Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2006, 10:43 pm

I love LOTR! Smeagol (Gollum) is my favorite character.

Breanainn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2006, 6:17 am

I'm big into Tolkien's work, and liked the Peter Jackson films a lot, even if he did miss bits out from the books... The only major thing that narks me is his depiction of the Balrog and Sauron... But then the exact appearance of Tolkien's Balrogs is one of the biggest debates going in the fandom... So I doubt Jackson would have been able to please everybody... And he's already admitted that his depiction of Sauron was a mistake ([NERD]lines in the text of the book sugest that he did have a physical body at the time of the war, with the Eye of Sauron being a metaphor for his omnipotent knowledge, and was also thusly used as his personal motif much as Saruman used the White Hand as his[/NERD]). Otherwise it rocked. :P

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 7:28 pm

I read the books in preparation for the movies, and didn't like them because I found Tolkien's writing style boring and over-descriptive. However, when the films came out I bashed them for being untrue to the books' story--mainly because they had less of Arwen. (I can't stand Liv Tyler. Heheh.) However, eventually I realized how stupid I was being to base my entire opinion of a film based on one singular thing, so by the time "Return of the King" came out, I became a junkie for those movies. I now count them as some of my most favorite films ever made, and own the Extended Edition DVD's. I still dislike the books though--I respect Tolkien's imagination, but actually reading the books is just too much like reading a textbook.