Have you ever had the chicken pox?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

When did you get the chicken pox? (Shingles not included)
3 or younger 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
4-5 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
6-7 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
8-9 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
10-11 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
12 or older 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Never 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
I've had them, but I don't remember when 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
I've actually had them more than one time! 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 41

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
No, and I am going to talk about the vaccine anyway. It's futile. How often does chicken pox kill people? Sure, you don't have the illness once you're vaccinated (most of the time), but you are still susceptible to shingles, sometimes more than if you had the illness.
Many have considered da Pox as a rite of passage of sorts, anyways. Like growing pains. In some ways, I wish I had them.

I wholeheartedly agree.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

I am the only one so far who has had them more than twice. I caught them from my older brothers when I was an infant. I also remember having them simultaneously with my cousin who I spent a lot of time with (basically same age--she was almost one year older). I don't know how old I was then, but probably less than 5. I remember the second ones. The first set I read about in my baby book, and asked my mom about because I haven't heard of many cases of people getting them more than once. Apparently it does happen though!

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
No, and I am going to talk about the vaccine anyway. It's futile. How often does chicken pox kill people? Sure, you don't have the illness once you're vaccinated (most of the time), but you are still susceptible to shingles, sometimes more than if you had the illness.
Many have considered da Pox as a rite of passage of sorts, anyways. Like growing pains. In some ways, I wish I had them.

Agreed!! ! I had them twice, and (not-so-surprisingly) survived them both! lol If I ever have children, I want them to get chicken pox and get them really young. A friend of mine didn't get the until junior high, and she is full of scars because of them. I think that is less likely to happen the younger you are. Anyway, I won't go on a tangent here, just saying I completely agree!

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

I had it twice! As a child and last year. Last year I got the Chicken Pox relapse called Shingles. It appears as a rash that follows along in a straight line, most commonly along your side following a rib.

Normally, senior citizens get this relapse, I somehow was unlucky (or lucky?) enough to get at the prime age of 23! I guess I won't have to worry about its extreme discomfort in my senior years! lucky!

Read about it, it is can make people scream in pain. For me, it was the ultimate sinful itch I had to resist. ^-^;

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 6:26 pm

Infoseeker wrote:
Normally, senior citizens get this relapse, I somehow was unlucky (or lucky?) enough to get at the prime age of 23!

I know someone who had shingles at age 11ish 8O

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 6:31 pm

I also had it twice. The first time I was like 2 or 3 and it wasn't bad at all, my mom said I never acted like it bothered me. Then I got it again when I was 12 and I thought I was going to die. I was so miserable. I had the stupid things everywhere, even in my mouth. I still have scars on my face, arms, and chest from it. Since other people are talking about the vaccine anyway: I don't think they should give it to kids, but chicken pox can be life threatening for adults, so if someone did manage to make it through childhood without getting it, they should get the vaccine.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

Got them in year 5, I was the one that lucked out - I got to stay home by myself (with Mum) for 2 weeks, while my siblings all caught it off me together. I woke up one morning and looked at my stomach then went to my mum and said "I've got the chicken pox". I'd never seen chicken pox before - but I was right.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Infoseeker wrote:
Normally, senior citizens get this relapse, I somehow was unlucky (or lucky?) enough to get at the prime age of 23!

I know someone who had shingles at age 11ish 8O

Yeah, I knew someone in my class who got them when he was in 4th or 5th grade. He was out of school for awhile.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

It's weird but even though I went to public school, and associated with lots of other children I never got it.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

I believe I was 5 or 6. I was in kindergarten at the time.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:30 pm

I have had then at least 4 times. :x

That i know of, I had a really bad outbreak when i was 7. They even filled my stomach and intestines so i had huge amounts of internal bleeding. I was off school for over 4 months.

I then got them when i was 10 after my sister got them. This time wasn't so bad but they were still bloody nasty and i remember getting pimples on top of the pox, which i would pick and now i have a few weird scars.

I then got them mildly when i was 16. I thought i had an STD so went to the clinic. Nope it was chicken pox. LOL. I went to school and stuff because i didn't want to stay at home (I was in a bad home environment and i would have gone out even if i was dying). It was very hard to not scratch in class. LOL.

Then i got them mildly last year after my gorgeous daughter gave them to me. Again it was mild but not as mild as my daughters case. :queen:

So I'm never in a rush

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:34 pm

^ The queen of chicken pox. Impressive.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

I've never had it. The weird thing is that my entire day care got it - except for me and a girl who'd had it prior to that outbreak. I played with a girl there just before she got sick, so I 'should' have had it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm

I got the pox in kindergarten. It wasn't bad compared to the many times I got bad poison ivy.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 10:45 pm

I was 7, and I got sick as hell with some weird complication---fever 104 F, seeing people coming out of the TV set, the doctor coming to my house twice a day and giving me a shot in the rear (yeah, I'm old enough that doctors made house calls when I was a kid). Yeah, I had the chicken pox. Ugh.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

I_am_Alexis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2011, 8:53 am

I've never had the chicken pox.