Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:04 am

I've read the series twice and love it. My favorite book, though, is the Silmarillion. :D

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:57 am

I enjoy reading the books wasted. It is magical. Seriously.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 5:13 pm

I've read the books twice.I've also read "The Hobbit" and "The Silmilirion"(did I spell that right?).

I've seen all 3 movies,and both Theatrical AND extended Edition,like 100,000 TIMES!

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE LOTR!! !

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2005, 10:37 am

I have read the Hobbit, great book.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2005, 10:08 pm

SpaceCase, it's spelled "Silmarillion", but we Tolkienites often refer to it as "The Sil" for short. ;)

Went to a friend's b-day party today and we watched the theatrical version of RotK. It was good, even though I've seen it almost enough times to memorize it and say every line before the characters do, even the Elvish bits (what little there actually is, sadly). Her brother (who is a Tolkienite, as well) and I spent nearly the whole movie discussing various concepts such as the Dead Men of Dunharrow (and their history), the Elven rings, Radagast, Tom Bombadil and the different types of trolls. It was a very interesting discussion and it's been a long time since I've talked to someone who knows more about LotR than I do. ;)

I guess you could say it's one of my obsessions. I also enjoy some of the commentary that other authors have written on the books. I also love writing fan fiction, mostly deeper stuff (especially about the mentally tortured characters, including Elrond). However, most of my writing is about daily life in Rivendell when the twins are growing up. Definately an obsession. :D

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 12:37 pm

I haven't seen the 3rd one yet. Is it good? I enjoyed the other two.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 1:39 pm

Read the books twice over, the Silmarillion once... I also read the Tolkien Reader which has a series of poems about Tom Bombadil's adventures (which I think is part of the canon). also: my most prized possession!! (linky) Collected all into one big book the way Tolkien intended :) They apparently just released an even newer version which is 'leather' instead of 'leatherette' but its not red! Its the "Red Book of Westmarch" damnit!!

Movie-wise I still haven't seen the RotK extended version; I liked the movies but there are some changes from the book that I just don't understand why they had to make them (like Frodo turning on Sam?? WTF was that??) Also, nothing personal, but it really bugs me when people watch the movies without bothering to read the books. Sorry it just does.

If you can EVER find the Leonard Nimoy music video of his Bilbo Baggins song, complete with dancing elf girls in the background, consider yourself a very lucky person :lol: :lol:

okay okay im done

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 7:41 pm

RobertN wrote:
I haven't seen the 3rd one yet. Is it good? I enjoyed the other two.

Yeah,it's better than the other two!

:D SpaceCase :D

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 12:55 am

Personally, I liked the third one. My major complaint, however, was that they took out the scouring of the Shire part, which I dearly loved and cherished in the books.

But people complain about the movie already having too many endings, anyways...

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 12:03 pm

Yeh i was looking forward to that part... Allthogh i gave up halfway throogh 2 Towers and never actaully got to Return of the King, i did reed ahed a bit (its my curse that i can never reed a book without reeding the end at sum point) and i thort that bit was reelly good. It was kinda like "the circle is complete", u no what i meen? the trilogy ended were it started. And allso, i felt it wood have been a good endgame for the films.

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 10:38 pm

My favorite part of the book was the "Voice of Saruman" I didn't see the special edition of Two Towers but I heard it had the part.

I hear The Hobbit is coming!
but first NARNIA

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 11:18 pm

Mithrandir, I think the voice of Saruman part is in the third movie, if I'm not mistaken. There was something about them wanting to keep all of the literal calendar within the same movie or something like that. Either or they ran out of time in the second movie and decided to stick it into RotK. :roll:

I can't wait for Narnia, either! That was what got me interested in Tolkien...

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 11:28 pm

I haven't seen The Lord of the Rings movies nor have I read any of Tolkien's works. And I've only read two Narnia books.

*waits for the wrath of Namiko*

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 4:24 pm

Your a die-hard Harry Potter fan, as far as i can tell, so you shoud try and reed sum of the other major fantasy series as well...

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2005, 4:11 am

The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales did something unpleasant to my attention span. I forced my way throuh The Sil, but skimmed most of it, and I got about 3 pages into Unfinished Tales before giving up.

But The Hobbit and the trilogy itself are among my favorite books of all time.

Though reading them tends to bum me out, as I'm an aspiring fantasy writer, but can't even come close to what Tolkein did.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2006, 10:43 pm

I love LOTR! Smeagol (Gollum) is my favorite character.