Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

Does anyone here deal with low energy levels? I ask because I've struggled with this for a long time. It affects my concentration and my ability to deal with be productive in life. I have found ways to compensate for it, but it can be debilitating at times. I feel tired most of the time.

When it comes to doing stuff I like, I'm able to concentrate just fine and can do so for extended hours. But when it comes to doing difficult tasks like studying, I get very lethargic and low energy. Sometimes I will get disoriented and/or fall asleep.

I've found some ways to deal with it, including ADHD medication (stimulants), but it's not really a solve-all. I also don't really like taking medication as it makes me much more anxious.

Are there any ways that I can raise my energy levels? Would regular exercise help? I try to eat fairly well.

Edit: Should mention that it's not only when I'm studying. It's whenever I have any sort of sensory overload. I've gotten that way out at the grocery store before, for example. I don't think it's a true shutdown of sorts, but it definitely does feel like someone is pulling a "switch" in my brain and it goes from on to off.

Last edited by syrella on 25 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2011, 10:03 pm

Take B vitamins and exercise. Do some running and you'll notice an increase in your energy levels.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

stilldays wrote:
Take B vitamins and exercise. Do some running and you'll notice an increase in your energy levels.

B Vitamins and running? Okay, I'll try that. Any recommendation on how long per day?

Thanks for the advice!

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm

Hi Syrella, it could be many things, but I would address your liver health first

Google liver congestion symptoms, and see if your liver function is okay. Doctors tests dont always show much.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm

Surfman wrote:
Hi Syrella, it could be many things, but I would address your liver health first

Google liver congestion symptoms, and see if your liver function is okay. Doctors tests dont always show much.

Hmm... I haven't heard of the liver being implicated before. I don't drink alcohol or take any drugs (besides the ADHD stuff, and that's not all that often since i don't like the stuff), but it might be worth looking into. I'll keep it in mind. Will do a bit of research later, too. Maybe I can find something out about it.

I first noticed the problems with fatigue when I was 12-13. I went in for a few blood tests, but they didn't find anything wrong. I'm 25 now and still struggling with it. I just assumed it was neurological in origin, since there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with me, but I don't know.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

As someone has already said, the b-vitamins are essentially important.
i also have low energy levels, started taking a b-12 vitamin and felt better almost instantly.

I took it under my toungue though and let it dissolve for rapid release into my blood stream.
being tired all the time is not normal, and while i do enjoy sleeping low enery sucks

Get plenty of rest, dont drink too much alcohol and drink plenty of water. Eating healthy is also a good idea along with getting enough sleep at night

good luck!

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm

Exercise is very important, especially running as mentioned. It is too easy to fall into the habit of being lazy. Good diet helps also. It has to become a lifestyle.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 11:39 pm

Thanks for the replies and recommendations!

I do exercise, but I'll admit that it's hard to stay consistent. I need to make it a routine, as others have mentioned. I'll keep at it and hopefully work past this stuff. Maybe vitamins can help too...

I'd love to have energy again and not feel so tired and sleepy all of the time.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

If you are that tired, you need to see a doctor. There are many serious illnesses which cause chronic fatigue.

I am constantly tired because I have an autoimmune disease. I first had symptoms when I was 12.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 9:38 am

Is your thyroid gland okay? It doesn't necessary get checked in regular blood tests in Germany, so it may be like that in other countries too. There are quite a few doctors who don't know how to read the results either, so one has to be careful in case the levels are almost normal, but not quite. And the levels can change, of course, so having it tested, even like, 3 years ago can be pretty meaningless.

Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism can add to symptoms of ADD or ADHD such as fatigue or difficulties to concentrate (that the medication for AD(H)D can't take care of). Wikipedia makes it sound severe, but because it is required to check the thyroid gland before starting medication for AD(H)D where I live, there are quite a few adults who have it not as bad (and never noticed before), but feel physically fitter since they're treated for it.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

Well, my dad has ADHD pretty bad and I've got an uncle with Asperger's. ADHD runs on my mom's side of the family too, since my cousin has it. That's probably where I got it from, and it probably is genetic. I am the only one who is struggling with the energy levels problem, though. And it's mostly been a silent thing, since I have done a pretty good job compensating for it. I still manage to get quite a bit done during the day. The difference is just that I tire out much more easily than those around me and I'm especially vulnerable when I don't get enough sleep.

Honestly, I just assumed it was all in my head, though, or related to ADHD. But there may be some other underlying cause that I'm not aware of... more than once, I've heard people speaking about the autism-gut connection. It rings true for my experiences too. I had a lot of trouble with constant stomach aches when I was little. So maybe there really is something wrong.

And no, the psychiatrist I saw did not have me go in for any medical checkups. Perhaps that was an oversight on his part. I probably should just go in and get everything checked out again, to make sure.

Okay, thanks again for the advice. I'll keep investigating and see if I can't get to the bottom of it all.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 10:32 am

I hope you can figure it out soon. The mother of a family I know has ADD like her children, but hypothyroidism on top and complained about feeling tired for the longest time until she figured it out. Having low energy levels just temporarily is horrible, I can never stand it, so having them for a long time must feel much worse. I guess at best it turns out to be something you can change yourself such as an aspect of your diet rather than something more complicated.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

Getting regular consistent sleep, exercise and feeling motivated in life (Through pursuing some intrinsically important goal) has helped me overcome sleepiness. I might still feel sleepy from time to time, but the motivation easily overcomes it.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

Sora wrote:
I hope you can figure it out soon. The mother of a family I know has ADD like her children, but hypothyroidism on top and complained about feeling tired for the longest time until she figured it out. Having low energy levels just temporarily is horrible, I can never stand it, so having them for a long time must feel much worse. I guess at best it turns out to be something you can change yourself such as an aspect of your diet rather than something more complicated.

It isn't fun to be tired all the time, but it could be much worse. It could be chronic pain or something. At this stuff is a bit more manageable.

I think with a little time and patience, I can work out a good solution. When I get my health insurance settled, I'm gonna make a few doctor's appointments. If they can't find anything physically wrong, then at least I can say I tried. In the meantime, I'll work on the lifestyle modifications.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

i've been exhausted all my life, like the energy drained out of me completely. which is kind of funny, because i've been very hyperactive. i'd walk for miles, fast, while running for a few minutes, switching to walking, then running again. but i can't run half as long as other people do without been overwhelmed by exhaustion. it bothers me a lot. and very short breath, too.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

swbluto wrote:
Getting regular consistent sleep, exercise and feeling motivated in life (Through pursuing some intrinsically important goal) has helped me overcome sleepiness. I might still feel sleepy from time to time, but the motivation easily overcomes it.

Indeed, motivation and attitude are two very important parts to the equation. I do my best to stay positive and also to have reasonable goals. I regularly accomplish what I set out to do, too. :D I just wish I was less tired and sleepy in the process. That is all.