Angry when you can't get something right ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

I find myself getting very angry if I cannot do something, even things I should just be enjoying, like casual games.
I am wondering if anyone has this problem, where they seem to get upset over failing at things, rather than being able to just accept it as a weak point.

I ask because I have been playing some mini games on neopets, and get very annoyed and frustrated when I cannot do as well as I think I should.
I was also this way when I tried learning to paint and could not get anywhere very fast.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I find myself getting very angry if I cannot do something, even things I should just be enjoying, like casual games.

This is me when I'm playing Guitar Hero.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 8:46 pm

I get angry when I'm driving and get lost or can't use the map or other navigation device. Compounding anger is anxiety that comes from uncertainty about the timeline in navigating around a roadblock or traffic jam or not knowing whether I can get "there" from "here".

Yesterday I thought "I'm so angry!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6KjNmN2BA[/youtube]

I actually get this angry from time to time. I don't like it, so it's a good thing it's almost never directed at a person and doesn't happen every day.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

When my daughter was very little, between 5 and 7 years old, she got REALLY mad when she tried something new and she failed. It was like she was supposed to do everything perfect by default. I insisted she should try again, that nobody is perfect, and the only way of becoming really good at something is trying again and again until you got it right. That way she became really good in a lot of things, and today she is more tolerant to failure. She still does not like it, but now she can fail without making a scene.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:51 pm

It depends.

Regarding games I may become judgemental and criticize the game designers. Especially if I'm trying to get past an obstacle in the game that is really stupid.

There where a few moments in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 like that. First a dumb platform hopping obstacle that someone this powerful in the Force shouldn't have to deal with. Then later a giant monster knocks me off a ledge and I die. I just said screw it and turned off the game.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

Ilka wrote:
When my daughter was very little, between 5 and 7 years old, she got REALLY mad when she tried something new and she failed. It was like she was supposed to do everything perfect by default. I insisted she should try again, that nobody is perfect, and the only way of becoming really good at something is trying again and again until you got it right. That way she became really good in a lot of things, and today she is more tolerant to failure. She still does not like it, but now she can fail without making a scene.

I tend to be like this, even at my advanced age... I expect to somehow be perfect or near it, right away, assuming that others didn't have to take so much time to reach a stage of being very good at whatever it happens to be.

If I cannot be good right away, I tend to consider myself to be stupid and such things.
It is crazy over silly little games on neopets, but I see these insanely high scores, that are perhaps 8-10 times my own score on trying, and decide I can't be good at anything if I can't even get a decent score on such seemingly simple little games, lol.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

This is me when I'm playing Guitar Hero.

And me when the servers are laggy and I get killed before the guy even comes around the corner. There's nothing I can do about that, but when I'm playing, it annoys me to no end because I know I should have been able to retaliate.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

No. I'm usually a good sport with myself or others.

I get angry if I'm being screwed over, but its an anger which is controlled and usually altruistic, like an angry parent, a cop giving you a growl, or admonishing a bad dog