let go of your ideas and trust people to take the reigns and do your job for you, and that can be the most difficult thing to do sometimes. However, you are the guy in charge and you have the ability to set the pace. Nobody OWNS me, and that can be the best opportunity to building my future.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

Since 2004, and that one only lasted three days. The last job before that was 2001. Age 27 now, living with my parents.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

More than 3 years here. I have not been idle though, I plan to create my own job.

Arian
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Wish I knew what I want to do!! :roll:

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

Can anyone beat having a master's degree (as well as some work experience) and being unemployed for over a year?

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2011, 9:21 pm

I have a 2.2 degree in History and with the exception of a few months have been unemployed since 2002. Nearly a decade.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 11:19 pm

A little over 6 months.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2011, 6:32 am

In 1988 I had an anxiety attack while working in a fast food franchise. Left a week later. For the next ten years I tried several jobs but just couldn't hold a job for more than two weeks at a time.

Eventually I got into a job agency that got me a placement with the boss understanding where I was coming from. 5 days per fortnight for a year and a half until the boss retired and sold up.

As of now, two years since my last job.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:43 am

SadAspy wrote:
Can anyone beat having a master's degree (as well as some work experience) and being unemployed for over a year?

Master's degree here. But, as I've mentioned in previous posts, the whole self-employment/underemployment is starting to turn around.