Do you hear a voice in your head when you read?

Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

yep i hear my own voice. no pictures.

funny how you all sound like me! :wink:

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 10:33 am

Verdandi wrote:
serenity wrote:
What I'm finding odd is that the poll on your thread is showing the opposite of most of these posts. I always assumed that most people on the spectrum thought in pictures, so I figured they'd read in them, too.

When I read, I translate the words into pictures, and if I recall what I read, I do not remember the words but what I visualized when I read them. I always thought this was somewhat odd/interesting, but I never realized anyone might think differently before the past year.

This creates some dissonance when a book I've read and strongly visualized is translated to film.

But while I'm reading I do not subvocalize and I hear the words.

That sounds right for me, too.
I can imagine voices, when I want to, but I don't just hear words in an imagined voice as I read. I have exactly the same "but they got that wrong!" feeling when I see someone else's visualization of something I read. Reading is almost like dreaming-images and ideas flow through my mind and the imagined things have a quality very like memories.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

I hear a voice in my head when I read. I can also picture what I'm reading at the same time, but not the words. I hear the words.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

I hear my inner voice when I read, and I think in the same voice too. I'm not sure how similar it sounds to my actual voice. I don't change it for different characters or anything like that (I've actually always had a hard time doing voice changes when I read aloud). My inner voice does get louder if a character yells or gets angry, but that's about it for variation. I also get visualizations along with the words when I read. I've tried, but I can't stop doing either one as they both seem automatic, and I doubt I would comprehend at all if I didn't do both of those things.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 10:28 pm

No.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 10:33 pm

I hear a voice when I read something. It's hard to explain what it "sounds" like. It doesn't really sound like anyone in particular (it doesn't even sound like my own voice).

On the other hand. When I'm reading a quote or a line from a movie and I know what the person sounds like, I always hear it in their voice and their speaking style.

I just realized something interesting while reading the previous posts in this thread.
When I read a book, I can picture the scene such as buildings, cars and objects very clearly in my head. The actual characters, however, are like human shaped voids. They're just "blank". It's really hard do picture the features of the character beyond short, tall and what kind of clothes they're wearing.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

ChameleonKeys
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2013, 11:32 pm

No, I don't have an inner voice that says what I read. I'm Deaf and until I learned to sign I thought only in pictures or silent movie style inner-visualisations. After learning to sign, I see a mixture of images and video as before with the addition of seeing specific signs (mostly for abstract concepts that I otherwise have less clear visual representations for).

Mentally seeing signs is akin to mentally hearing words but as it is visual it compliments my existing means of thought very well.

Edit to add: I read very quickly. For example, yesterday I went to the library on my lunch break and read two books cover to cover. I also realised I 'see' more actual language when imagining explaining part of what I'm reading to someone else, or trying to mentally summarise as I go.

Last edited by ChameleonKeys on 02 Oct 2013, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 11:42 pm

I visulize what I read and hear the voices correct to the person speaking or if its the narrater or a genaric piece of literature its usually a verson of mine, I also have cought myself meny times mouthing out the words I read. I read slowly.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

yes its Ass Ketchum telling me to read less books play more video games

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2013, 8:54 am

Don't quote me on this.
Nearly everyone hears a voice. People who can speed read fastest are those who have learned to not hear a voice and thus able to comprehend text faster.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 11:26 am

i dont hear voices at all

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

I hear a voice. It is quiet, mumbling and low-pitched, struggling to speak amongst the various earworms and colourful pictures blaring in my head.

catboy777
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2013, 8:12 pm

I have an inner voice. It's pretty sad that since I'm a writer that I create my own characters' dialogue and yet I have a terrible time communicating.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 8:50 pm

Not sure if reading silently is the same thing. I do have an inner voice when I read, but that's about it. I don't think in pictures either, but I don't have inner thoughts about what I've read... I'm professionally approved self diagnosed Dyslexic... :?

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 11:31 pm

I think the term for that is "subvocalization."

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2014, 5:03 am

No, not really. I come up with more voices when I'm writing than reading. I speed read a little bit, too, not reading every word, just skimming through. That probably has something to do with it, I probably would have a voice if I actually concentrated on all the words!

Aspie and proud- most of the time.