Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

queelspectacle wrote:
. . . Also, there is a bunch of emphasis in nursing school on 'communicating therapeutically' and being supportive. Having aspergers doesn't mean you won't be able to do well in nursing. I have heard a lot of people say you need good communication and interpersonal skills for nursing but even if social or interpersonal skills are lost on you, you might do really well with patients. it can be easier to interact with patients because you are in a different role, and can sort of follow a script. . .

That's kind of what I found with H&R Block as above, as well as staffing tables in political activism which I've both enjoyed and been good at.

Socializing with co-workers is a much more dicey deal. Sometimes they're playing high school-type hierarchical games and seeing if you're 'worthy' of their time. Or, a lot of it relationship talk and many times I haven't had a romantic relationship. And sometimes I have not had any friends, and that is both embarrassing and detrimental to a new social situation to acknowledge. I guess the solution is to artfully deflect, which I think is okay.

I have had more success bringing in a book I'm working on. Might get some conversation going on an intellectual topic (doesn't always work, but sometimes does)

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :jocolor:

DC1977
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2012, 6:38 am

I am a nurse and although I had a few problems during my training (When I was still undiagnosed) I made it through and started working in the OR, which is perfect for me, lots of instruments, procedures and anatomy to memorise.

As mentioned above though, the biggest problem I had was working with colleagues, I still avoid the break room when possible and try to stay with the people that I do get on with. Although I can get one with everyone in the department, most people think I am a bit weird.

The biggest help has been my manager though, as he has a close relative that is on the spectrum and recognised the traits in me, and has been very supportive throughout my career so far.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the nurse patient relationship is already defined, with plenty of guidelines to follow, so that it so much easier than the free form relationships that occur outwith that situation.

I am glad I did the training and found a niche that suits me perfectly, As should not be a barrier to doing what you want to do in life.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:35 am

Todesking wrote:
The pay is good but I do not like touching people, talking to people, hearing about people's problems, and not to mention I hate to look at, smell, or touch poop or blood. My stress levels would be thru the roof causing me untold amounts of damage to my heart and kidneys due to my extremely high blood pressure going up and down all day long.

If it is what you want to do then go for it. An Aspie thinks differently you might come up with a different approach to help someone that might be better than the traditional method. Your talkative nature might raise a lonely sick person's spirits helping him/her to recover faster. Your inability to sit still might keep you on your toes so you will be checking up on your patients more often compared to the NT nurses. Who knows your autism might become an asset making you a better nurse. :wink:

What about a veterinary technician?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 11:44 am

blueroses wrote:
The job market and pay for nurses is great. If you can handle stress well, I would say go for it.

Personally, I'm in social services and have to handle crises and emotionally-draining situations, like you'd have to do in nursing. I think my AS traits actually help me to stay logical and objective in these sorts of situations. I do tend to get overwhelmed by the stress sometimes and find I need to take good care of myself, in order to avoid burnout, though. Just like with any NT, we have strengths and weaknesses and have to find ways to strike a balance. I wouldn't tell you not to pursue nursing just because of an AS diagnosis.

Is there any way you could shadow a nurse or volunteer at a hospital or home health agency, so you could get a better sense if you'd like it before you start studying towards it? I'd recommend that, if at all possible.

I know this is from almost 11 years ago but it is v relevant and reassuring to me, though I didn’t start this thread. Thank you.