Post something that made you UNHAPPY today.

Page 1042 of 1992 [ 31867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1039, 1040, 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1045 ... 1992  Next

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:23 am

Tiredness

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 11:13 am

The morning news. NOS. Pretty much all of it.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 11:57 am

Some kid threw a rock, so hard I felt the impact in the ground with my feet, at either me or the swan who was standing just in front of me on the edge of the bank of the lake. The rock may have hit the swan's foot, because the swan "danced" his feet and freaked out.

I freaked out too, shouting at this bunch of kids who threw that? It's a criminal act, wildlife are protected, etc etc. The kids ran on and some other kid claimed not to know which one threw it.

My back had been turned and they were either aiming the rock at my back and missed and it landed on or by the swan's foot, or aiming at the swan. Either way I was blazing with anger and reported it to the principal of the school the kids are from.

It is absolutely HIDEOUS to aim a rock at an animal. If he was aiming at me that's hideous too.

Why can't people respect wildlife -- or for that matter, the people who do care about them, like me?

I monitor these birds and had not gotten to spend time with this particular pair in months until the other day.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 12:04 pm

^^ oh no! Bad enough that it happened at all, but it happened to one of the ones you thought was lost?

That's awful.

I am glad for you that you didn't freeze up and were able to react strongly and immediately.

(I am very conservative about this, though otherwise generally liberal: that "they don't know any better" is bullshyte; if someone is capable of feeling pain, they are capable of understanding that it is wrong to inflict it.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

Yes, I'm glad I managed to react right away with firmness; I think I have almost that "Mama Lion" or Mama Bear thing about my bird friends, where I feel so protective of them that I am able to go straight into gear when something happens to them; a bit like they are my own children.

In many other things in life I don't even process fast enough! With my birds, I seem to. They transform me in more ways than one, lol!

And yes, this was the pair that I haven't been able to track down for most of the year, and I was worried. They usually stay at another pond in the area, but were not there either and must have left the entire locality. I was SOOO glad to see that they are back.

They came straight to me to get a little feed and just spend time; we have a huge bond, and we were enjoying having it back today. Then my poor Bo got a rock on his foot!

Afterwards I made sure to visually inspect him and make sure he wasn't limping, there was no bleeding, etc. He seems to be okay but they have very dull nerves in the feet, in order to cope with submersion in cold water, and there could be a fracture.

I am so horrified at some kids' cruel lack of respect for wildlife. We do have people shooting and maiming swans -- people seem to love taking out a lot of aggression on them.

The awful thing they don't know is how great these animals are. Swans aren't as horrible as some people believe; they are amazingly sweet animals when not being threatened.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:30 pm

^^ there really does seem to be an urge to destroy beauty, that shows up in our species. I don't get it, and I'm glad.

Also glad that there's no overt injury visible. Hoping there's no damage that went undetected.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:42 pm

Thank you so much for caring, Esmerelda! I really appreciate it!

Yes, I'm hoping there's no damage; if Bo and his little wife stick around I will continue to monitor his feet and his walking gait, to see if there is any change, any limping or swelling.

He's such a wonderful, dignified, proud boy, it's truly saddening to see him hit by a rock like that. I'd rather that rock had struck me than my darling boy.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

My knee is hurting

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 6:16 pm

I had my first full blown meltdown in nearly a year.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Oct 2017, 10:50 pm

Our refrigerator & freezer that's on top are NOT working. We noticed last night before bed that the freezer was leaking alot of water & things were unthawing. We were hoping that the fridge was still working but we found out today that it's not either. There's still some coldness in both but NOT as cold as things need to be. I called property management today & they sent someone out to check it out but nothing's going to happen till Monday & it's Friday night now. We threw away alot of food already because it unthawed & we wouldn't be able to use it in time to save it. This means we'll have to buy ALOT more cold food 1ce we have a new one or it's fixed(it's an old fridge so we're hoping it'll be replaced). I doubt property management will pay us back for the cost of food so I'm really hoping that my parents will mail me a check after I call em in a couple nights. My expenses got worse a couple months ago cuz we adopted a rabbit & I've been spending more in a month than I have coming in from Social Security Disability. My girlfriend doesn't have much money either cuz she's on SSI & has a lot of credit-card debt.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

BirdInflight,

That's just awful! I hate people who are mean to animals! They are just plain mean people all around.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 10:26 am

IstominFan, thank you, and yes I hate people like that too. I just cannot wrap my head around someone having an urge to cause random harm to a random animal out of sheer contempt or spite, and not even in self defense. Poor swan was just standing next to me enjoying some grain.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 10:27 am

Kitty, I hope your knee gets better; it's miserable to have an injury like that.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

I'm grumpy

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:01 pm

Nagged by mother about making medical appt.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 4:24 pm

Food poisoning. Can't figure out where it came from. Started making me unhappy at about 2 A.M. - so I've been living on tea, cream of rice, and activated charcoal caps. Frustrated; I had a lot of things to do today and they've all been pushed into next week.